Dec 14 2009
By: chaoticdeathly First Son 19 posts

Fixed YLoD, broke ribbon cable clip to blu-ray drive.

41 replies 9457 views Edited Dec 14, 2009
Does anyone know to fix the little black clip that secures the ribbon cable to the motherboard? I tried taping and using hot glue, but these are not secure enough and it gets loose again. As a result, the PS3 boots up fine, but it cannot play game demos or any discs. It cannot even eject the disc inside and I know it has power because the power cable is connected and I think I can hear the disc spinning. Any tips?
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 42 (9,457 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
249 posts

Re: Fixed YLoD, broke ribbon cable clip to blu-ray drive.

Dec 14, 2009
is it entirely broken off? one side of mines broke when i was fixing my ylod but i just pushed it back an clamped it down...and leave it..an it works fine.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 42 (9,456 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9575 posts

Dec 14, 2009

buy a new PS3

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 42 (9,456 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8233 posts

Dec 14, 2009

Shocked the glue gun didnt work.

using a scissor, cut about .5 mm off the cable so its a fresh cut (make sure you still have the connectors visible). hot glue that in.

i had to do the same, i broke my clip into so many little pieces, i started crying on the inside.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 42 (9,456 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
115 posts

Dec 14, 2009

the reason why its not working is because when games are played ......downloaded or disc based they require a checksum from the blue ray drive which is also coded to the mother board......so because the connection is dodgy between the mother board an drive this is why the games are not loading/working!!

TIP> insert the ribbon then slide a strip of cardboard ontop of the ribbon and push towards the connector to pack the gap and act as a wedge! then stick a piece of tap over the lot to hold tight!

this method has worked for others!!!!!!!

gilksy

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 42 (9,456 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

Dec 14, 2009
After trying the above methods, I am very sure the ribbon cable is secure. Is there anyway to check if the ribbon cable or the blu-ray drive have failed? Or is there possibly another problem?
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 42 (9,456 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Dec 30, 2009

I just bought a used PS3 and I noticed (because the drive didn't work) the clip was busted on mine as well. Is there a part-number for this ribbon clip on the motherboard? Does Sony sell them to indevidual consumers? If not, is there a comprable clip I can frankenstein in it's place?

Thanks for the help guys... 

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 42 (9,456 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Jan 4, 2010
 hi , ive had the same problem as you and have tried the tape . it works for a couple gaming sessions then stops again . im guessing since the ribbon cable connector is so close to the power supply that the addhesive on the tape gets to hot and wont stick anymore . i havnt tried the hot glue gun yet but wouldent the same thing happen ? lemme know if you fixed your problem thanks !
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 42 (9,456 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2306 posts

Jan 4, 2010
another thing you can try that should work good but can be temporary should you need to take the cable loose again is to use a dab of silicone on the part of the clip that is broken, then apply some pressure on the other side with something that can hold it and give the silicone a few hours to set up, then try it out.
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 42 (9,456 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Jan 7, 2010
soo i went and messed with the clip again . it magicly cliped into place and i hot glued that sucker in . ps3 works perfect now ! has anyone had a over heating problem after the ylod ?
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 42 (9,456 Views)
0 Likes