Jan 16 2013
By: REVV Splicer 43 posts

File class action lawsuit against Sony

9 replies 889 views Edited Jan 16, 2013

Someone in US need to start a class action suit against Sony for changing Terms of Use while affecting Adult users.

This was my request:

I want my sub-account changed to a master account. When I created my sub-account the terms of use required me to do so as I already had 1 master account on my PS3. This was early in 2007 when the PS3 system only allowed 1 master account. When creating my sub-account it had no restrictions on age. BTW I am 42 years old. Hence the conflict. My sub account is now locked out from purchases that I made from using playstation plus. YES I had playstation plus on my sub-account.

I have made numerous purchases thru playstation plus, albeit free purchases,that I can no longer access because of the restrictions now in place on my sub-account not being allowed to have playstation plus. I have been in contact with support several times with no avail. 

I have broken down and purchased Playstation Plus for my master account. This is not what I wanted as I still do not have access to content purchased through the playstation store using the plus discount, as a lot of this content is no longer available on the store for the price i originally purchased it.
This is not only limited to my PS3 as I use my Vita and had content that is no longer available because I can only game using my master account and my Vita is linked to my sub-account.

I am the author of the master and sub-account. I do not wish to have the master account but wish to have all access and content available on my sub-account. If Terms of Use does not allow me to create a sub-account that is under age then why do I have a sub-account that has a registered user with my birth year of 1970? This is a conflict you have created and I want it changed. I have posted on playstation blog/share and requested this to be instituted. This does not change the fact that i have not graduated into the age but created the sub-account when I was 36.

This all comes down to my need to have access to content on my sub-account that is no longer available to me no matter which way I try to do it. I need you to change my sub-account to a master account.

This is their response:

Thank you for contacting PlayStation® Technical Support. My name is ***, and I apologize for the frustration this situation with your Sub Account has caused you.

Unfortunately, once an account is created as a Sub account it will always be a Sub account even after you turn 18 years old. I understand how frustrating this can be, especially when you have so much time and money into your Sub account. Also, we cannot combine accounts. In order for you to have a master account you will need to create a new account or use the Master Account you have already created. Again, I truly apologize for the frustration of being unable to change your Sub Account into a Master Account.

Message 1 of 10 (889 Views)
Lombax Warrior
188 posts

Re: File class action lawsuit against Sony

Jan 16, 2013

Unfortunately the new terms of service that most everyone agreed to prevents any of us from filing a class aciton lawsuit against Sony...somehow I don't see how they could put something like that in an agreement, but that is the case.  Nobody on this site is going to be able to help you.

Sorry.

Message 2 of 10 (888 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
43 posts

Jan 16, 2013

It is the USA. You guys are capable of suing anyone no matter what you had for an agreement. I live in Canada and we would never get away with it. Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 10 (883 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Jan 16, 2013

REVV wrote:

It is the USA. You guys are capable of suing anyone no matter what you had for an agreement. I live in Canada and we would never get away with it. Smiley Sad

No you're not. Any agreement that you entered into, which was buying a PS3 and making a PSN ID, is legally binding. And as a company, Sony has the right to change those terms to reflect "the times", which was in the wake of Sony's servers being hacked 1 year ago. And as such, you were given the opportunity to agree to the new terms once Sony got back online.

In any case, I do see your frustration with this sub-account ordeal as my brother is 19 and while he is lucky he has no purchased content on his PSN account, he'd have to start all over again getting trophies and new game saves.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 4 of 10 (874 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
43 posts

Jan 16, 2013

Yes I am frustrated. I did not just turn 18 I created an account that Sony made me because of limitations to the network at that time. Just because they can change the Terms of Use does not make it fair or a reasonable answer by Sony. The terms of Use when account was created should apply as well since it is the root cause of the current issue.

Message 5 of 10 (864 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Jan 16, 2013

why would Sony make an account for you?

Furiously Chaosing
Message 6 of 10 (823 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11370 posts

Jan 16, 2013

What I can't figure out is why you felt it necessary to make a sub-account when you already had a perfectly usable master account.

Generally, you create a sub-account for a child under 13 years old.  Anyone over 13 is allowed to have a master account of their own.

I understand that the PS3 once allowed only one master account, and that is what puzzles me.  You had a master account, yet you made the decision to create a sub-account (apparently for yourself) and made some purchases with it when purchases were allowed on sub-accounts.

The only advice I can offer is to allow the PS+ subscription on your sub-account to expire (if it hasn't already), eat your losses, and resubscribe on your master account.  Yeah, this doesn't help you recover your previous PS+ content, but at least you'll be able to enjoy PS+ moving forward.

Message 7 of 10 (810 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Jan 16, 2013
Message 8 of 10 (807 Views)
First Son
5 posts

May 7, 2014

man i try to buy dragon ball z battle of z yesterday they drop the price to 15.00 bucks but when i try to buy it it wont let me i took pics of  the price with my phone to prove that they was wrong well they will not do **bleep**  and i am **bleep** **bleep** off because like i said i have pics that shows at the time i was trying to buy it it was 15.00 bucks but kept saying purchase error and with every one that knows when you take a pic with your phone and you go to the pic and go to option and go to file info it shows the date and time but as i sat on the phone for 82mins and 44 seconds they tell me they cant do nothing because it was on a sale but at the time i try to get it the sale was still going on but it wouldnt let me purchase the **bleep** game.

Message 9 of 10 (635 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3423 posts

[ Edited ]
May 7, 2014

@joejoe8951

Was the store part way through updating when you we're trying to purchase it?

Mod Edit: Thread has been locked due to necrobumping , thanks! - TTurtle

Message 10 of 10 (474 Views)
0 Likes