Feb 20 2015
By: Thorn-2010 Lombax Warrior 99 posts

Figured a way to get rid of those annoying black bars on the top and bottom of the screen....

12 replies 14276 views Edited Feb 20, 2015

Like the title says,   I have been playing The Order for a few hours, now I know there are reasons why the black bars were introduced, some say it is the resolution that the developers had to put the game in to get it to run smoothly (1920X800)  or 800p,  while the developers themselves say it is for 'cinematic' purposes,   but alas it still bothered me.    I find the same thing with widescreen DVD's and Blu-Ray Movies, I paid for a 60 inch Sony SmartTV and I want to be able to view my games/movies in 60 inchs WITHOUT black bars on the top and bottom.    Then I remembered how I view my Movies since getting my Sony Bravia TV,   on my Sony Remote there is an option for ZOOM/FULLSCREEN, out of curiosity I tried it when playing The Order 1886 and it worked!      Just a tip for anyone who has a smartTV with this feature who may not be using it or even know about it, to help with this game and Movies in general using the widescreen format.  The  best thing is I have lost very little clarity as far as I can tell.

Just a heads up and idea.

Fullscreen 1886

Fullscreen 1886

Fullscreen 1886

FullScreen 1886

Message 1 of 13 (14,276 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3123 posts

Re: Figured a way to get rid of those annoying black bars on the top and bottom of the screen....

Feb 21, 2015
Message 2 of 13 (14,108 Views)
Lombax Warrior
99 posts

Re: Figured a way to get rid of those annoying black bars on the top and bottom of the screen....

Feb 21, 2015

murphdawg1 wrote:

It's actually not 800p. http://www.ign.com/blogs/-vashts/2014/11/19/why-the-order-1886-is-actually-1080p-with-a-2401-aspect-...

There is actually alot of conjecture about this if you read the comments below too, technically it is 800P because you can only see a 1920X800 screen area with the black bars in place, but some  are saying that it still has the amount of pixels that a 1080p game or movie would have but its just displayed at 800P screen viewable area for seamless transition from cutscenes to gameplay instead of it shrinking the viewable area whenever a cutscene appeared.   That was meant to be one of the features of this game, however alot of people like myself would prefer to see the game in its full 1920X1080 glory,  perhaps the Developers can leave this up to the customer and put an option in the games ingame options menu to display the game in Full-Screen mode?  Surely a patch would adress this?

Message 3 of 13 (14,087 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
34149 posts

Feb 21, 2015

ive found that i just get used to the bars and dont even notice them after a while. at least that was the case with The Evil Within for me.

but a lot of tvs now, even your bottom shelf HD tvs, have settings to adjust the screen size. standard, fullscreen, overscan, underscan, auto, etc.

Message 4 of 13 (14,044 Views)
First Son
27 posts

Feb 21, 2015

I'm fine with the black bars, just like RE4 or The Evil WIthin, it's an artistic choice, no biggie.

Message 5 of 13 (14,035 Views)
Lombax Warrior
99 posts

Feb 22, 2015

Yep it is a choice, and I am choosing to remove them, I have found it opens up the viewable world somewhat, I was almost squinting at times even on a 60 inch screen, well that is the way it felt!   Just posted this beacause alot of people have been complaining about the black bars and may not have even thaught to check whether they can increase the game to fullscreen, I played 2 or so hours before I realised that I could lol

Message 6 of 13 (13,985 Views)
Fender Bender
2477 posts

Feb 22, 2015

This is not a fix.

You are making things worse. Just play the game the devs intended.

--
Say NO to paid DLC maps
Message 7 of 13 (13,951 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
99 posts

Feb 23, 2015

gunnsandwiches42 wrote:

This is not a fix.

You are making things worse. Just play the game the devs intended.

Firstly I never claimed it was a fix, it is simply a way of making the game full-screen which there was ALOT of dissapointment and chat about in the community pre-release and after.  Alot of people may not even know that they have this option on their TV or remote I was just bringing it to their attention incase, like me they didn't realise at first.

For people who don't like the black bars it may prove to be helpful if you like them then don't hit the zoom button!   For me it doesn't add anything to the game experience.

Message 8 of 13 (13,907 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Feb 23, 2015
The problem in doing this is, because it's a zoom function you're not seeing all of the game or film if you're watching a bluray ... It's probably still playable but you'll be missing the sides.. If you look what's on the left and right hand side with the bars and then zoom, you won't see them... It's like that to fit it all on the display.. But what does normally happen on the sides anyway...
Message 9 of 13 (13,897 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
190 posts

May 6, 2015

My tv also offers zoom but does it in steps. I then have the option to shrink the width of the black bars or complete removal, The image is cropped and not stretched. 

The changes i make are determined by the movie with most i prefer the zoomed view. Most movies shot 2.40:1 seem composed to also be viewable at 1.85 :1 which fits 16X9 monitors. 

However a game is not a movie so i hope the black bar 2.40:1 presentation does not become a trend. The evil within and 1886 are 2 games i will not play because of the back bars. 

Message 10 of 13 (13,600 Views)
0 Likes