Highlighted
Nov 27 2012
By: STiBS84 Monster Hunter 44 posts

Frustrated.

4 replies 167 views Edited Nov 27, 2012

I travel for work quite often between the United States and Canada, and the time I spend in each country is rarely fixed (I just kind of go where the company tells me to; I like travelling). The two items that've stayed consistent throughout my travels are my PS3 and PS Vita, which is set up with an American account since I bought it while I was down there for two years. Needless to say, my games are nearly all digital.

However, now I'm in Canada for about two to three more years, and I find myself with a pretty crappy choice. I either reset my VIta and associate it with my Canadian account in order to buy games up here, or I don't buy any new games for my Vita for the next couple of years.

The problem is that I have a LOT of games on my American account that I enjoy playing regularly (Unit 13, Soul Calibur, three games from the Dynasty/Samurai Warriors series, Amored Core, Gladiator Begins, and many others). This means that if I reset my Vita so that I can use my Canadian credit card to purchase games, I would have to reset my VIta often to associate and re-associate it with the account that has ownership of whatever game it is I want to play. Compounding this problem is the long-arse process of going through the "Welcome"/calibration app every time I do this. This isn't a problem with my PS3 since I'm able to keep both my US and Canadian accounts on the same machine, and simply log in and out to do the same.

When I think of the sheer level of tedium and inconvenience this is, I find it difficult to see the point of bothering. Then, there's the fact that we're coming up on the next generation of consoles and I find myself asking- if I'm not going to be able to buy any new games for my VIta- is it worth it continue buying PlayStation products at all? After 13 months of not being able to download game, I'm starting to lean towards 'no'.

Please, Software Devs and Customer Service folks- please either allow users to change their location (I'd be fine if I could do it only once every 6 months or something!), let me store two (or more) accounts on the same device a la PS3, or let me transfer all of my games and trophies to a Canadian account. Hopefully, before the next gen of consoles and handhelds- because I really doubt I'll still be a customer of Sony products at that point.

Thanks.

.: >. I want my ioDrive in my @#$%ing PlayStation! >. :.
Message 1 of 5 (167 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
7210 posts

Re: Frustrated.

Nov 29, 2012

Maybe I'm missing something, but why do you want to switch accounts/countries?  You can use your US account while in Canada.  It's possible that a few things will be restricted (e.g. apps like Youtube check what country you're in), but for the most part it should work exactly the same.

Message 2 of 5 (116 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2901 posts

Nov 29, 2012

ya I don't get it either..... last time i checked you can order US based PSN cards online from gamestop or amazon or w/e...... and credit card use wasnt' restricted to one country. Wait if you move you'd have to change your billing address.... hell idk.....  but um... I seriously doubt anything like that will change for the like 1% (or 5) of their customers who move alot.

Even so..... I DO know you can make a second account on the same system. I read your posts a few days ago so I think you did that. One in the US and one in Canada. As far as I know once things are installed on the PS3 it doesnt' matter where the hell you are on the planet if you want to play them. So...... Let's say you're in the US at the moment. Buy games on your US account while you're here. And Vice versa while you're in canada. Now please tell me why you can't log onto your US account while in canada to play anything linked to that (that's already installed)?  I know there's people in the US that have Japanese accounts.

Message 3 of 5 (110 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
7210 posts

Nov 29, 2012

DragonIrons wrote:
...As far as I know once things are installed on the PS3 it doesnt' matter where the hell you are on the planet if you want to play them. ...

I think the main concern is about the Vita, which only allows 1 account at a time.  But as long as the credit card works, that shouldn't be a problem.  Maybe OP changes credit cards every 2-3 years, but personally if I were travelling, I'd have a US address and a Canada address and it wouldn't matter where I was, I'd just use the US account (for example) and it still works fine from another country.

Message 4 of 5 (108 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2901 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 29, 2012

ya i dont' have a vita yet, but i've read alot on it the past week. It's a pain in the **bleep** it looks like....... the account being tied to the SD card?!?!! And if you swap cards you have to format the one you're using atm? wth is that?  I'm probably going to swing a 32 Gig card, then I wont' have to worry about running out of room or anything. I buy everything i can in physical media (I don't like digital, I had one kick **bleep** game once that I bought online instead of on disc... and the company went belly up........ needless to say I couldn't get the game back when my pc fracked up and I had to format it >.<) so......

Edit: And uh ya he was talking about the Vita not the PS3.... haha nvm..... o.O

Well I know ONE way around that if he's stuck in Canada for years at a time.... but the process would take awhile and he'd have to trust a friend (or family in the US). Have his friend/family mail him FROM the US any physical copies of games that he wants. As for DLC..... I've never used this option so idk how it works but I know Gamestop sells cards that have..... voucher codes i guess for game DLC.  Like if you want DLC for a game you can go to gamestop and buy the card for THAT DLC instead of dl'ing it. Maybe his family could mail him those (from U.S. stores) as well? Or (this would be the long option, probably having to put the vita on a shelf for a week or so as well) he could mail a trusted friend / family member in the US who HAS a vita his memory card, give said person his info, and when they receive it.... they can download whatever DLC he wants and install it to the card (not sure if that would work without the actual game installed?) then mail the card back? lmao........  or mail the Vita itself roflmao *random **bleep** popping in my head*

Message 5 of 5 (105 Views)
0 Likes