Mar 10 2012
By: olollie First Son 6 posts

Faulty GPU or are the graphics really this bad? [Video]

7 replies 11 views Edited Mar 10, 2012

So I just brought a preowned 160gb slim. Graphics look shocking but I'm not sure if it's just me being whiny (I've been playing high end gaming pc's all my life)  or the graphics are genuinely faulty.

There's nothing wrong with my setup btw, got the correct video options, hdmi, tried it with 3 different tv's, held power down to reset etcetc

I realise the PS3's GPU is somewhat equlivent to an olllllllllldddddd geforce 7800 but I had one of those about 6 years ago and I swear it was no where near as bad as this

Also, I think Skate 3 software upscales its native 720p to 1080. I tried Infamous and that looked even worse, genuinely so so so bad

Look at the stairs at the end btw. Literally no AA! Proper jagged

Faulty or just bad?

Message 1 of 8 (11 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29189 posts

Re: Faulty GPU or are the graphics really this bad? [Video]

Mar 10, 2012

The graphics are being filled in a few feet in front of the player. It's a way that developers can "cheat", and not have to take up more memory than necessary. A lot of games do this. Remember, it's not a PC, so of couse the image is going to look different across a 40" screen than it does on a 21" monitor.

Message 2 of 8 (11 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Mar 10, 2012

so is my ps3 faulty or is it just old tech?

Message 3 of 8 (11 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3324 posts

Mar 10, 2012

im thinking you just expected to much from it...remember its not a 1500.00 dollar pc..

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 4 of 8 (11 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29189 posts

Mar 11, 2012

olollie wrote:

so is my ps3 faulty or is it just old tech?

Neither.

Message 5 of 8 (11 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Mar 11, 2012

I'm was never expecting 'too much' from it, I know the PS3 is using ancient hardware like I stated in the OP. It's just weird that PC games I played 7 years ago still surpass the graphics by a good amount. To be fair I've got used to playing games in 2560x1440 with SLI 570's hence the shock. Well you guys think it's 'normal' and I asked a few other people and got the same response, guess that clears it up.

Cheers bro's

Message 6 of 8 (11 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29189 posts

Mar 11, 2012

olollie wrote:

I'm was never expecting 'too much' from it, I know the PS3 is using ancient hardware like I stated in the OP. It's just weird that PC games I played 7 years ago still surpass the graphics by a good amount. To be fair I've got used to playing games in 2560x1440 with SLI 570's hence the shock. Well you guys think it's 'normal' and I asked a few other people and got the same response, guess that clears it up.

Cheers bro's

Listen, I don't want to be rude but I've never liked the whole "consoles use inferior hardware" argument I always hear from PC gamers. The idea behind a console is that you buy it once, and then you don't have to upgrade it ever. And if PCs are so much more "superior", then I still don't understand why we don't see games like Metal Gear Soid, and Uncharted on a PC. Which leads me to believe it's not the games, but the people making them.

I don't have an ending here.

Message 7 of 8 (11 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
6 posts

Mar 11, 2012

I was at no point in anything I've said arguging. As for "consoles use inferior hardware", that's not an argument anyway, that's a fact as better PC hardware is constantly releasing unlike consoles which you've just said yourself the ideas is to buy once. You seem to be getting aggrivated for no reason? Calm down bro, also, every platform has exclusives.

I'm not even bothered by the PS3's shoddy graphics either for the record, I brought it to play games that are only on console (I'm a big skateboarding/snowboarding fan). Just wanted to make sure the device I just spent hard earned cash on was working correctly.

Message 8 of 8 (11 Views)
0 Likes