Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Oct 22 2012
By: Nojh First Son 1 posts

Folding@Home - Please don't leave

4 replies 110 views Edited Oct 22, 2012

I'd like to start a thread protesting the removal of Folding@Home in the upcoming patch and/or a press release explaining why Sony has decided to end its partnership with Stanford. I'm not satisfied with the answers some people have given like "Well it is Sony." While Folding@Home gives no obvious advantage to the owner of the console or Sony itself, the application has the potential to help millions of people.

Speaking as a person whose has had family that has suffered from several of the medical disorders and diseases that Folding@Home has the potential of curing, if not helping understanding of them, I ask what possible reason, be it technical, social, or economical, Sony has for removing a popular portal to the Folding@Home project?

If the Life with PlayStation must be removed with or without reason, then I also request a further update that restores Folding@Home as its own stand alone application.

Message 1 of 5 (110 Views)
VP of Gaming
29684 posts

Re: Folding@Home - Please don't leave

Oct 22, 2012

Welcome to the PlayStation Community.

Whether it rerturns in another Form i don't know, personally I doubt it, it has/will be removed with reason though.

Here's the official announcement:

By the beginning of November 2012, we will retire the services available through the Life with PlayStation application. In conjunction with its retirement, we will stop offering the Life with PlayStation application to new users with the 4.30 update. This includes the conclusion of our participation with Stanford University’s Folding@home, a distributed computing project aimed at understanding protein folding, misfolding and studying the causes of a variety of diseases such as Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s as well as various cancers.

We’d like to thank the more than 15 million users that have participated in the program since it started on PS3 in 2007. PS3 users have donated in total more than 100 million computation hours to the Folding@home project to date, and as a result, contributing greatly to Stanford University’s Alzheimer ’s disease research. Considering the contribution PS3 has made to the project, we decided to retire it as a result of discussions with Stanford University.

Message 2 of 5 (97 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2607 posts

Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, it's sad to see it go. I even donated quite a few of units myself, but sadly nothing in this world is meant to last.

Deadly Neurotoxin!
 photo rsz_1rsz_11rsz_1000px-fpsword_zps44b9ca31.png
Message 3 of 5 (89 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Oct 23, 2012
Perhaps we will find out the real reason that F@H is being discontinued on the PS3, but I have a impression that Sony no longer feels this program is part of the vision for the PlayStation product line. I think if it wasn't for Ken Kutaragi, there wouldn't be F@H on the PS3 in the first place.

If one still feels committed to the F@H program, IMO you should continue doing it with their PC & Mac clients...
Message 4 of 5 (61 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 23, 2012

I second what the original poster of the topic suggests. I learned about folding at home from my genetics teacher this year and have found great pride in trying to get my friends and family to contribute their electronics for the cause. Especially considering that their studies will prove beneficial to millions of people. It makes me extremely sad that I won't be able to continue helping their research on my game console. Although I will continue to use my computer to help FAH, I would also like to be able to download the program seperately from Life with Playstation and hear more on why this was decided..

Message 5 of 5 (52 Views)
0 Likes