Apr 16 2012
By: SanFran49er Splicer 55 posts

Flickr app updated, still crashing for me

7 replies 27 views Edited Apr 16, 2012

Curious how it is for others post update.  For anyone I have talked to about it on forum threads, etc., it crashes when trying to view own pics from a subscribed flickr account.  Viewing anyone else's pics works fine.

I deleted, reinstalled and the authorization sequence has changed but not seeing the stability the update claimed, still crashing when viewing my pics everytime

Message 1 of 8 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
55 posts

Re: Flickr app updated, still crashing for me

Apr 16, 2012

I don't know why I didn't think of it before but I just created a dummy free flickr account, thru some pics in there, added my real pro account as a contact and just logged in with the dummy account on the vita.  worked like a charm, can view my real pics now as a contact from the dummy account.  funnily, I can't view the dummy pics in the dummy account.  Brilliant coders those vita app writers are, brilliant

Message 2 of 8 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6439 posts

Apr 16, 2012

Thanks for letting me know. I deleted the app because of this. Looks like I still won't redownload it.

Check out my PlayStation dedicated blog, PlayStation Persuasion! playstationpersuasion.tumblr.com

PSN: ScreamAimFire999
Message 3 of 8 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4114 posts

Apr 16, 2012

Hey, we talked about this before here and on the Flickr help site. I did similar to what you did, deleted, powered down, started PS Vita, went to store and downloaded and installed the Flickr app, then updated it before I ever started it all the way, then started it, got it authorized, and then tried to view something of mine and got that same error code ... but the thing is, I kept trying and ONE TIME ONLY I was able to load ONE picture, which was weird because before 1.10 I never got one to open trying multiple times via my home network, but this time, same home network the updated version errored many times and then suddenly let me view one photo ... all the way look at the page for it and enlarge it and back to page ... then I went back to the main app screen and couldn't view the same one or any others any time after that which I have tried. FRUSTRATING!

I also took screen shots and put 3 with descriptions on Flickr ... of the errors and showing what 1.10 update was for, but I haven't done anything more than that about it, I started to make a thread on the help area there and canceled it out, it's just too convoluted feeling to me to write about it more for outsiders to understand.

Message 4 of 8 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
55 posts

Apr 16, 2012

I hear ya, every once in awhile I get the itch to call in again or post another thread, another email but I gave up hope on it.  Every part of me thought the update was going to fix it, it was just such a glaring problem with the app and when you only have 5-6 apps that you are offering, I figured it can't possibly slip thru the cracks again.  Obviously I was wrong and the team in charge of app development for the vita in Sony are a group of the worst coders known to man.  There is a reason they are reporting record losses, eliminating divisions, laying people off.  You don't put the tech in to the device that you did and then not have any smartphone caliber/quality apps to make use of it.  They made a photo app that doesnt let you see your photos, and in two months since launch, they won't acknowledge it and fix it.  The app itself is a small, small part of the vita sphere but I just can't shake how in principle, it's representative of the bigger picture, the bigger problem of the system and sony as a whole.  They threw a bunch of top notch specs together in to a machine but in many instances, they lack the knowledge of what to really do with it.  To this day, I am still shocked at what the point of including 3g in to the system was, how could they throw that browser in to this machine?

I don't really have any desire to upload my own vita screenshots so the dummy account route will work well enuf to view my pics on it. I do think I am at the point where I don't expect a real fix to the flickr issue and more then that, I don't see them using the tech they have to have a bonafide robust app offering which for my expectations, is a shame.

Message 5 of 8 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4114 posts

Apr 16, 2012

I was really excited when 1.67 for the PS Vita firmware was avail ... hoped more games would then transfer from store or PS3, like Pixel Junk Monsters ... but no.

Then the Flickr app update to 1.10 ... another flop.

I just deleted the Flickr app for good (for now) which makes me ... upset. It's a neat little app, just totally dissappointing since it can't quite work well enough for some of us.

Thing that isn't clear, it does work for some to view their own photos or not ... in what situations, Pro or not, home network, cell phone wi-fi, At&t wi-fi? ...

Or is it that no one uses it to look at their own stuff thus hardly anyone seems to care. I can use my phone to use Flickr in their app, but it's not the same "feeling" as it is on the PS Vita, I mean the way it WOULD feel if it worked, I actually like it for seeing the activity on my photos, answering any comments ... but I can't do that, I can only look at anyone's photos but mine, and comment on anyone's photos, but not mine. So I'm done for now with it too.

Message 6 of 8 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
46 posts

Apr 17, 2012

I think that the Sony is planning a new series called "The PSVita Tester" so they didn't bother hiring any new testers for the Vita. I suspect it will be several years before all this app stuff settles down, getting the game play right is prob their highest priority.

On the other hand most of my favorite PSP games really do play better on the Vita!

I have finally enjoyed playing GTA:Chinatown Wars on a decent device.

Message 7 of 8 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1628 posts

Apr 17, 2012

Wow, I've never seen so many whiners. Well, it's a lot easier to upload to facebook now since that latest update, why not just upload "photos" to that for now? Or just forget about it til later on, like what I'm doing.

Message 8 of 8 (27 Views)
0 Likes