Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jul 27 2012
By: Cascadien Sackboy 573 posts
Accepted Solution

Final fantasy 4 on the ps3....

[ Edited ]
6 replies 1220 views Edited Jul 27, 2012

I noticed the other day that final fantasy 4 was the only one not available on the PSN , So I decided id start a new game using my FF Chronicles disc only to find that when I play it I get a bunch of flashing borders during the initial airship intro and then into the game? It mostly surrounds tables,beds etc when in buildings which I thought was alarming but could also be due to the fact that I use a prehistoric TV?

What really started to concern me was when the sound would start to warble when walking onto a new screen, So it started to make me worry that my beloved fat-bot might be showing signs of failure, but to my surprise when I tried to play borderlands( initially just as a test immediately after the FF4 issue ) it plays flawlessly. So I guess my question is two part because I find it strange that a PS1 game would make my PS3 act "funny" when an actual PS3 game doesn't? Is the PS1 FF4 version known to just inherently be buggy/bad...

Or could this be a sign of my Cecha's beginning throws of doom?

LONG LIVE CECHA01!!!
the absolute pinnacle of console video gaming!
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 7 (1,220 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5776 posts

Re: Final fantasy 4 on the ps3....

Jul 27, 2012

Most PS1 games will play perfectly in a PS3. But there are some PS1 games that do not play perfectly. It looks like you found one. If all your other games play perfectly then you have nothing to worry about. Here is a link to a wikipedia site that lists PS2 and PS1 games that are bacwards compatible with PS3.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_3_backward_compatible_PlayStation_2_and_PlayStati...247838785713809984_q38UyRfs_c.jpg

Here's symbols to copy & paste into your friends list comment. ℡ № ª
⇒⇔ ¹ ² ³ ® ™ ‰ © ½ ¼ ¾ ←↑→↓ψ † ‡ ※♪♭♯★ ☆▲▼△▽◆ ◇ ○ ◎ ● ■ □ 回 〓 √∞♂♀ 웃 유
Ω ①②③④⑤⑥⑦⑧⑨⑩⑪⑫⑬⑭⑮⑯⑰⑱⑲⑳ ㎎ ㎏ ㎜ ㎝ ㎞ ㎡ ㏄ ≒ Æ æ η α β ε α₩£ ≡ » « ¶ † εïз ∵
∴ #’〈 〉《 》「」『 』【 】〔 〕ミ 彡 ッ シ!#@ $ %
&()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz[\
]^_`{|}~¢£ㄻ ㄼ ㄽ ㄾ ㄿ ㅁ ㅂ ㅄ ㅅ ㅆ ㅇ ㅈ ㅊ ㅋ ㅌ ㅍ ㅎㄱ 을 ㄺ卍∃⊥ ∀ Ξ Σ Π 文 ≒≠ ≡≦
≧ⅠⅡⅢ Ⅳ Ⅴ Ⅵ Ⅶ Ⅷ Ⅸ Ⅹ ⅰ ⅱ ⅲ ⅳ ⅴ ⅵ ⅶ ⅷ ⅸ ⅹ¬ ̄ ±∂∩∀∇∠∧∨∩∪∫∬⊂⊃⊥⊿⌒─│┌┐└┘├┤┬┴┼─
━│┃┌┏ ┐┓└┗ ┘┛├┝┠┣ ┤┥┨┫┬ ┯ ┰ ┳ ┴ ┷ ┸ ┻ ┼ ┿ ╂ ╋
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 7 (1,209 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4543 posts

Jul 27, 2012

There is also this search tool from Sony:

http://us.playstation.com/support/compatiblestatus/index.htm

Unfortunately, FF4 isn't on either list, so it hasn't been extensively tested (or at least not reported).  Sony's search only gives results for games which they know the status of; otherwise it just says it's not compatible.  I think part of the reason they haven't added it to PS1 classics is that it's available for PSP.  They seem to hold off on some titles to encourage sales of the PSP version.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 7 (1,197 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
573 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 27, 2012

i couldnt find it listed on any of the incompatibility charts, the game works it is just graphically screwed up when i play and the audio gets distorted. id assume that if it was incompatible it wouldnt play at all.  i noticed similar outline distortions when i played the PS1 version of Super Puzzle Fighter 2 on my Checha01 as well does anyone have any ideas as to what can be causing this?

on a side note i tried to send my PS3 to EE 2day as they are highly recomended around the forum but couldnt find any links to add the actual services that i wanted to my shopping cart, does anyone know the best way to place an order with them???

thanks in advance.

LONG LIVE CECHA01!!!
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 7 (1,186 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4543 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 28, 2012

Cascadien wrote:

i couldnt find it listed on any of the incompatibility charts, the game works it is just graphically screwed up when i play and the audio gets distorted. id assume that if it was incompatible it wouldnt play at all.  i noticed similar outline distortions when i played the PS1 version of Super Puzzle Fighter 2 on my Checha01 as well does anyone have any ideas as to what can be causing this?

on a side note i tried to send my PS3 to EE 2day as they are highly recomended around the forum but couldnt find any links to add the actual services that i wanted to my shopping cart, does anyone know the best way to place an order with them???

thanks in advance.

Super Puzzle Fighter isn't on either list either.  This just means it hasn't been tested fully. Try a game that is on the list and see if it acts as they say it should.  I'm not aware of any games that don't play at all; the incompatibility is usually glitches like it freezes at a certain point or has graphical/audio glitches.  What you describe doesn't sound like a hardware problem, just an emulation problem, but there's really no way to know unless others can confirm the same thing with those games.  I have FF4 so maybe I'll try it.

Edit: As expected, it has graphical/sound glitches like you described.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 7 (1,173 Views)
Sackboy
573 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 28, 2012

hmm i wonder if its possible that the chip(s) that are responsible for PS1 emulation could be failing, though judging by your edit it sounds like you have had the same results with your copy of FF4...

thanx again for the input JERM7

LONG LIVE CECHA01!!!
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 7 (1,161 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4543 posts

Jul 28, 2012

Cascadien wrote:

hmm i wonder if its possible that the chip(s) that are responsible for PS1 emulation could be failing, though judging by your edit it sounds like you have had the same results with your copy of FF4...

thanx again for the input JERM7

It's just software emulation, not hardware, which is why it isn't perfect.  Nothing is failing.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 7 (1,153 Views)
0 Likes