First Son
13 posts

Re: Fat PS3 Fan Making Loud Noise

Dec 25, 2012

I might have to check with another local repair shop to see if they can reverse the mod, but I first have to wait for the warranty to expire just in case it starts givng problems during the month. And one thing for me is for sure, I won't just stay with a ps3 with this mod. Thanks for the help gR3yGh051

I'm still open to hearing more suggestions and also further info digging has gotten me to think that what they did to my ps3 was the Fan Overclocking Mod.

Message 11 of 21 (361 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

Dec 25, 2012

LazyShady wouldn't I have to pay $100 to send it in to Sony? To either get it fixed or to get a refurb one?

Message 12 of 21 (360 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6946 posts

Dec 25, 2012

DragonIrons wrote:

**bleep** Mcbuttz is back.... dude you really are an idiot. First off no one with a brain would go to radioshack, especially for computer parts. They overcharge like a mofo..........   Secondly.... learn to read. He didn't send it to sony so why the hell would he now? Those dolts he took it to in the first place need to fix what they did to the fan since THEY DID IT.

1st off  dont cruse me becuase im not cursing you  .  Secondly   if going give a opinion onthe topic do so , not towards me. He addressed his concern  i read it ,i understand it, its  repected . I moved on. Is that  clear or??

A real man dont need to use curse word to express himself, next time  do your self a favor if your the better  man.  Act like it  and speak like you are. Becuase your doing  very poor showing of both. with word of poor distaste of  your  character.

and happy gaming to you and merry christmasn

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 13 of 21 (356 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6946 posts

Dec 25, 2012

ultimatedarklord wrote:

LazyShady wouldn't I have to pay $100 to send it in to Sony? To either get it fixed or to get a refurb one?

yea man.    100$ is nothing, price shouldnt be your 1st concern, but if it is,  its worth it. Your stuck with a bad console that done with poor workmanship.. You 2 choice. keep waht you got or send it sony. either way it going cost money

Good luck

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 14 of 21 (354 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Dec 25, 2012
From my understanding all PS3 fans from older models like yours are 12V. IMO if it is unnecessarily loud, it might very well have to do with the way your system was put back together. If it wasn't put together just right, it could cause noises like what you are experiencing...
Message 15 of 21 (348 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

Dec 25, 2012
Yes all fans are 12V, but they seem to have connected the fan straight to the ps3s power supply to keep it running on max always. So of course I'll experience noises with it always at max speed, look up ps3 fan 12v mod on youtube (if you want), I suspect that's what they did to my ps3. The thing is the store doesn't want to return it to how it should be, because they say it is necessary after the fix they did to the processor. I really don't believe that. So I'm trying to see if someone here has experience with that mod and can help me.
Message 16 of 21 (346 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Dec 25, 2012

I do understand that the fan runs on 12V, but its supposed to run on a variable speed to keep up with the internal temperature of the console, which is why there is 2 or 3 thermosensors around the motherboard (at least for the fatties).

For someone to say that such a mod is "necessary" for the band-aid fix they just did, seems like a pretty lazy repair.

I mean, I've done a few reflows in my day with nothing but a $20 heat gun and some Arctic Silver 5 on customers PS3's, at their request and they've been pretty happy with the results. 

Furiously Chaosing
Message 17 of 21 (342 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
50 posts

Dec 25, 2012
you could try fitting a potentiometer to the fan lead - the price should be nominal and it's simply an additional lead akin to a dimmer switch for your fan - at the very least the repair company should clarify the nature of the mod in writing so you can consider your next step - presumably they're reluctant to address something which may increase the likelihood of their warranty being realised?
Message 18 of 21 (337 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

Dec 25, 2012
I'm definitely not satisfied with the fix they did to the ps3, I mean they shouldn't have modded my ps3s fan without saying anything. They fixed one problem and created another unnecessary one. I'm considering opening my ps3 to see if I can reverse what they did to the fan, which was probably the wire cut and reconnect to the power supply that I have seen on youtube to overclock the fan. I have opened up my ps3 before, but I've never gone deeper than moving out what I assume is the power supply and blu-ray drive.
Message 19 of 21 (330 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

Dec 28, 2012

After some consideration I have decided to buy a 19 blade (an upgrade over the 15 blad fan my model brings)ps3 fan and replace the modded fan with it. Hopefully after that the fan will work like it does normally.

Everyone that tried to help has my thanks.

Message 20 of 21 (300 Views)
0 Likes