Highlighted
May 17 2011
By: Verish Lombax Warrior 132 posts

Everquest and Starwars coming to PS3?

8 replies 12 views Edited May 17, 2011

I was wondering if you all at Sony were going to be bringing these games to the console also? I figured since you have Free Realms and DC Universe that adding these should not be to far off. My wife is a big fan of the EverQuest series and I did enjoy the SWG. Are there any plans for them in the future?

Any players out there heard anything? Trying to plan in advance for getting a second PS3 if so.

Verish Trophy Card

Message 1 of 9 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
461 posts

Re: Everquest and Starwars coming to PS3?

May 17, 2011

I played the living heck out of SWG, like 7 yrs or something like that, i wouldn't play it on the PS3 though, computer is far easier, and to be honest SWG is pretty dead, i think only like 2000 people still play it, IF that, every server has NO people except Starsider which is a roleplaying server to begin with. The reason i wouldn't want to play it on a PS3 is because it doesn't take a good computer at all to play SWG, i used to play it like a year ago on a single core vista 2.1 ghz i think processor with 2 gb ram and an integrated graphics card and i never even lagged not even in mass PvP.

plus, Old Republic is coming out soon, which will drain any remaining life from SWG.

Message 2 of 9 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
64 posts

May 17, 2011

Verish wrote:

I was wondering if you all at Sony were going to be bringing these games to the console also? I figured since you have Free Realms and DC Universe that adding these should not be to far off. My wife is a big fan of the EverQuest series and I did enjoy the SWG. Are there any plans for them in the future?

Any players out there heard anything? Trying to plan in advance for getting a second PS3 if so.

Verish Trophy Card

Sony did bring a form of Everquest to the PS2, but I forget it's exact name... As for a PS3 version, it's a technical possibility, but Sony would have to be willing to do it. I have heard whispers of a Knights of the Old Republic MMO that's being developed, though I am not sure if it is going to be available for the PS3, i'd have to check back with you on that one.

Message 3 of 9 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
461 posts

May 17, 2011

It's actually about to come out. And it will be PC only, and it will take a VERY VERY, VERY high end computer to run it on anything besides dirt-cheap graphics.

Message 4 of 9 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
64 posts

May 17, 2011

Garyxyz851 wrote:

It's actually about to come out. And it will be PC only, and it will take a VERY VERY, VERY high end computer to run it on anything besides dirt-cheap graphics.

Free userbars Free userbars Free userbars Free userbars Garyxyz851 Trophy Card

That's a shame to make such a lovely game so inaccessible.

Message 5 of 9 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
461 posts

May 17, 2011

It's not their choice? The ps3 is pretty powerful for a console but it's still just a console, it doesn't have the power to run high-end new computer games. even to put DCUO on the ps3 they had to severely water down the visuals. don't forget the PS3 is how many years old now...5 or 6 i think? Even a high-end 2 to 3 grand computer becomes obsolete in 2 to 3 years.

Message 6 of 9 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
64 posts

May 17, 2011

Garyxyz851 wrote:

It's not their choice? The ps3 is pretty powerful for a console but it's still just a console, it doesn't have the power to run high-end new computer games. even to put DCUO on the ps3 they had to severely water down the visuals. don't forget the PS3 is how many years old now...5 or 6 i think? Even a high-end 2 to 3 grand computer becomes obsolete in 2 to 3 years.

Free userbars Free userbars Free userbars Free userbars Garyxyz851 Trophy Card

I do not disagree with these points in the slightest. Normally most tech is outdated in a year, not even that sometimes after release with how fast games have been advancing visually.

Message 7 of 9 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
132 posts

May 17, 2011

Big reason all we have is a laptop now, got tired of always having to upgrade just to game.

I am really surprised it is only going to PC though. PC gaming is pretty dead now and trying to find PC games at a gaming store is getting harder and harder. I did really enjoy my PC gaming EQ1-EQ2-Myth-SWG-Planetside etc etc

I just find it far easier to stick with a console now and it is much easier on the body as well. Sitting in front of a computer alot even in a comfortable chair takes its toll on you.

Verish Trophy Card

Message 8 of 9 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
285 posts

May 17, 2011

So to add up to this... The Game that was brought out for the PS2 was Called Champions of Norrath and A sequal cme out that added two more races, these were top down action/adventure games likened to Diablo. EQ and EQ2 requirea keyboard for a lot of commands - in short until someone over at Sony starts allowing mapping of keyboards and pointing devices as functional peripherals the more "intense" MMOs are going to be the realm of the PC. I feel DCOU on the PS# was more a proof of concecpt than a true move or shift inot he genre in earnest. MMOs tradtionally rely on a lot of key commands to pull up what you need while simultaneously allowing you to still play - the UIs for these games allow you the 3d mainfield and then the 2d HUD overlay AND has seemless use between the two. I think if consoles want to go for the MMO market they are going to have to offer freer mapping for keyboards and tradional keyboards and mice - I see that not happening though - Unless Sony drops out a USB or Bluetooth mouse keyboard combo for the system- and adds a clause of not supporting NON Sony devices. Aside from which EQ and SWG are WAY outdated and theyde have to do some serious engine revamping as well as have rackspace that they are no longer making $$ on unless you want to get nailed for a pay to play fee.

A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.
Message 9 of 9 (12 Views)
0 Likes