This has been increasingly frustrating. Every month or so a batch of problems crop up with the PS3 connecting to the internet that I end up spending a day to troubleshoot. Sometimes they go away or I find a fix. This time, no luck so far. So, about 10 days ago, I was watching netflix fine. I had not used the ps3 for netflix/anything else in the last 10 days due to a busy schedule. Yesterday, I tried to watch something and it took me about 4 hours to watch a 45 minute show due to consistent interrupts. Today, I cannot even really connect.
Throughout this, I have had inconsistent connections to the PSN. The web browser can work, but is incredibly slow. If I do a network connection test, it passes the first two checks, but shows the PSN as failed. My network settings should be fine, WEP security (wireless connection) on a WRT54G with updated firmware, static IP, port forwarded, DMZ for that ip. I have set my MTU rate to 1472, as anything above 1473 was not working properly.
Naturally, I have tested unplugging the router, modem, and PS3 for a minute and plugging it back in. Any other suggestions?
seems that you've pretty much tried everything in the book for troubleshooting.
When i read the subject in the main forum page, i immediately thought "did you power cycle your devices" but you've already done that as well.
the WRT54G router is a damn good router even if its very outdated, but for you to have connection issues so often is a bit of a mystery.
Have you tried borrowing a friends router and see if that helps? You could even find a newer router used on craigslist for a few bucks.
When you updated the firmware.... did you go with the Offcial Linksys fw or DDWRT?
I used the linksys firmware. I should also add that every other device on the network works fine, but that seems to be a common theme with these posts.
I tried resetting to factory setting defaults, but this has not improve the connection at all. Now to re-enter all of those settings again...
I think it may be working now. I followed the directions on: http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/1640465
Specifically, "Change wireles channel to channel 11. Now save settings. Now go to (Advanced wireless settings) tab Change the Beacon interval to 75, Change the Fragmentation threshold to 2306, Change the RTS threshold to 2307 Now save settings. "
I think this might have been teh magic bullet. We will see, testing it now. This seems to be an obscure fix.