Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nov 03 2011
By: flyoffacliff_ Hekseville Citizen 356 posts

GPS

16 replies 9 views Edited Nov 3, 2011

If I buy the one with 3G and wifi, and don't have a 3g data plan, can I still use the GPS?

Earn a free PlayStation Vita by completing offers OR referring people.
Message 1 of 17 (9 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Re: GPS

Nov 3, 2011

I don't think anyone can give you a definate answer on that yet, but IMO GPS should still work. Also the specs for the US Vita suggests that the Wifi version will have GPS too...

Message 2 of 17 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
758 posts

Nov 3, 2011

Interesting,  but it would still only work in your wifi area right? 

Message 3 of 17 (9 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Nov 3, 2011

I really don't know, GPS can be done (roughly) through wifi. When Sony advertised the Vita it suggested that GPS would be built into all units. I think it was a European press release that stated that GPS would be in the 3G version only, but the US specs don't show that limitation. I would tend to believe that the European specs are correct, but no one has clarified what the exact situation is when it comes to GPS and the Vita.

I sure I won't know for sure until the US Wifi version is released....

Message 4 of 17 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Nov 3, 2011

@Logical_Dolphin actually durring the August 17th sony did a press release of the ps vita with all the specs.

it says GPS is for 3G/Wifi only. for some reason though they did not update the site on the tech spec section. It only uses a WiFi location support witch is for Near, not GPS.

http://us.playstation.com/corporate/about/press-release/playstation-vita-expands-its-entertainment-e...

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 5 of 17 (9 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Nov 3, 2011

Thanks for the update. Thinking about it it probably doesn't really matter if the Wifi version doesn't have GPS, since it has location services for a Wifi hotspot. 3G users would need GPS since they can access the internet anywhere they can't access wifi...

Message 6 of 17 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
667 posts

Nov 4, 2011

Just as a clarification, GPS is a specific satellite-based positioning system.

You can't get GPS via wifi, but you can get a location service. It is less robust and less precise than GPS, but in cases where GPS is not available it is a usable replacement in enough cases to be worthwhile.

Sorry, but as a professional geek I get a bit touchy about terminology from time to time.

Message 7 of 17 (9 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Nov 4, 2011

radix023 wrote:

Just as a clarification, GPS is a specific satellite-based positioning system.

You can't get GPS via wifi, but you can get a location service. It is less robust and less precise than GPS, but in cases where GPS is not available it is a usable replacement in enough cases to be worthwhile.

Sorry, but as a professional geek I get a bit touchy about terminology from time to time.

I understand that, but my understanding is that the 3G version (and most smartphones) don't actually have true (satellite based)GPS either. It is using the cell phone towers to triangulate a position, probably much cheaper than actually putting GPS antennas in the phone.

Message 8 of 17 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Nov 4, 2011

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

I don't think anyone can give you a definate answer on that yet, but IMO GPS should still work. Also the specs for the US Vita suggests that the Wifi version will have GPS too...

The spec clearly state that the GPS is only on the 3G model. The main web page for the PSVita still has not been updated to show that, but there is another page with it on.

Message 9 of 17 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Nov 4, 2011

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

I understand that, but my understanding is that the 3G version (and most smartphones) don't actually have true (satellite based)GPS either. It is using the cell phone towers to triangulate a position, probably much cheaper than actually putting GPS antennas in the phone.

If it states GPS it should be actual GPS, what also happens is that some cellphones use aGPS (assisted GPS), what this means is that instead of waiting for the GPS signal itself to transmit the alamanac of where the satellites are it pull is from an internet source over the 3G signal, allowing for quicker, more accurate lockup of the signal and location.

What we need to see from the PSVita is does it use aGPS and can it do just GPS with out the assistance, can it get the alamanac from wifi?

I would like to use the GPS with out the 3G signal so i would like to know this as well.

Message 10 of 17 (9 Views)
0 Likes