Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 04 2013
By: MessageOfTheDay First Son 2 posts

Ethernet/Wifi Extremely Slow!

[ Edited ]
4 replies 181 views Edited Jan 4, 2013

Hello,

I've been trying to get my PS3 to run at better speeds for about 3 weeks and no success!
 I have a 70mbs download and a 11mpbs upload and i'm lucky if i get  5 mbps d/l and 2 upload on the ps3.

Things i have and tried.

UPnP: On

DMZ: On And Off

Firewall: Off

QoS: Off And On

No other devices on.

I understand that i shouldn't be getting max speed but 5 down and 2 up is just nuts.

This is both Wireless and Ethernet. However my PCs work at full speed.

I could realy use some help. Could my PS3 be network card be going?

EDIT: I'm also using a WNR2000 Router.

Message 1 of 5 (181 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1283 posts

Re: Ethernet/Wifi Extremely Slow!

Jan 4, 2013
All of those setting changes do nothing for you.

Do a few things, Restore File System and Rebuild Database, also keep your PS3 wired at all times if possible.

The network speeds your PS3 shows after an Internet Test are inaccurate, base your speeds off of your experience in games and with downloads. Compare the differences of the speeds you get now to after you've done the few things I mentioned and get back to me if possible. Those steps boost my download speeds drastically. Do it about once a month to keep your PS3 pushing smoothly, it's like any computer.
Message 2 of 5 (172 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
370 posts

Jan 4, 2013

never go by ps3 speedtest, use speedtest.net  n speakeasy.net. your speed is fine, if its not, then call your provider. always stay wired, wifi G is awful and cuts your speed down bigtime.

Equality for all
Message 3 of 5 (167 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 4, 2013

Thanks for the replies! I'm going to get a new router tommorow and see if that helps. if it doesn't i'll just return it. i'm using a wnr2000v1 which is kinda dated.

I got a new modem a couple days ago because my old one was docsis2.0 so i plugged ps3 right into it and i get about 30mbs download and 6mbs upload. I know the speed test isnt accurate but that's better then with the router.

After i get the router i'll try a big download before/after and try the suggestions you mentioned. I'll be staying wired but i need a router for the rest of the house.

I'll post back and tell you how it goes.

Message 4 of 5 (162 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18720 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 5, 2013

MessageOfTheDay wrote:

Hello,

I've been trying to get my PS3 to run at better speeds for about 3 weeks and no success!
 I have a 70mbs download and a 11mpbs upload and i'm lucky if i get  5 mbps d/l and 2 upload on the ps3.

Things i have and tried.

UPnP: On

DMZ: On And Off

Firewall: Off

QoS: Off And On

No other devices on.

I understand that i shouldn't be getting max speed but 5 down and 2 up is just nuts.

This is both Wireless and Ethernet. However my PCs work at full speed.

I could realy use some help. Could my PS3 be network card be going?

EDIT: I'm also using a WNR2000 Router.

|Welcome to the PS Community.

Do yourself a favor and do not turn off your router firewall off. The internets are packed with botnets such scanning IPs for vulnerabilities so for the security of your network, leave it on.

If you turn UPnP on just for the PS3, then you do not need to turn DMZ on. DMZ sets the assigned IP outside of the firewall, thus exposing it to the open internet. Furthermore, DMZ requires the use of a static IP.

What I recommend for you to do is upgrade your router firmware to the latest version. The latest version is 1.2.3.7 and give it another try.

http://support.netgear.com/product/WNR2000v1

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 5 of 5 (132 Views)
0 Likes