Reply
VP of Gaming
Registered: 12/08/2000
Online
29435 posts
 

Re: GAME Idea!

Feb 21, 2013

jwarner2010 wrote:

Ok we have all our simple games where you can play as a cop but it's all limited. I play GTA for fun and while playing I thought, what if some game developers come up with a game called COPS, like based of the show COPS. You can play as a cop, drive around in cops cars and pull people over, respond to crimes in progress, work for a police department and make you way up the officer ranks. Report to stations, talk to the chief, do special mission where you can dictate who any situation turns out, just like real life. Drive around certain states and city's and work for the police department. Now that's an Idea for anyone who would love to be a cop, especially those of us who will never be able to be a real cop in real life. 

 

     How does that sound? Leave a comment Smiley Very Happy


You would have to have some sort overriding goal, and not just have it be a law enforcement simulator.

Message 21 of 44 (47 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 02/05/2013
Offline
1014 posts
 

Re: GAME Idea!

Feb 21, 2013
I know plenty of good police officers. I've only met one or two that aren't "good". I see the police as our on-shore soldiers, since they put their lives on the line every day to keep our homes, property, and lives safe. They keep our communities safe and deserve a lot more positive recognition than what they get. Just like with any group, there's a few bad apples in the bunch, but most are hard working individuals that want nothing more than to help their community and they do it every day.
My PSN
Message 22 of 44 (47 Views)
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 10/02/2008
Offline
14647 posts
 

Re: GAME Idea!

Feb 21, 2013

B-J-Madrox wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

the_ed_85 wrote:
And robbing banks, stealing cars, supporting prostition, drug dealing, etc. are cool and fun because? It's all stuff that should not be supported by the gaming industry. If kids think its okay to be a drug dealer, pimp, car jacker, and murderer in a game at an early age; what's going to make them think that it's not okay later on in life. Everyone knows that the ESRB is not enforced the way it should be, and young children play games like GTA that they should not be exposed to. IMO GTA should not even be published because of its content and the impact that it can and probably has had on children becoming criminals.

I'm only using GTA as an example, but it's one of the worst games I've ever seen for content. I'm 27, and I won't play GTA because of the content. If a parent tells me that they're buying a copy of GTA for their 10 - 13 year old child I refuse the sale at Walmart because of the content.

I am pretty certain you are not supposed to refuse the sale if the parent buys it lol Smiley Very Happy

 

I hold that violent video games are not bad, but the constant way gangsters, drugs, pimps, etc are portrayed in media is too positive. I believe we should let people do anything that does not harm another person, but good portrayals of these things are not good for society. For me, GTA is tongue-in-cheek enough be okay for teenagers, but not for 10-12 year olds.

 

A cop game can have shooting and death, but it will have solid reasons for it. You can still have things like police corruption and mature themes in the game, but not in a good light (GTA). 

 


Yeah I think if the parent is buying it, that overrides the ESRB stuff.... Robbing banks, blowing stuff up, stealing, and prostitution are cool because it's in a video game. Are those things cool in real life? No. (Well, yes. Mildly.) The point is, games are a fantasy medium used for escape. The same way someone reads a book or watches TV/Movies. That's why games are fun. They're things we can't achieve in our every day lives. People are drawn to fiction. Trust me. If I could wake up tomorrow and have electrical super-powers, a one way ticket to Pandora, or the ability to be a small person made from arts and crafts, I would stop playing video games. But until we have fiction in our every day lives, stop speaking negatively about the aspects that draw you in to the games you play too. 


Using games as an outlet to express anger is called the Catharsis theory\. It was proposed by Freud and is completely refuted and not held by contemporary psychology. And kids are impressionable. They will take anything seen as cool by their friends and love it. Music, violence, guns, drugs, etc ar emost often introduced by friends. Fiction is different from violence. Harry Potter compared to Call of Duty is not a fair comparison. 


Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 23 of 44 (42 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 02/05/2013
Offline
1014 posts
 

Re: GAME Idea!

Feb 21, 2013
The content of GTA is far to graphic to be acceptable in a video game. If they did it in an acceptable way, then it would be fine. No, rockstar can't do that, they have to make it as graphic as they possibly can. There's absolutely no reason for it, and it's unacceptable for being in a video game that young children can and do get unsupervised access to.
My PSN
Message 24 of 44 (40 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 12/05/2009
Offline
24 posts
 

Re: GAME Idea!

Feb 21, 2013

the_ed_85 wrote:
I know plenty of good police officers. I've only met one or two that aren't "good". I see the police as our on-shore soldiers, since they put their lives on the line every day to keep our homes, property, and lives safe. They keep our communities safe and deserve a lot more positive recognition than what they get. Just like with any group, there's a few bad apples in the bunch, but most are hard working individuals that want nothing more than to help their community and they do it every day.

That is so far from the truth it hurts. How dare you even compare a soldier to an officer of the law? How many citizens are shot by soldiers every day? How many soldiers are ruining our citizens lives daily? I hope you are some noctambulist and these are uninhibited midnight ramblings. Otherwise, I think you may be classifiable as societal detritus. 

-Before your visions of grandeur go to swell those sails remember, dead men tell no tales.

-"We won't lose. We've got more men, more money and more material. There are ten million men in uniform who could replace me. Some people are getting killed and a lot more are making money and having fun. Let somebody else get killed."
"But suppose everybody on our side felt that way."
"Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way. Wouldn't I?"
Message 25 of 44 (39 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 10/02/2008
Offline
14647 posts
 

Re: GAME Idea!

Feb 21, 2013

I know games do not make people killers and drug addicts, but it does sugar coat it a lot. I am not proposing any ban (my games are mostly violent, but I consider myself a fan of storytelling and competition, not gore and killing), but I feel we should not sugar coat the fact that kids are not supposed to play M games at age 10. YOU may be an exception that knew all these things are bad, but parents should make a REAL educated decision and not just see games as a baby sitter that will not hurt their child. 


Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 26 of 44 (38 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 10/02/2008
Offline
14647 posts
 

Re: GAME Idea!

Feb 21, 2013

B-J-Madrox wrote:

the_ed_85 wrote:
I know plenty of good police officers. I've only met one or two that aren't "good". I see the police as our on-shore soldiers, since they put their lives on the line every day to keep our homes, property, and lives safe. They keep our communities safe and deserve a lot more positive recognition than what they get. Just like with any group, there's a few bad apples in the bunch, but most are hard working individuals that want nothing more than to help their community and they do it every day.

That is so far from the truth it hurts. How dare you even compare a soldier to an officer of the law? How many citizens are shot by soldiers every day? How many soldiers are ruining our citizens lives daily? I hope you are some noctambulist and these are uninhibited midnight ramblings. Otherwise, I think you may be classifiable as societal detritus. 


You seem to have no respect for officers. Our officers are not some KGB or Gestapo. They are here to keep the law that you, as a citizen, are to follow. Do not like it? Make a group and petition for change. It has worked and it is amazing that we are able to do it. Our soldiers kill more citizens than our officers do. Sure, they are not OUR citizens, but they are not the terrorists. 


Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 27 of 44 (34 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 12/05/2009
Offline
24 posts
 

Re: GAME Idea!

Feb 21, 2013

For the record, we try not to pay attention to the majority of what Freud said. Haha. I feel like this argument has been thoroughly explained many times by now. If you're a 27 year old man, get over it. Honestly. You sound like a baby. There's blood and stuff!? Oh no!! Not a big deal. ESRB ratings are in place to keep this kind of thing out of kiddos hands. But if a parent is okay with them playing it, then it falls on them to explain the difference in reality and fiction. That's it. Kids are not THAT impressionable. Jeez.... 

-Before your visions of grandeur go to swell those sails remember, dead men tell no tales.

-"We won't lose. We've got more men, more money and more material. There are ten million men in uniform who could replace me. Some people are getting killed and a lot more are making money and having fun. Let somebody else get killed."
"But suppose everybody on our side felt that way."
"Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way. Wouldn't I?"
Message 28 of 44 (33 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 02/05/2013
Offline
1014 posts
 

Re: GAME Idea!

Feb 21, 2013
B-j-madrox, you must've been in jail at least a couple of times to have such a negative outlook on our policemen and women. Just because I appreciate what our police officers do does not mean that I'm in any way suffering from a mental illness. Soldiers protect our rights overseas, police protect them on our own soil. Also, I was in the Navy, so I have every right to recognize our soldiers and police however I **bleep** well please.
My PSN
Message 29 of 44 (31 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 12/05/2009
Offline
24 posts
 

Re: GAME Idea!

Feb 21, 2013

bob-maul wrote:

B-J-Madrox wrote:

the_ed_85 wrote:
I know plenty of good police officers. I've only met one or two that aren't "good". I see the police as our on-shore soldiers, since they put their lives on the line every day to keep our homes, property, and lives safe. They keep our communities safe and deserve a lot more positive recognition than what they get. Just like with any group, there's a few bad apples in the bunch, but most are hard working individuals that want nothing more than to help their community and they do it every day.

That is so far from the truth it hurts. How dare you even compare a soldier to an officer of the law? How many citizens are shot by soldiers every day? How many soldiers are ruining our citizens lives daily? I hope you are some noctambulist and these are uninhibited midnight ramblings. Otherwise, I think you may be classifiable as societal detritus. 


You seem to have no respect for officers. Our officers are not some KGB or Gestapo. They are here to keep the law that you, as a citizen, are to follow. Do not like it? Make a group and petition for change. It has worked and it is amazing that we are able to do it. Our soldiers kill more citizens than our officers do. Sure, they are not OUR citizens, but they are not the terrorists. 


You are absolutely right. I have no respect whatsoever for officers of the law. Our soldiers do not kill more civilians than our police force does. Maybe in Vietnam. Well, probably yes in Vietnam. But not so much anymore. Petitions only work for unimportant things. 

-Before your visions of grandeur go to swell those sails remember, dead men tell no tales.

-"We won't lose. We've got more men, more money and more material. There are ten million men in uniform who could replace me. Some people are getting killed and a lot more are making money and having fun. Let somebody else get killed."
"But suppose everybody on our side felt that way."
"Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way. Wouldn't I?"
Message 30 of 44 (30 Views)
Reply
0 Likes