Reply
Jul 28 2013
By: heGOTmeAGAIN I Only Post Everything 1050 posts
Offline

GDDR5, DDR3 The difference

30 replies 591 views Edited Jul 28, 2013
The differences between the 2 memories is very apparent. Note for comparison

the GDDR5 is only shown with 512mb the ddr3 is shown with 1gb. So in conclusion even a half  gb of GDDR5 is

more capable than a full gb of ddr3.

 

If you are even more curious about the differences, visit AMD website.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/gddr5/Pages/gddr5.aspx

 

Advantages of GDDR5
  • GDDR5 is the De facto memory standard for today’s high performance GPUs
  • Provides twice the bandwidth of DDR3 to unlock the true potential of AMD Radeon™ GPUs2

Memory_Performance_chart_v3.png

 

Why is Memory Bandwidth Important?
  • Graphics memory and superior memory bandwidth will almost always provide a better visual computing experience
  • Smooth visual computing experience will offer highly perceivable improvements in overall system performance

  

Ultra-fast GDDR5 memory
Courage is saddling up, even though your scared to death.

Atari 2600, ColecoVision, NES, Genesis, Saturn, Sega CD, PS1, PS2, PS3 (2), DS, PSP, 360, PS4, VITA
Message 1 of 31 (591 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 12/20/2008
Online
3792 posts
 

Re: GDDR5, DDR3 The difference

Jul 28, 2013

Thanks for posting! I think this is something a lot of people have forgotten in the midst of all the RAM talk...

Message 2 of 31 (568 Views)
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 05/24/2013
Offline
1050 posts
 

Re: GDDR5, DDR3 The difference

Jul 28, 2013

Exactly.

 

I don't claim by in any way to be a tech expert because that I am not.

But I think what has happened here is people are equating the 2 to be the same and they are not.

Debating the 2 as the same is a shame. Debating the differences is what should have happened.

 

 

 

Courage is saddling up, even though your scared to death.

Atari 2600, ColecoVision, NES, Genesis, Saturn, Sega CD, PS1, PS2, PS3 (2), DS, PSP, 360, PS4, VITA
Message 3 of 31 (552 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 04/17/2008
Offline
4292 posts
 

Re: GDDR5, DDR3 The difference

Jul 28, 2013
Message 4 of 31 (544 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 04/17/2008
Offline
4292 posts
 

Re: GDDR5, DDR3 The difference

[ Edited ]
Jul 28, 2013

Wait, why aren't more people talking about this? When shown the PS4 will have less gb of ram all hell breaks loose, but when shown GDRR5 is much better than GDRR3 nobody cares. Weird...

Message 5 of 31 (519 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 07/23/2013
Offline
342 posts
 

Re: GDDR5, DDR3 The difference

Jul 28, 2013

DNG-PaasDieJonco wrote:

Wait, why aren't more people talking about this? When shown the PS4 will have less gb of ram all hell breaks loose, but when shown GDRR5 is much better than GDRR3 nobody cares. Weird...


They might be thinking in PC terms and mindsets that having more ram is better no matter the type.

Message 6 of 31 (507 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Last Guardian
Registered: 02/02/2005
Online
12376 posts
 

Re: GDDR5, DDR3 The difference

Jul 28, 2013

MuzikFreq wrote:

DNG-PaasDieJonco wrote:

Wait, why aren't more people talking about this? When shown the PS4 will have less gb of ram all hell breaks loose, but when shown GDRR5 is much better than GDRR3 nobody cares. Weird...


They might be thinking in PC terms and mindsets that having more ram is better no matter the type.


another thing with the type of memory being faster that means it could move the data alot faster, so it would still be better even if it had lass amount of the memory..

 

>

Message 7 of 31 (490 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 03/18/2007
Offline
3209 posts
 

Re: GDDR5, DDR3 The difference

Jul 28, 2013
The real question is will 3rd party developers gimp down the PS4s graphics to be on par with the Xbox 1? When I see all those comparison videos it makes me wonder if that's what they did with PS3 and Xbox 360. Then look at 1st party or PS3 exclusive 3rd party games and see how much more graphical they are in comparison. We will have to see if 3rd party studios push the system more or hold back due to fear of backlash from Microsoft and Xbox fans.
PSN: Deaofly
60 GIG Ps3 Owner Since January 21, 2007
500GB Ps4 Owner Since November 22, 2014
1000 Model PSP Owner, PSP Go Owner and PS Vita Owner
PS1 and PS2, Both Original Systems.
Message 8 of 31 (485 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 07/17/2008
Offline
3614 posts
 

Re: GDDR5, DDR3 The difference

Jul 28, 2013

DNG-PaasDieJonco wrote:

Wait, why aren't more people talking about this? When shown the PS4 will have less gb of ram all hell breaks loose, but when shown GDRR5 is much better than GDRR3 nobody cares. Weird...


Where does it say the ps4 will have les ram?

Because from what i have seen it will have 8gb's and so will the xbox 1..

Except the ps4 will have graphics card ram instead of normal ram.

Photobucket

1TB 7200RPM Destop HDD Under it's own power outside of the ps3 Smiley Tongue
Message 9 of 31 (482 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Last Guardian
Registered: 02/02/2005
Online
12376 posts
 

Re: GDDR5, DDR3 The difference

Jul 28, 2013

deaofly wrote:
The real question is will 3rd party developers gimp down the PS4s graphics to be on par with the Xbox 1? When I see all those comparison videos it makes me wonder if that's what they did with PS3 and Xbox 360. Then look at 1st party or PS3 exclusive 3rd party games and see how much more graphical they are in comparison. We will have to see if 3rd party studios push the system more or hold back due to fear of backlash from Microsoft and Xbox fans.

ubisoft already stated the ps4 version of black flag is the better version, not only you get the ps3/4 exclusive extra content, the ps4 verison will have better weather affects just because they can do more with the ps4 than what they could with the xboxone.  

>

Message 10 of 31 (473 Views)
Reply
0 Likes