Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apr 04 2014
By: Niceneasy92 Monster Hunter 35 posts

Fix Launch PS3 or get a Slim?

[ Edited ]
9 replies 186 views Edited Apr 4, 2014

So my launch 60gb PS3 finally got the YLOD, and I was wondering if anybody could help me out with this. Should I send it in to Sony for $150, or should I just buy this Slim I've found on Amazon for the same price? Any pro's and con's about the two I should know about? I'm not TOO worried about losing backwards compatibility by the way.

Mod Edit: Updated labels to reflect topic. For more info on labels click here Thanks! Mossy_Wall

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 10 (186 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15234 posts

Re: Fix Launch PS3 or get a Slim?

Apr 4, 2014

Find a 3rd party repair and get your launch PS3 REBALLED.

Sony doesn't actually fix YLOD PS3's. They send it to a 3rd party and only do a reflow. And they're not guaranteed to last.

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 10 (178 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13950 posts

Apr 4, 2014

Back up what you can and just get a new PS3. it's pointless to try to get it repaired this late in the systems lifecycle.

Multisystem owner. PS Plus member:Legendary status.GAP member with a launch PS3.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 10 (162 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3979 posts

Apr 4, 2014
As the owner of an 80GB with b/c that recently died, and I'm quite sad about, I went and invested in a super slim, because I don't want to deal with the anxiety of worrying whether it will die again. I think the slims and super slims are built sturdier, and they're newer hardware, so it should be easier to find someone who knows how to fix them, or who can give you pointers, in the off chance that something goes wrong. File that under an advantage. I'm not sure about the slims, but the super slims have a disc drive on the top, that's under a sliding door, so you can always get your disc back no matter what. The sliding door is kind of cool too. Newer models take up less space, and at least on the super slims, the heat vents are in the back, so there's less concern about the system overheating on my shelf. I used to take my 80G out every time I used it, to ensure that it was well ventilated, but I don't worry as much with my Super Slim, so I just leave it where it is. You'll get more space with a newer model. Working with an 80GB HDD was a pain, so I can't imagine working with 25% less. Having more space is a good thing.

I don't really need backwards compatibility either, since I have a perfectly working ps2, but losing that is definitely a con. The newer models only have two USB ports, and no card slots. The biggest con though is, by having to switch over to a new system, you'll lose your data, and will have to download all your stuff again. I personally like the look of the original models more, and the Spider-Man font on the system is definitely a relic of the past. However, how a system looks isn't that important to me. Super slims spin discs, ps1 style. It's possible that's what the other models do on the inside, since that part's a mystery, but you have to take the disc out manually with the latest models, and the discs flex a little when you do. The odds of a disc snapping aren't that great, but the concern is still there. I think that sums up all the pros and cons that come to mind when switching systems. I'll be sure to share them if I can think of more.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 10 (155 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
304 posts

Apr 4, 2014
Id say move on get a ps4 join me in the next gen.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 10 (151 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
140 posts

Apr 4, 2014

I guess it comes down to how much you have invested in your current machine.  I love my old 60GB fatty, and I've got a ton of stuff on the 500GB drive I put in there.  Still, if (when :smileysad: ) it dies, I don't know if I'd want to get it repaired, or just re-download the games to a new system and pull my saves off of the cloud (thank you, Plus, for that option).

Maybe Sony will annonce something incredible for this Now service, and you'll end up playing everything off of that on  your new PS4 instead! 

BTW - What is going on in your sig gif?  Hand-grenade baseball?

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 10 (126 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3758 posts

Apr 4, 2014

Niceneasy92 wrote:

So my launch 60gb PS3 finally got the YLOD, and I was wondering if anybody could help me out with this. Should I send it in to Sony for $150, or should I just buy this Slim I've found on Amazon for the same price? Any pro's and con's about the two I should know about? I'm not TOO worried about losing backwards compatibility by the way.

I was in the same boat as you about a year and a half ago. My 60GB launch PS3 got the YLOD then too. I got it fixed just to get  the hard drive backed up and ended up buying a super slim PS3. I don't regret it. It's been working fine, much quieter and even though it's a bit "stripped down" from the original fat PS3, it really wasn't an issue for me. Getting your YLOD PS3 fixed may give you another year at the most. My advice, back up what you can and get a super slim, you won't be worrying about a YLOD recurrence. Best of luck.

Google+
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 10 (122 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
98 posts

Apr 4, 2014

Just pick up the slim. You can find them for cheaper than $150, it has even more reliable hardware (if you can believe that), it's quieter, and a bigger hard drive (if you are still on the stock drive). If you happen to buy it new, you will get another warranty that I believe is good for 3 years.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 10 (113 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
35 posts

Apr 4, 2014

Yea... I think I'm  just gonna get a Slim. I like the design and I figure it'll last longer. And is it true that the Slim downloads faster? Cause I'm gonna have to do ALOT of redownloading games and saves from the cloud to re-fill my 750gb hardrive. I know it's not from any different hardware, but is the Antenna placed differently in the Slim? Oh, and the gif in My sig is clip from either "Battlefield Baseball" or "Deadball" I can't remember witch. Their a couple of crazy Japanese baseball movies.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 10 (103 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
67 posts

Apr 5, 2014

Get ps3 slim

Sony Gamers Rules
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 10 (82 Views)