Aug 05 2012
By: Sailor1958 Wastelander 689 posts

Free PS3

11 replies 157 views Edited Aug 5, 2012

Today's Best Buy ad has a large screen Sony TV for $1899 and it includes a 160G PS3.  Either Sony or Best Buy is in trouble when they need to run this type  of promo.

Gray hair is a crown of spendor; it is attained by a rightous life.
Games: F1, Eye of Judgement, BFBC2, Sports Active 2, Shift 2 Unleashed, BF3. Games on order:
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 12 (157 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
27881 posts

Re: Free PS3

Aug 5, 2012

In trouble, no not at all, all they're doing is offering a free PS3 worth $299for spending $1,899, we bought a Tempur Pedic mattress a few months ago for $2,999, they gave us 2 "free" Tempur Pedic pillows, by your reckoning Tempur Pedic in trouble too, I think not.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 12 (155 Views)
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Aug 5, 2012

Sailor1958 wrote:

Today's Best Buy ad has a large screen Sony TV for $1899 and it includes a 160G PS3.  Either Sony or Best Buy is in trouble when they need to run this type  of promo.

This isn't the first time this promo has been done. Simular promos have been done in the past.

These kind of promos happen all the time. I know Samsung had promos where you got a free 3D Blu Ray player with the purchase of a 3DTV, extra pairs of 3D glasses, and a free Android Tablet. This doesn't mean that the brand is in trouble at all, it is ment to attract new customers to buy...

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 12 (138 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1313 posts

Aug 5, 2012
Based on their last fiscal year and their numbers for last quarter they aren't doing fantastic but aren't in trouble either. You also have to consider the buy outs when looking at the numbers though, I'm sure the Ericcson and Gaikai deals (not sure the one with gakai would be included) had a big impact there.
Sony isn't doing awesome but they're far from going out of business. Everyone has a rough patch every now and then.
But even so, this sale has nothing to do with that, like the others said. Its just to get people in the door.
 photo EZRASIG_zpsf85694e2.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 12 (134 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Aug 5, 2012

This is a normal promo I see them all the time. No one is in trouble

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 12 (128 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
689 posts

Aug 7, 2012

Points well made but it does look like BB not Sony may be in trouble.  See  the news fom 8/6 where the founder is looking to take the company private do to its recent downslide. 

Gray hair is a crown of spendor; it is attained by a rightous life.
Games: F1, Eye of Judgement, BFBC2, Sports Active 2, Shift 2 Unleashed, BF3. Games on order:
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 12 (94 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
390 posts

Aug 7, 2012

This just shows how much the TV is marked up. It is a old ploy to make you think you are getting something for free but I promise you the price of the PS3 is figured into that purchase. This way they get two sales in one shot the customer thinks he is getting a free console everyone walks away happy.

Baptism's of Fire
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 12 (92 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Aug 7, 2012

TUNNELRAT-1972 wrote:

This just shows how much the TV is marked up. It is a old ploy to make you think you are getting something for free but I promise you the price of the PS3 is figured into that purchase. This way they get two sales in one shot the customer thinks he is getting a free console everyone walks away happy.

Very good point, the prices on these flat screen HDTVs are very elastic. I just purchased a LG 55" 3DTV that was first released in June for $2300. A month later I got it for $1300...

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 12 (85 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
14988 posts

Aug 7, 2012

These promos are normal.

Just a few months before and during the Holidays the same promo was going on..... This is to promote and stimulate the Sale of Sonys products by bundling their 3D HDTVs and offering 2 free pair of 3D glasses and a PS3 (sometimes with a game, sometimes without).

This is how Sony is getting people to buy into 3DTV's..... and it worked if they do it so often. When they do offeres like this, they make almost no profit. 

This why its called a PROMO...... TO PROMOTE SALES.

If every promotional was an indication of a troubled company, there would be no retailers to buy goods and services from

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 12 (71 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1042 posts

Aug 7, 2012
They study the amount of units they should sell to make aprofit and then the price of the product to make the promo more apealing, there is nothing "free" in there.
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 12 (68 Views)
0 Likes