I Only Post Everything
1014 posts

Re: GAME Idea!

Feb 21, 2013
And robbing banks, stealing cars, supporting prostition, drug dealing, etc. are cool and fun because? It's all stuff that should not be supported by the gaming industry. If kids think its okay to be a drug dealer, pimp, car jacker, and murderer in a game at an early age; what's going to make them think that it's not okay later on in life. Everyone knows that the ESRB is not enforced the way it should be, and young children play games like GTA that they should not be exposed to. IMO GTA should not even be published because of its content and the impact that it can and probably has had on children becoming criminals.

I'm only using GTA as an example, but it's one of the worst games I've ever seen for content. I'm 27, and I won't play GTA because of the content. If a parent tells me that they're buying a copy of GTA for their 10 - 13 year old child I refuse the sale at Walmart because of the content.
My PSN
Message 11 of 44 (47 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
24 posts

Feb 21, 2013

bob-maul wrote:

B-J-Madrox wrote:

I just meant who would want to be an oppressive jerk. But, you do. So congratulations. As far as a game goes, I think it would be a drag. Games a generally considered a form of escapism, so why you would want to do something as tedious and sinister as being an officer is beyond me. It should in theory be much more fun to do something you can't do in real life, like rob banks, shoot tanks, jump out of jets, and car jack people. But if you just want to hassle people, I guess that's on you. 

So you must be an anarchist. The police are not oppressive jerks as a whole. Some are, but those are human problems. If police were not there, your PC you are using would probably have been stolen since you bought it. The job is not to "hassle" people. Again, some do that, but that is not their purpose, nor what they normally do. The tediousness would hopefully be stopped by an in-game clock. Or, better yet, put the game in Stockton or Oakland. Without police there, those places would be 10 times as bad. Oakland has a starting salary of $80,000 for new cops simply because the crime is so rampant.

Anarchy is a radical judgement to make.... Not sure if you jumped to that conclusion because I described an enjoyable set of experiences in a game, or because police are worhtless. Regardless, if poor police work is a "human problem" how do you suggest it is fixed? 

-Before your visions of grandeur go to swell those sails remember, dead men tell no tales.

-"We won't lose. We've got more men, more money and more material. There are ten million men in uniform who could replace me. Some people are getting killed and a lot more are making money and having fun. Let somebody else get killed."
"But suppose everybody on our side felt that way."
"Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way. Wouldn't I?"
Message 12 of 44 (45 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

Feb 21, 2013

The concept of playing a game as a police officer in a real life type setting like GTA and DC Univerves but with a focused real time action would bring a lot of money to any developer who takes the task of developing such a game where you feel like you're are doing good by stopping murders, criminals stealing, rapists and more. Believe it or not there are plenty of people who wish they were a cop, a game just makes it safer and more fun. You can expect a lot of cash flow to the the devs when "COPS" the "game" comes out.

Message 13 of 44 (42 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1014 posts

Feb 21, 2013
Unfortunately, even though I would rather have a game where you're doing good things and helping people than a game where you're a criminal, I don't think it would sell very well.
My PSN
Message 14 of 44 (38 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14647 posts

Feb 21, 2013

the_ed_85 wrote:
And robbing banks, stealing cars, supporting prostition, drug dealing, etc. are cool and fun because? It's all stuff that should not be supported by the gaming industry. If kids think its okay to be a drug dealer, pimp, car jacker, and murderer in a game at an early age; what's going to make them think that it's not okay later on in life. Everyone knows that the ESRB is not enforced the way it should be, and young children play games like GTA that they should not be exposed to. IMO GTA should not even be published because of its content and the impact that it can and probably has had on children becoming criminals.

I'm only using GTA as an example, but it's one of the worst games I've ever seen for content. I'm 27, and I won't play GTA because of the content. If a parent tells me that they're buying a copy of GTA for their 10 - 13 year old child I refuse the sale at Walmart because of the content.

I am pretty certain you are not supposed to refuse the sale if the parent buys it lol Smiley Very Happy

I hold that violent video games are not bad, but the constant way gangsters, drugs, pimps, etc are portrayed in media is too positive. I believe we should let people do anything that does not harm another person, but good portrayals of these things are not good for society. For me, GTA is tongue-in-cheek enough be okay for teenagers, but not for 10-12 year olds.

A cop game can have shooting and death, but it will have solid reasons for it. You can still have things like police corruption and mature themes in the game, but not in a good light (GTA). 

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 15 of 44 (37 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
24 posts

Feb 21, 2013

Any type of game could work out if it's done right. I would just be skeptical of this one. But hey, who are any of us to say?! Go make it man!

-Before your visions of grandeur go to swell those sails remember, dead men tell no tales.

-"We won't lose. We've got more men, more money and more material. There are ten million men in uniform who could replace me. Some people are getting killed and a lot more are making money and having fun. Let somebody else get killed."
Message 16 of 44 (36 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1014 posts

Feb 21, 2013
Actually, I've been recognized in a positive way for restricting access to inappropriate content to children that aren't mature enough know that the game is fake and that what happens in the game is not something that is acceptable by any means in the real world
My PSN
Message 17 of 44 (33 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14647 posts

Feb 21, 2013

B-J-Madrox wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

B-J-Madrox wrote:

I just meant who would want to be an oppressive jerk. But, you do. So congratulations. As far as a game goes, I think it would be a drag. Games a generally considered a form of escapism, so why you would want to do something as tedious and sinister as being an officer is beyond me. It should in theory be much more fun to do something you can't do in real life, like rob banks, shoot tanks, jump out of jets, and car jack people. But if you just want to hassle people, I guess that's on you. 

So you must be an anarchist. The police are not oppressive jerks as a whole. Some are, but those are human problems. If police were not there, your PC you are using would probably have been stolen since you bought it. The job is not to "hassle" people. Again, some do that, but that is not their purpose, nor what they normally do. The tediousness would hopefully be stopped by an in-game clock. Or, better yet, put the game in Stockton or Oakland. Without police there, those places would be 10 times as bad. Oakland has a starting salary of $80,000 for new cops simply because the crime is so rampant.

Anarchy is a radical judgement to make.... Not sure if you jumped to that conclusion because I described an enjoyable set of experiences in a game, or because police are worhtless. Regardless, if poor police work is a "human problem" how do you suggest it is fixed? 

Anarchists tend to be anti-religion (just going loosely off what you stated earlier), anti-police (govt), and okay with overwhelming freedom of choice whether it be economic or crime-related. I made a huge assumption, but it was meant to be more tongue-in-cheek in describing you since I do not know you well enough at all to make such a judgement. It was a jocular heuristic. 

Anyhow, police are not worthless. You do not give the police enough credit. I know some of them are bad, but I know plenty of officers from my state. They are from safe suburbs and one is in Stockton (named one of the worst cities in America because of its economic climate and crime rate). The hostage situation in Alabama was stopped by police as a recent example. They do more than write traffic tickets and send every other brown guy they see to prison. 

Message 18 of 44 (31 Views)
Welcoming Committee
14647 posts

Feb 21, 2013

the_ed_85 wrote:
Actually, I've been recognized in a positive way for restricting access to inappropriate content to children that aren't mature enough know that the game is fake and that what happens in the game is not something that is acceptable by any means in the real world

Good job, then! My little brother was playing GTA SA many years ago and I heard him talking to his friend who was watching and what they said sorta scared me. He was about 8 or so.

Message 19 of 44 (28 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
24 posts

Feb 21, 2013

bob-maul wrote:

the_ed_85 wrote:

I am pretty certain you are not supposed to refuse the sale if the parent buys it lol Smiley Very Happy

I hold that violent video games are not bad, but the constant way gangsters, drugs, pimps, etc are portrayed in media is too positive. I believe we should let people do anything that does not harm another person, but good portrayals of these things are not good for society. For me, GTA is tongue-in-cheek enough be okay for teenagers, but not for 10-12 year olds.

A cop game can have shooting and death, but it will have solid reasons for it. You can still have things like police corruption and mature themes in the game, but not in a good light (GTA). 

Yeah I think if the parent is buying it, that overrides the ESRB stuff.... Robbing banks, blowing stuff up, stealing, and prostitution are cool because it's in a video game. Are those things cool in real life? No. (Well, yes. Mildly.) The point is, games are a fantasy medium used for escape. The same way someone reads a book or watches TV/Movies. That's why games are fun. They're things we can't achieve in our every day lives. People are drawn to fiction. Trust me. If I could wake up tomorrow and have electrical super-powers, a one way ticket to Pandora, or the ability to be a small person made from arts and crafts, I would stop playing video games. But until we have fiction in our every day lives, stop speaking negatively about the aspects that draw you in to the games you play too. 

Message 20 of 44 (26 Views)
0 Likes