MVP Support
6208 posts

Re: Frame Rate

[ Edited ]
Nov 3, 2012

andygant78 wrote:
I bought the vita at launch and was disappointed with launch titles. So I sold it. I thought I would give it another shot so I just recently bought the assassins creed bundle. So far I have been extremely disappointed with the game. The combat mechanics seem nothing like the console version, the game looks sort of hazy/dark even in daytime environments, the story sucks. And the worst part is the frame rate. The game drags so bad. Even when it is at its best it seems slow.

The funny thing is that I downloaded the demo for dynasty warriors and the game has so much going on and it feels like it is running 60 fps. There is no lag or anything. Plus the graphics are beautiful. I feel like dynasty warriors has more going on at any given time than assassins creed. There's like 70 people on the screen at once and all sorts of movement. This is the only console quality game I have seen so far. And I've played 6 or 7 other games.

The problem is I don't like dynasty warriors. It's not my genre. I was so pumped about assassins creed but it seemed like a big let down to me. It got decent reviews (7.5ish) but I would put it at a 4.5. I feel like the deva didn't even try.

I will say that I did enjoy uncharted. Wasn't quite on par with ps3 gameplay. But still excellent for handheld. And im keeping my fingers crossed for black ops declassified.

I want so desperately to love my vita but it just seems lacking in so many areas. I've given it 2 chances but can't seem to justify keeping it. So do you think the vita will get better in terms of frame rate/graphics and gameplay. Or are the vita games going to continue to be the ugly step children to their console counterparts?

1) The Vita has only been out for less than a year, the first year for every console and handheld is rough despite my opinion and others that the Vita is doing great for a first start.

2) Early PS3 adopter hater's said the same thing that there is no games, not as powerful as the 360, yadayadayada. I've heard this crap before - sadly Sony proved the naysayers wrong and with time I'm sure Sony will prove you and the other naysayers wrong AGAIN. 

3) Vita's possible better potential will probably be next year and following after. Like every console and handheld, games start to look better and even greater fantastic games got pumped out as the life of the systems continued. 

4) User base is going to grow with time and with Target popping a secret out the bag of a price cut that is coming, more people will come on board thus resulting in more devs wanting a piece of the money pie. Target btw accidentally sold a few Vita's for $179.99 recenty - no sale was going on, sytem had the adjustment put in "early"... makes you wonder...

5) Once Sony cuts the life of the PSP (*shakes fist at Japan*), more/better games will come from the East because Japan likes to pop games on just about anything that is selling well. In due time...

6) There are lots of great games on the Vita currently, too many imo. You just have to look and cherry pick what peaks your interest, maybe you should give us in detail what you like to play.

7) Comparing a handheld to a console (despite baffling efforts from Sony to elaborate that the Vita is almost as poweful as PS3) is a bit ludicrous. I don't compare any handheld games to their console conterparts are even try to fathom the similarites like Reviewers and people like youself do.

8) I treated Assasins Creed 3 Liberation as a totally different game from the series on consoles, maybe that's why I enjoy it more than you and others with the framerate and story not bothering me as it's not game breaking. I also love the N4S Most Wanted on Vita despit me knowing the cutbacks. I focus on the game on handhled and don't bother nitpicking it saying, "Well - this isn't like the console versions, so I hate the Vita version and the Vita as a whole!!! Underpowered 3DS FTW!!!!"

9) Food for thought: I knew when the PSP came out that Sony said it was on par with a PS2, I kinda rolled my eyes and accepted that it could get close but no cigar. Some great games got really close like the two God of War [Origins] games, Clank, Daxter, R & C Size Matters, Metal Gear Solid PW, Katamari, Shadow of Destiny, Both Syphon Filters, and a few others.  Same goes with the Vita, I KNEW it wasn't as powerful as a PS3 but maybe somewhat semi-close to it at least. We got Rayman Origins, MLB The Show, Uncharted Golden Abyss, Touch  MY Katamari, Little Big Planet Vita, the two fighting games by Capcom, Assassins Creed 3 Liberation, and N4S Most Wanted are only a few examples of great availible games for the Vita that are close to their console brethern and are really GREAT!

10) The early years of the PSP had a secret only a few knew about - it was underpower/underclocked (222mhz out of 333mhz) in order to save battery life but to also make a big push in the graphics department down the road (aka all games in the later years of the PSP could use the unlocked 333mhz). Not saying the Vita may be doing this but... games could look and play better most definately down the road if it currently upsets you at this point of time.

I might just be one of the few that just love my Vita. I had a 3DS prior to grabbing the Vita and once I got the Vita and got a could good games, I was hooked, 3DS collected dust for months and I sold that thing. The Vita also has an excellent digital store front filled with a few great apps, a demo for almost every game release so far, PSN only titles along with Playstation mobile have been impressive as well (Stardust Delta, Motorstorm, Mutant blobs, RCR, PSOne/PSP classics).

I and many other aren't going anywhere from the Vita. There's too much potential we see here (you can feel and see the difference between the 3DS and Vita, the Vita is a nice piece of tech) and too many games are coming down the pipe now for Vita - the "drought" people have said is over. I also am too heavily invested on my Vita as I happily bought the 32GB memory card and bought [alot of] games digitally for my Vita. Fan for Vita (Vita means Life if you knew the reference Smiley Tongue !)

(P.S. I didn't spend a dime on 3DS digital content as I saw not potential from that handheld, and EXTREMELY rarely do I buy anything from the [Google] Play Store on my Android unless there is a sale. My wife is a bit upset when I told her how much I spent on Vita Digital content but accpet's this is my hobby Smiley Happy )

Message 11 of 23 (156 Views)
MVP Support
13735 posts

Nov 3, 2012
I don't think the OP played AC3 on console, because the combat is the same.

And regardless, a game's frame rate and performance is the devs fault.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 12 of 23 (133 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
344 posts

Nov 3, 2012

glaciusx25 wrote:
I don't think the OP played AC3 on console, because the combat is the same.

And regardless, a game's frame rate and performance is the devs fault.

This ^^^ is truth, the combat is very good and framerates are in the hands of the dev's...... Also would like to point out that almost every console (handheld or home) out now and in the past, has had some kind of framerate issues with certain games. Consoles are only as good as the dev's make it, PS3 is still pushing out games that look incredible and better than ever, bc dev's have learned how to maximize its potential.

Message 13 of 23 (123 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Nov 3, 2012
In regards to the combat. Yes you press the same buttons to do moves as the console version but it does not feel anywhere near as fluid and smooth as the console. I admit part of the reason it seems off is the frame rate but I have to disagree that the combat is on par with the console.
Message 14 of 23 (116 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13735 posts

Nov 3, 2012
And why exactly, would you expect it to be as fluid as a console?

The Vita is powerful but people need to wipe the misconception that it can do everything the PS3 can just as well
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 15 of 23 (113 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6208 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 3, 2012

andygant78 wrote:
In regards to the combat. Yes you press the same buttons to do moves as the console version but it does not feel anywhere near as fluid and smooth as the console. I admit part of the reason it seems off is the frame rate but I have to disagree that the combat is on par with the console.

This is the reason why new Vita owners are getting disappointed... they are comparing the game to the console version. Unavoidable of course due to Sony stupidly saying "It has nearly the power of the PS3!" when really the bar isn't that high. The framerate issue is only urking  a few people btw, many love Liberation like myself and others. Once you accept this "problem" you are experiencing is the devs fault for not finding a happy medium between graphics and performance, nor them taking advantage of the strengths or weaknesses of the Vita, while still doing the best they could - then you can enjoy the game. Don't try to be looking for faults all the time like a few of you are doing here, just have fun with the game already...

I'm about to friend glaciusx25, me and his views seem to be on the same realistic level of opinion when it comes to the Vita Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 23 (110 Views)
First Son
6 posts

Nov 3, 2012

Sony told us the Vtat would be console quality.  Now I did not take that the way some people did and assume I could fit a PS3 in my pocket.   But I did expect gameplay to match console quality. I would sacrifice graphics on a mobile game any day for fluidity and console quality gameplay.  I think with some of the games developed for vita had a focus on graphics and yes they look beautiful but gameplay suffers trmendously.  part of my problem is being impatient. I know things will improve, the vita hasn't even been out for a year. I want to see a developer take their time and put something out that blows us away. I see all the potential in the vita and I know at some point it will be a very good buy. The problem is watching something with all that potential not being pushed to the max. 

Now I haven't given up on the Vita and I didn't start this post to hate on it. I just wanted to discuss my thoughts. I don't have any friends that own a vita so I have no one to discuss it with. I think I'm going to keep it and keep hoping Sony and the developers make me feel like my purchasideas worth it. I am sick hearing all of the "Vita is Dead" talk. But I think a lot of people feel the way I do. 

Message 17 of 23 (96 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
30 posts

Nov 3, 2012

Well just to share a few points:

1. the vita is being compared as a console because sony announced and wanted to be  treated as one, now that they have that attention and its not going so well, want to switch back to regular handheld... well u cant.

2.there are 2 kinds of vita fans, those with real facts(sales,hype,games) opinions and those blind in denial waiting for a ray of light. THe vita frame rate,graphics and ... problems have 1 or 2 years top to be solved and attract third-party develprs or its going to be too little too late. The vita is going to be hacked mid/late 2013 or early 2014 like it or not, and do you honestly believed that someone is going to wasted time and money in devel big budget games for a low public system.

3.i have 3 friends that bought the AC3 liberation bundle already thinking of selling it, because didn't live up to the hype. "As far as i remember this is one of the vita saviors that fall short and its dull, the only one decent is gravity rush the rest are just ports, im selling this to try the wii u" those were 2 of my friends exact words.

Message 18 of 23 (88 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1041 posts

Nov 3, 2012

Why do people insist on blaming things that honestly have nothing to do with the Vita?

I remember a time where people would know exactly what they were talking about, now it seems like everyone complains about things they literally have no concept of.

To say Dynasy Warriors is the only console quality game you have seen says enough also the fact you are crossing your fingers for a game like Declassified when you just trashed about every Vita game out there says enough as well, you should definetely know better to be crossing your fingers, let alone hoping for that game to be a success if you have not liked anything else I doubt you would like that on the Vita, it just wouldn't make sense.

There is probably no doubt in my mind you are going to complain about Declassified, you might as well get rid of your Vita now and go find a better handheld.

There is probably no doubt in my mind you are going to complain about Declassified, you might as well get rid of your Vita now and go find a better handheld.

Oh wait you can't the Vita is the best handheld out, it may not be a console but it is still the best device in it's category.

Also to me it sounds like you don't like the Vita's games, you try to say oh it's the Vita but everything you mentioned has to do with the developers of the game, nothing to do with the Vita itself. Trust me you aren't going to ever find better portable games, so you can either go back to the 3DS or use an ipad and play some crappy small ports on there.

Message 19 of 23 (85 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1041 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 3, 2012

Then you got some guy in here complaining about how Fifa runs horribly so he blames his Vita and calls it a crappy smart phone.

You think EA gave a crap about making that game peform well on the Vita of course not, Fifa 13 was literally Fifa Soccer with new colors, I mean that was every where so if you actually bought Fifa 13 and expected something different, that is your own fault for not researching crap before you buy it.

I was interested in Fifa but instead I actually researched the product before buying it.

Another thing is oddly there is no smart phone, ipad, iphone, android or tablet that can game like a Vita, none of these have a separate dedicated graphics card like the Vita does, they all rely on their processor only which has an integrated graphics chip in it.

Now you go try to play Crysis on a PC with a dedicated graphics card that can run it versus a computer that only has a CPU / Integrated GPU. You are going to notice a huge difference in performance. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to notice it either.

You guys should learn more about the development of games and maybe a little more about hardware in general. You want to crap all over the Vita comparing it to some smart phone but you actually don't realize what is inside it.

Also why does everyone keep comparing the Vita to the PS3 "oh it wasn't on par"? No crap it is not a PS3. Stop expecting it to be a PS3, when I had a PSP I didn't sit around all day comparing it to the PS3, it would be stupid. So just because the Vita is taking a step in the right direction and is the only handheld that can produce something close to a console experience, you expect it to be perfect?

Well this is how I feel about you people constantly complaining but clearly know nothing about how games are made or the device or devices in general for that matter. Why don't you make a portable handheld gaming device that is better? I know it is cliche and truly childish to even say something like that but seriously if you have such a problem with the Vita, simply return it or make something that would be better.

Otherwise I personally am tired of hearing it. It is obvious you want to get rid of it yet you come here and ask people to decide for you? Again that just goes to show me maybe you are better off not owning one at all, I would rather people like you stop giving the device a bad name for reasons you can't seem to grasp or comprehend.

I didn't need someone to tell me to get rid of my 3DS and give it to my sister, I didn't like it and just like you I did not enjoy the games on the system. I didn't need to make some stupid rant then ask people should I keep it?

I mean seriously spare people the nonsense and just get rid of it if you don't like it, it doesn't have to be some forum conversation.

Message 20 of 23 (81 Views)
0 Likes