Highlighted
Jun 07 2012
By: madtyger Lombax Warrior 227 posts

Friendship forged through the PlayStation 3

2 replies 28 views Edited Jun 7, 2012

It started with a simple forum post from an unknown gamer, “can anyone help me pair my mic to my PS3?” I didn’t pay much attention to the gamer’s request until I noticed no one had offered to help a few days later. I sent a reply with my PSN ID, thinking I would help him get it set up, test the sound quality, and that would be the end of it. We virtually met up on PSN and I walked him through the steps to set up his mic. Once he got it working, we chatted for a few minutes about the games we were playing, what genres we liked, and our love for the PlayStation brand. Come to find out, we shared very similar tastes in games and soon we were playing co-op games together. What started out as a few posts in a forum, turned into a 5 minute conversation on PSN, which evolved into a five (almost six) year long friendship.

My buddy, Zeke, and I have spent countless hours playing games like Resistance: Fall of Man, Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Vegas, and Warhawk together. Shooters seemed to be our main genre to play together until our favorite co-op of all time came out – LittleBigPlanet. Being able to play through fun levels together, create our own levels, and then share these levels with the rest of our friends totally changed the way we saw cooperative gameplay on the PS3. We would spend hours just decorating our pods and putting flowers all over each other. We loved LittleBigPlanet so much that we both thought we’d never go back to another shooter until …

We both adored Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune when it first hit the PS3, so when it was announced that Uncharted 2: Among Thieves would feature multiplayer, we were ecstatic! Surviving waves and waves of enemies in Uncharted 2 (dressed up as Zeke and Cole from inFamous no less) was exhilarating and knowing that I had my best friend watching my back, made the experience all the more fun. Co-op gaming was something we thoroughly enjoyed but soon we were looking for a new kind of experience where we could meet “face to face” so to speak. We often chatted via PSN while using our PS Eye cameras when we weren’t playing together, but living on opposite sides of the country meant we couldn’t just go see a movie together or play games at each other’s houses. That all changed when we both got invited to participate in a special beta.

When we first stepped into the world of PlayStation Home, we were amazed by how much it offered. From the bowling alley to the movie theater and even the mall, Home became our way of getting together for a relaxing day – just like we would have done in real life if we could. We have actively participated and watched Home grow into the exceptional social platform it is today. We didn’t think it could get much better until we explored the Hub with its different districts which all feature unique environments and games. The special E3 events Home hosts has become a tradition for us, always meeting inside Home to watch the Sony press conference live and then check out all the latest games at the virtual booth.

Not much has changed over the past seven years. Zeke and I still play games on a regular basis, chat about new games, and dream about upcoming titles. We are especially excited about God of War: Ascension and its first foray into multiplayer. On top of our list of upcoming games has to be PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale. Kratos, Sly Cooper, Fat Princess, PaRappa, Nathan Drake, and so many more PlayStation icons all under one roof is a dream come true. We are very excited to see what the future has in store for PlayStation gamers.

To me, my PlayStation 3 is much more than just a video game console. It’s how Zeke and I celebrate every Christmas and birthday together.  A simple chat turns into something more when we turn on the PS Eye and laugh at the gag gifts we got each other. If the week has been hectic for one of us, we take a short beach vacation in Home to just relax. Home is how we catch a movie together or go shopping for a new costume. And nothing beats shooting some Chimera in Resistance 3 or racing across demolished bridges in MotorStorm: Apocalypse. The PlayStation 3 is how my best friend and I play, create, share, connect, and spend time together doing the one thing we love the most – playing games.

Message 3 of 3 (28 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4297 posts

Re: Friendship forged through the PlayStation 3

Jun 7, 2012

Good story. Glad you found such a good/close friend on PSN.

And it would be a 5 year-long friendship (going on 6), considering the PS3 has only been out since the end of 2006.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 1 of 3 (28 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
227 posts

Re: Friendship forged through the PlayStation 3

Jun 7, 2012

Ah geez, you're right. I'm terrible at calculating time. I was thinking it was six, going on seven.

Message 2 of 3 (28 Views)
0 Likes