Highlighted
Sep 10 2011
By: duarte1234 First Son 25 posts

GPS only on the wifi/3g model, problem?

16 replies 342 views Edited Sep 10, 2011

For the last few days, i've been wondering if the gps would be in in both wifi and wifi/3g models of the ps vita and aperantly its only on the 3g model. Is it a problem for certain games like TAG for example, I heard that it uses gps coordenates to find other peoples tags, does it mean that the wifi only models wont be able to use the same features that TAG uses on the 3g model that has gps, or wont work at all?

Message 1 of 17 (342 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Re: GPS only on the wifi/3g model, problem?

Sep 10, 2011

duarte1234 wrote:

For the last few days, i've been wondering if the gps would be in in both wifi and wifi/3g models of the ps vita and aperantly its only on the 3g model. Is it a problem for certain games like TAG for example, I heard that it uses gps coordenates to find other peoples tags, does it mean that the wifi only models wont be able to use the same features that TAG uses on the 3g model that has gps, or wont work at all?

Both models also use 'Skyhook wirless' technology that uses a large database of MAC addresses for wifi accesspoints around the world for triangulation data. For the GPS version is helps speed up the lock, for the wifi only model it provides a GPS like function but less accurate and will not work were there are no wifi signals (like if you are out in a park).

More details have yet to be announced but it is for this reason I would prefer the 3G model even if I do not use the 3G part.

Message 2 of 17 (342 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
25 posts

Sep 10, 2011

Interesting, its bad that sony seperated the gps from the wifi only, cause I was lookong forward to it, and I dont know If Im willing to pay 300 for the 3g version.

Message 3 of 17 (342 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Sep 10, 2011

duarte1234 wrote:

Interesting, its bad that sony seperated the gps from the wifi only, cause I was lookong forward to it, and I dont know If Im willing to pay 300 for the 3g version.

They did not seperate it, it was never included in the first place. Spec sheets released at time of launch stated that the GPS unit was only in the 3G model but most people over looked this including websites that reposted the specs.

Message 4 of 17 (342 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
524 posts

Sep 10, 2011

CaptainHuggyface wrote:

duarte1234 wrote:

Both models also use 'Skyhook wirless' technology that uses a large database of MAC addresses for wifi accesspoints around the world for triangulation data. For the GPS version is helps speed up the lock, for the wifi only model it provides a GPS like function but less accurate and will not work were there are no wifi signals (like if you are out in a park).

More details have yet to be announced but it is for this reason I would prefer the 3G model even if I do not use the 3G part.

Forgive me for my ignorance, but don't you have to actually use 3G to access the GPS?

Pro skill. Definition: Being too sexy at something for your own good.
Message 5 of 17 (342 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
25 posts

Sep 10, 2011

No, gps and 3g are diferent things. At least its what I know.

Message 6 of 17 (342 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
524 posts

Sep 10, 2011

Uhh, that's blindingly obvious, what I meant is that you need to get on the internet or something to actually USE GPS. Oh, I don't know! I never cared to have GPS, when I can just look at a map or something

Message 7 of 17 (342 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Sep 10, 2011

delkata777 wrote:

CaptainHuggyface wrote:

duarte1234 wrote:

Forgive me for my ignorance, but don't you have to actually use 3G to access the GPS?

I doubt it, GPS signals come from satellites that are rotating aroung the earth, they are freely available signals  that are only degraded when passing through walls and ceilings.

What is sometimes downloaded through 3G on some cellphones is a current database of all the satellite positions from a central database, that allows a faster lock of the signal (this is called aGPS or assisted GPS). It is not necessary for GPS to work and also Skyhook could help with locking the signal using its database that does not change often enough for there to be ny upto date download (maybe you could sync it when you are at home, or if one of the wifi point your are near is open).

but have yet to see how Sony implement the GPS.

Another point to the OPs first post: If you have seen the demonstration video for the "Tag" game you will notice that it is performed indoors, access to the GPS signal would be seriously degraded for there to be a huge margin of error (many feet) or no signal at all and yet the game is able to perform with no problems.

Message 8 of 17 (342 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
524 posts

Sep 10, 2011

Aha, thanks for clearing that up, but that still means Wi-Fi model users will have a semblance of GPS too. Like I said, I don't actually use it, but maybe I could try TAG outside.

Message 9 of 17 (342 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Sep 10, 2011

duarte1234 wrote:

No, gps and 3g are diferent things. At least its what I know.

They are different things, yes.  But the GPS chip in the Vita, and in many cell phones, uses the 3G towers to quickly determine it's location, rather than relying on the GPS Satellites, only.  Some GPS devices can get signal from satellite, and send it to the towers via 3G so that the processing can be handled elsewhere, then, via 3G, the devices location is sent back; some will get a lot of data from the towers and process the location itself.  But the 3G is used to grab data faster than from Satellites.

Message 10 of 17 (342 Views)
0 Likes