Highlighted
May 09 2012
By: lumpy999 First Son 9 posts
Accepted Solution

Feature the ps3 had but rarely used.

3 replies 10 views Edited May 9, 2012

So I'm a huge fan of MMO type games and am dissapointed that the ps3 never lived up to it's full potential in the genre.

While DC Universe Online did a great job using the ps3 controller for mmo combat it still didn't feel right.

The ps3 is able to use a mouse and keyboard for several different games why is it no classic mouse/keyboard MMO's made it to the ps3?

Am I the only one who would like to see this used in the ps4 as well? I mean it could allow us to play MMO's and RTS games with ease.

Message 1 of 4 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3322 posts

Re: Feature the ps3 had but rarely used.

May 9, 2012

I always wondered why using mouse/keyboard was never really utilized either. Maybe in certain online games like FPS it could give an unfair advantage, but I saw the Sims 3 come out and it had to be played with controller.. these decisions are what makes me defect to sticking to PC for certain games and the rest on PS3.

Message 2 of 4 (10 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28525 posts

May 10, 2012

The PS3 can support a mouse and keyboard, however it's up to the individual developers to implement it, and not a feature built into either the hardware or the operating system. I suspect that 99.9999% of games on the PS3 only support the Dualshock controller because it's the primary controller, and it's used for many context sensitive movements, which would be far too difficult or even impossible on the mouse and keyboard. Games are probably developed with a controller in mind, and not a mouse and keyboard.

Message 3 of 4 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
838 posts

May 10, 2012

Unreal Tournament 3 is one of the few games to suport the mouse and keyboard feature on the PS3, come to think of it, it may be the only one. The M/K however didn't work in the game menus, only ingame. Nonetheless still awesome.

Message 4 of 4 (10 Views)
0 Likes