Treasure Hunter
5911 posts

Re: GPS only on the wifi/3g model, problem?

Sep 10, 2011

Solar_Difusion wrote:

They are different things, yes.  But the GPS chip in the Vita, and in many cell phones, uses the 3G towers to quickly determine it's location, rather than relying on the GPS Satellites, only.

Assisted GPS is an option, not a requirement. All GPS recievers can operate on satellite signals only.

Everyone thinks I'm psychotic (except my friends deep inside the earth).
Message 11 of 17 (30 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Sep 11, 2011

GeekGod wrote:

Solar_Difusion wrote:

They are different things, yes.  But the GPS chip in the Vita, and in many cell phones, uses the 3G towers to quickly determine it's location, rather than relying on the GPS Satellites, only.

Assisted GPS is an option, not a requirement. All GPS recievers can operate on satellite signals only.

Actually, that depends on the chip.  Some AGPS chips do not have the ability to use Satellites only and their own processing power to determine their location; they HAVE to use the mobile network to do so.  Not a technical limitation, I'm sure... most likely one that simply forces you to obtain a data plan from a mobile provider.

Message 12 of 17 (30 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5911 posts

Sep 11, 2011

Is that actually a limitation of the receiver, or simply a requirement of the carrier polluted software on branded phones? I've owned several non-branded phones with GPS, and all of them had the ability to turn A-GPS off and function as a stand alone GPS (no data).

If it's actually a hardware limitation, then those phones probably don't really have a GPS receiver chip and are implementing some kind of software GPS function.

Anyway... I'm still not convinced the Vita WiFi will not have GPS. Nothing was said at E3 or on the US site about that. The leaked spec sheet was from Europe, which very well may be different (or could have been an early spec that has since been changed). It just seems like a huge oversight on Sony's part to not distinguish the GPS feature in the model names (WiFi-only, or WiFi+3G+GPS).

Message 13 of 17 (30 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Sep 11, 2011

GeekGod wrote:

Anyway... I'm still not convinced the Vita WiFi will not have GPS. Nothing was said at E3 or on the US site about that. The leaked spec sheet was from Europe, which very well may be different (or could have been an early spec that has since been changed). It just seems like a huge oversight on Sony's part to not distinguish the GPS feature in the model names (WiFi-only, or WiFi+3G+GPS).

The spec sheets I have seen are from Japan and the Gamescon one, the original from Japan (written in English) was released at the time of the PSV unveiling announcement and that mentioned GPS only on the 3G model.

The Gamescon version (which was not leaked it was an official press release as they both were) was updated to include the RAM, VRAM amounts, so why would they leave in an incorrect spec for GPS in the 3G model only?

It makes sense only to put it in the 3G model only, the extra $50 is not just for the GSM sub system but also the GPS. Also if users want to use aGPS feature they can (or if they are unaware of it AT&T can get extra cash from users who use it with realising). I do hope the GPS can be used without 3G, that is what GPS is ... a global positioning system using the GPS satellites around the world.

Also here is the official press realease from the US site:

http://us.playstation.com/corporate/about/press-release/playstation-vita-expands-its-entertainment-e...

Specs on the UK site:

http://uk.playstation.com/psvita/?tab=specifications

And the press release from Hong Kong:

http://asia.playstation.com/hk/en/news/pressDetail/227740

Message 14 of 17 (30 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5911 posts

Sep 12, 2011

I stand corrected.

Well that's bad, because that means it's very likely the GPS will be using AT&T's sucky pay-for-play Navigator service. So you will have to pay to use the GPS, as well as 3G (separate charges).

Message 15 of 17 (30 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
524 posts

Sep 12, 2011

Another bloody cash sucker... Great.

From your comment I guess AT&T's Navigator isn't very good? What's wrong with it?

Pro skill. Definition: Being too sexy at something for your own good.
Message 16 of 17 (30 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Sep 12, 2011

GeekGod wrote:

I stand corrected.

Well that's bad, because that means it's very likely the GPS will be using AT&T's sucky pay-for-play Navigator service. So you will have to pay to use the GPS, as well as 3G (separate charges).

The only thing we currently know the GPS is for is 'near' services, such as finding who is playing what in your vicinity, and where you have travelled and what gifts you can collect because they were left there by another user. Also I expect some games may use it like the afore mentioned Tag (If you have a GPS on your PSV, or Skyhook otherwise).

But there has been no mention of navigation software, and due to the PSPs navigation software being dropped and not supported very well we will have to see what happens. It may take a third party to implement it, but will AT7T want to rewrite their software to use on a PSV?

Message 17 of 17 (30 Views)
0 Likes