Jun 02 2013
By: dave_des First Son 1 posts

External 2 TB WD Hard Drive

[ Edited ]
7 replies 834 views Edited Jun 2, 2013

Hi all,

I recently bought 2TB HardDrive and loaded it will all the movies and music in FAT32 format. So when I connect my HD to PS3 (I have older version of PS3 from 2009, just FYI) it initially recognizes it and can browse all the folders. Although I can only see content of only few folders and not all where everything works fine with my PC. 

Now to my surprise, if I navigate out of the folder in PS3 and try to again access my drive then I can't see any content of my HD which I was able to see previously. I can only see content when I navigate it for the first time after connecting my HD with my PS3. 

Furthermore, when I go in the information for my HD as soon as I connect it to my PS3 I found out that it stops after recognizing 311 GB and from then I can browse my PS3 but can not access any folders including HD, Games, Stored Game utility and stuff.

Please advice.

Thanks,

Dave.

Message 1 of 8 (834 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Re: External 2 TB WD Hard Drive

Jun 2, 2013

FAT32 is an archaic, and inefficient file format.

In regard to formating large hdd's into FAT32 using a number of different programs and even Window's OS', it causes issues with the overall capacity of the hdd and its ability to communicate with different devices.

What you CAN do, is run a media server program, such as PS3 Media Server and tell the program to only look at the external HDD for your files. This allows you to run the external hdd in its original NTFS format to have files larger than 4GB.

Make note, however, that if you're going to transfer files using media servers is to be aware that it will take a long time per file simply because your computer has to do the bulk of the work, AS WELL as streaming video and audio.
If the media server is not properly setup, you will have playback issues like unsynced audio/video, skipping, etc etc.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 2 of 8 (798 Views)
Splicer
68 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 3, 2013

If you are trying to access, for example the music on your HDD, scroll to the HDD icon under the music icon on the XMB and press triangle; you should see something like "Show all", select that. If that doesn't work, do what gR3yGh051said and format your HDD to NTFS.

Message 3 of 8 (779 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
33 posts

Jun 5, 2013
^NO...ntfs won't work with ps3. Not entirely sure of the issue here...what software did you use to format the drive? Are you aware that you can only "see" images in the image column, music in the music column, and so on?
Message 4 of 8 (751 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18896 posts

Jun 5, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

FAT32 is an archaic, and inefficient file format.

In regard to formating large hdd's into FAT32 using a number of different programs and even Window's OS', it causes issues with the overall capacity of the hdd and its ability to communicate with different devices.

What you CAN do, is run a media server program, such as PS3 Media Server and tell the program to only look at the external HDD for your files. This allows you to run the external hdd in its original NTFS format to have files larger than 4GB.

Make note, however, that if you're going to transfer files using media servers is to be aware that it will take a long time per file simply because your computer has to do the bulk of the work, AS WELL as streaming video and audio.
If the media server is not properly setup, you will have playback issues like unsynced audio/video, skipping, etc etc.

Adding to gR3yGh051 suggestion to the OP.

A media server is the recommeded way to go. I suggest the OP chooses this route.  PS3MediaServe is a great piece of software for not only serves as a media server but also as an on the fly transcoder

http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/. 

If the OP has a computer with an i5 processor with at least 4GB of ram and a good router [network setup] then the media streaming should be good with no major hiccups during computer use.

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 5 of 8 (741 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Jun 5, 2013

protaeon wrote:
^NO...ntfs won't work with ps3. Not entirely sure of the issue here...what software did you use to format the drive? Are you aware that you can only "see" images in the image column, music in the music column, and so on?

I don't think I made myself clear enough, so i'll explain

Using an external device to transfer data from one device to your PS3, especially when the PS3 will only recognize FAT32 file system from external devices is archaic. 
And due to the file size limitations of FAT32, I do not recommend using external devices to transfer video because you're limited to only 4GB for each video, while its fine for smaller videos or lower quality, I tend to have video sizes exceeding 10GB.

I suggested to OP that he use a media server to transfer videos from his PC to the PS3 as there will be NO file size limit. While using a media server to transfer files CAN take a much longer time because it will be going through the PC software and then the home router to the PS3, but it will guarantee that OP has little to no issues moving files from his PC to his PS3.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 6 of 8 (737 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
33 posts

Jun 5, 2013
it was my understanding, op is using the drive as permanent storage. Same setup i have 2tb drive plugged into ps3. Works like a charm...If he's just moving files, by all means use the media server. But I tend to avoid streaming when possible. Don't see the sense in wasting cpu cycles.
Message 7 of 8 (727 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Jun 5, 2013

protaeon wrote:
it was my understanding, op is using the drive as permanent storage. Same setup i have 2tb drive plugged into ps3. Works like a charm...If he's just moving files, by all means use the media server. But I tend to avoid streaming when possible. Don't see the sense in wasting cpu cycles.

Because its inefficient storage when it comes to large file sizes, especially with the default cluster size of 512k. Thats why the external drives needs to stay NTFS, and he's better off streaming from his PC.

I mean, when he's using his PS3 and simply has his PC running idle, he's also wasting cpu cycles. If his PC has a dual or quad-core or even 6 core processor, then its a non-issue, cause media server programs only use one core

Furiously Chaosing
Message 8 of 8 (723 Views)