Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 16 2013
By: ROBY5205 First Son 2 posts

Ethics and overdrafts

9 replies 341 views Edited Jan 16, 2013

Yes i know we all read or skip over the terms of service and most of you pretentious fanboys will cry its the users fault but when it comes to auto renewals with sony or any company, is it ethical for any company to automatically renew a subscription unless the user seeks it. My whole point is Obviously having a auto renew service is wonderful BUT should such service be automatically check boxed. I feel if someone wants playstation plus to be auto renew then they should actively set that option not the other way around that if you dont want it you should uncheck that option. Obviously this is done so Sony gets their money, it's a buisness i know. but is it ethical? I love the auto renew feature but i can see why it would be better if i choose to turn it on then choose to turn it off at the start.

Sidenote : If you want a refund on a auto renew it takes 30 days for your money to be refunded but your subsciption is removed instantly lol. That's definitely not ethical lol

Message 1 of 10 (341 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
31120 posts

Re: Ethics and overdrafts

Jan 17, 2013

ROBY5205 wrote:

Yes i know we all read or skip over the terms of service and most of you pretentious fanboys will cry its the users fault but when it comes to auto renewals with sony or any company, is it ethical for any company to automatically renew a subscription unless the user seeks it. My whole point is Obviously having a auto renew service is wonderful BUT should such service be automatically check boxed. I feel if someone wants playstation plus to be auto renew then they should actively set that option not the other way around that if you dont want it you should uncheck that option. Obviously this is done so Sony gets their money, it's a buisness i know. but is it ethical? I love the auto renew feature but i can see why it would be better if i choose to turn it on then choose to turn it off at the start.

Sidenote : If you want a refund on a auto renew it takes 30 days for your money to be refunded but your subsciption is removed instantly lol. That's definitely not ethical lol

Welcome to the PlayStation Community.

Yes it is because it clearly states that auto-renew is activated by default, if it did not say this then my view would be in alignment with your own.

Message 2 of 10 (332 Views)
First Son
16 posts

Jan 17, 2013

I guess ethically, sure. I should be more diligent reading the terms and conditions, I must have skipped the option to uncheck the auto renew. I would not like to auto-renew, but as long as it is an option upfront (automatically checked or not) thats alright. This doesn't really apply to me since I've not used a credit card since the 'great sony hack'. I think shiestier companies go to much greater lengths to make 'unchecking auto-renewal' near impossible. Thats my two cents anyways

Message 3 of 10 (316 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1248 posts

Jan 17, 2013

I disagree on the premise that any digital server that I have subscribed to worked similar to PS+.  So nothing unusual there; consumer has to actively do something to prevent a next swipe of the card at the renewal date.

In addition, this is the same for many print magazines.  Sometimes when the price seems too good to be true, it is because the first year is super cheap, and the second year is at some "normal / current" price and will automatically be charged.  You are told that you have to contact customer services to stop your subscription.  At least with PS+, you are able to do this on your own via the PS3.

Message 4 of 10 (291 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1368 posts

Jan 18, 2013
When I signed up for Plus a box popped up notifying me of the auto renewal if I remember right. Don't click through info boxes..
 photo EZRASIG_zpsf85694e2.jpg
Message 5 of 10 (265 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1368 posts

Jan 18, 2013
These threads always remind me of South Park's Human Centipad.
Message 6 of 10 (263 Views)
MVP Support
8783 posts

Jan 18, 2013

It is a subscription.  By definition, that means a recurring fee will be charged.  Sony made it convenient for the majority of people that prefer to have uninterrupted service.

If you are one of the minority of people that only want 1 year (or 3 months) of service, it is pretty easy to cancel the auto renewal.  You can even do so from your couch.  If you had to make a phone call to cancel the auto renew, you might have a case.

As for taking 30 days to refund your money on a cancelled subscription, it would only be unethical if they only refunded a prorated amount (i.e. $45.83 (or 11/12 of the subscription fee) when you cancel a day or two after it was charged).

Message 7 of 10 (232 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
211 posts

Jan 19, 2013

the auto renewal is useless , if it auto renewaled you because you were in prison or watever and actually downloaded your weekly ps+ games then it would be a great feature , but it doesn't do that 

i don't have a pc i use ps3 browser
Message 8 of 10 (191 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1368 posts

Jan 19, 2013
^prison or whatever? Is prison the first thing that springs to mind when you think about going out of town..?
Message 9 of 10 (187 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
46 posts

Jan 20, 2013
Well, yeah. What if you get a 60 day lockup for skipping court because you we too focused on a game to remember to show up. Then that's 2 months of games you missed downloading all because you were so devoted to the original game to begin with. Since Sony is getting the money anyway it would be ethical of them to auto download those games for me since I have the auto download box checked. Instead all they auto download is stupid betas. Guess I won't be missing any court appearances after all. But there's nothing unethical with auto renews. It's standard practice with companies. You have to be pretty lazy to skip the terms of agreement, skip the pop-up alert, not see the checked box in your account, and forget that almost every American subscription service has an auto renew policy.
Message 10 of 10 (150 Views)
0 Likes