Wastelander
646 posts

Re: Favorite PS3 RPGs

Jun 11, 2013

PapaWarlock wrote:

RPGs I did not enjoy this generation.

• Demons' Souls: Hated it with a passion. I have tried a few times to get into the game but I just can't see what the draw for the game is. It felt like the developers took all the worst Western RPG stereotypes, tossed them in the mixer, amped up the difficulty and threw it out to the masses. Amazingly enough most of the Western RPG gamers I know hated the game but most of the JRPG onry crowd loved it. /shr

What terrible Western RPG stereotypes are you referring to?

Message 21 of 29 (119 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11299 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 11, 2013

DanSD wrote:

PapaWarlock wrote:

RPGs I did not enjoy this generation.

• Demons' Souls: Hated it with a passion. I have tried a few times to get into the game but I just can't see what the draw for the game is. It felt like the developers took all the worst Western RPG stereotypes, tossed them in the mixer, amped up the difficulty and threw it out to the masses. Amazingly enough most of the Western RPG gamers I know hated the game but most of the JRPG onry crowd loved it. /shr

What terrible Western RPG stereotypes are you referring to?

According to most JRPG onry posters that I've met here and in other forums, Western RPGs are "notorious" for being "too hard", little to no story line, ugly graphics, weird inventory management system. I personally found nothing redeeming about the game. I've seen so many gamers hail Demons' Souls as the "shiznit" but bash the daylights out of most Western RPGs. The irony is thick, as Demons' Souls is as about as Western as you can get and still be made by a Japanese company.

Bear in mind though that's just my opinion though. What I mention as Western RPG stereotypes are just what I've observed from many "JRPG" only gamers. Things they have complained about in a Western RPG but hail as awesome in Demons' Souls since it was created by a Japanese company.

Message 22 of 29 (114 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
891 posts

Jun 11, 2013

Dragon's Dogma is another "westernesque" Japanese made game that many people liked. It was okay. I also passed on the Souls series. Not my cup of tea.

photo wizard_zps4173ab5c.png
Message 23 of 29 (110 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11299 posts

Jun 11, 2013

W1Z4RDRY wrote:

Dragon's Dogma is another "westernesque" Japanese made game that many people liked. It was okay. I also passed on the Souls series. Not my cup of tea.

Eventually I need to go back to Dragon's Dogma. I picked it up for $20 at the same time I bought Tales of Graces f via the PSN. Obviously Tales caught my attention Smiley Very Happy

Message 24 of 29 (104 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
891 posts

Jun 11, 2013

PapaWarlock wrote:

W1Z4RDRY wrote:

Eventually I need to go back to Dragon's Dogma. I picked it up for $20 at the same time I bought Tales of Graces f via the PSN. Obviously Tales caught my attention Smiley Very Happy

If I had to choose one of the two games it would be Tales of Graces f for sure. Not that Dogma was bad. I think Dragon's Dogma 2 will be better in terms of gameplay.

photo wizard_zps4173ab5c.png
Message 25 of 29 (101 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
59 posts

Jun 12, 2013

Hey HorrorGod,

I just bit the bullet and downloaded Rainbow Moon today.  Super old school, strangely fun.  Thank you for recommending it.  I'm not that far into the game yet, but I plunked down five hours of gameplay.  Totally ruined my afternoon!  Thanks!  Smiley Very Happy  jk

Feel free to add me especially if you like RPG games.
Just say you're from PSN forums, ok?
Message 26 of 29 (89 Views)
Highlighted
Welcoming Committee
4404 posts

Jun 12, 2013

Sociologamer wrote:

Hey HorrorGod,

I just bit the bullet and downloaded Rainbow Moon today.  Super old school, strangely fun.  Thank you for recommending it.  I'm not that far into the game yet, but I plunked down five hours of gameplay.  Totally ruined my afternoon!  Thanks!  Smiley Very Happy  jk

I know, right! It's an addicting game. I loved everything about it. The characters, story, music -- everything.

I still want to try and get to max level, one day (which is 999.)

The devs are currently working on a spiritual successor called "Rainbow Skies."

It's scheduled to release sometime in 2014. (No word if it's PS3, PS4, or both.)

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 27 of 29 (86 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
466 posts

May 17, 2014
Turned based rpg? Kudos to you. Im sure some old gray haired dev is fist pumping right now.
Message 28 of 29 (45 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2302 posts

May 17, 2014

bob-maul wrote:

Where is White Knight Chronicles 1/2 and Ni No Kuni?

sadly White Knight was a gem never uncovered by most. shame really..

Message 29 of 29 (43 Views)
0 Likes