Message 31 of 53 (455 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
14193 posts

Re: EA's "pay-to-win" BF4 microtransactions are a heart breaker

Mar 31, 2014

al2009man wrote:

Rockatron2000 wrote:

Please keep pay to win off my console. I like my ps4 but I will sell it tommorrow just as easy if it turns into a microtransaction infested money grabbing machine like pc gaming has become.

so. your selling ur PS4 because current and future games may be full of microtransaction?

really? I'm looking at this with a simple word "STUPID"

actually i would read it this time

Funny thing is you say it's stupid but if this practice starts to spread say goodbye to consoles. People get why games like Farmville have microtransactions. They are free, that's there only avenue of revenue. When people pay 60 bucks for a game they don't want to see a company still trying to nickel and dime them even beyond DLC packs. People have accepted buying a couple DLC packs over the course of a games life cycle to get some new maps and weapons but if they go too far with corporate greed to sell games in pieces the consumers will give up on cosnoles and find another venue to game on. Even if people say "well the stuff you buy is stuff you can unlock so you aren't forced to buy it to get it" but that type of enablement of the system is what allows it to be expanded and abused. They are trying to introduce it slowly but once they feel gamers have accepted the microtransaction system then they start talking about other ways to boost profits and thats when they start to expand microtransactions and start offering things you can't get without paying for them.

The video game industry has already started showing that once we accept a business model they will abuse it. For example, gamestop exclusives used to be just cosmetic differences with the game box. maybe a special edition game case or art or some little collector trinket that came with the game. When people complained they didn't want to shop at gamestop and would like the option to buy those things at their stores of preference guys like you would say "Who cares, it's still the same exact game, it's not like they are getting extra content with the gamestop exclusive". But once that business model was accepted and proved to be profitable then they did start having exclusives that game extra content, maps, or bonus levels that others didn't have access to who also bought the game for the same price at other venues.

Consumers today need to grow at least a little bit of backbone instead of just bending over and taking it and paving the way to be screwed harder and harder each time they accpet another form of cash grab. Quality products aren't born from people who cheerlead and defend anything and everything these companies do. They are born from people who had the backbone to take the company to task and make the company feel that their sales depend on delivering a quality product and not taking advantage of the customer. The term "they don't make 'em like they used to" has a lot of truth to it because there was a time in this country when people did have a little backbone and a little conviction and made a company pay dearly if they took advanatge of their customers. Unfortunatley we live in the era of company and brand fanboys who will actually praise and defend a shoddy product and cheerlead the company to screw them even more with the next one. We have a complacent society who just accepts whatever is thrown at them and so there is very little motivation for companies to care about quality. I mean I tell people I am selling them a sack of gold and the sack is filled with crap and those people start praising me and defending my product and begging for more why would I bother to sell them gold next time when they've already put me up on a pedestal for selling them crap. I'm just going to sell them crap again and most likely make it even a bit crappier to boost profits more and see if I can get away with it like I did the first time.

Sig: Socom 1 and 2 best games I've played on any console.
Message 32 of 53 (453 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1668 posts

Re: EA - cash grabbing and pay to win - bf4 microtransacttions are a heart breaker

Mar 31, 2014

Setzaroth wrote:

Unclear_Motive wrote:

I am Setzaroth on this one. I do not think there are any "pay-to-win" options in BF4. The shortcuts only allow you to unlock things instantly. After playing for a couple of months (maybe even less) you can unlock all of those things in the shortcuts if you really wanted to. Like theJLC just said, it's more of "pay for the lazy."

YOU'RE NOT ME! YOU COULDN'T HANDLE BEING ME!....lol Smiley Wink

Haha, my bad. I meant I am *with Setz on this one...I really need to start proofreading my messages

Message 33 of 53 (453 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
14193 posts

Mar 31, 2014

Setzaroth wrote:

MADDENKING1980 wrote:
I think all the guns and vehicle upgrades should be unlocked for everyone when you buy the game for $60, I never understood why you should give advantages to people just because they've played the game longer. I would have a problem if they had better vehicle upgrades that you only unlocked by buying dlc's or "weapon packs"

I've already unlocked all the vehicles (including air) months ago, so I guess this doesn't affect me...If people want to waste their money on this crap, why should anyone care?

It provides motivation to keep progressing. BF has had online unlocks for a VERY long time.

I'll have to disagree. A good game that is addicting is what will keep people playing a game, not unlocks. I played the PS 2 Socom games for their entire life cycles (and well beyond that) and while some of those games had a few things people could unlock by playing the SP most never bothered and 99% of the arsenal was with you from day one. Progression with Socom didn't come from unlocks, it came from learning the maps and the guns and getting better with them. Becoming a more skilled player gave you an advantage over new players not access to a larger array of weapons.

While a game like Socom 1 or 2 I played regularly for for about 5 or 6 years and was even still playing them on my BC PS 3 till that crapped the bed, I find that most COD and BF games with the plethora of unlocks makes the game redundant and makes the gameplay more mindless killing because people are worried more about hitting benchmarks for their next unlock instead of doing what's best for the particular match and game mode they are playing. They play for "me" instead of for " team" and so it becomes a more hollow gaming experience. It's actually a business model designed to keep the community smaller so they don't have to invest as much into server upkeep, it creates a game where people who started on day one might enjoy the game but people who bought it half a year after it was out usually won't stick around long cause they don't feel like playing catch up with a community where almost everyone has a big advanatge over them. With Socom you were never playing to unlcok everything you were playing for the game and for your clan so you never needed an unlock to motivate you to keep going. The game itself was good enough to make you keep going and with everyone having the same arsenal it became about skill rather then about who has access to the better weapons from day one that you started playing. It became about focusing on new strategies youused on each map instead of just on stratgies to get your next unlock quicker. Once you do unlock everything the interest starts to fade because you start to realize the game itself was never that good to begin with which was why you needed that string along formula to keep you going.

Sig: Socom 1 and 2 best games I've played on any console.
Message 34 of 53 (448 Views)
Gaming Beast
2157 posts

Mar 31, 2014

Setzaroth wrote:

peckdogg68 wrote:

I agree completely with the op, and I am hoping games do not take a turn for the worst and expect more money just to stay competitive.  I am glad you brought this to my attention, so i can properly research aspects of some games before buying them.  It is ok for personalization but to pay to give unfair advantages is not a good way for playstation to go.  I will avoid these games as well.

You might want to do MORE research, because it isn't an unfair advantage at this point.

I made no point about bf4, I just agreed that pay to win is unfair.  It is true i did not do any research on bf4 because I do not have it and do not plan on buying it, I just stated I am against pay to win and I will research games before buying them to make sure they are not pay to win. 

Atari, Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Nintendo 64, PS1, Sega Saturn, PS2, PSP, PS3, Nintendo Wii, Nintendo 3ds and PS4
Message 35 of 53 (441 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2567 posts

Mar 31, 2014
Unlock with money - You don't want to spend time on something you don't want to do and just skip to the part where you have fun.

Unlock by playing - You don't want to spend money on getting something that you already can get for free at the cost of time.

When it comes down to the gameplay itself, if you suck horse**bleep** and you have the best equip in game, it wouldn't matter.
If you're awesome and your equip sucks horse**bleep**, but you hate IAPs and you're playing an EA game, just shut up about it, you either suck or you don't. Reaction times and hand-eye coordination are also important. Good luck.
Message 36 of 53 (431 Views)
First Son
9 posts

Mar 31, 2014

Tombstone gets it. An industry trend can spark a disaster - we can't afford to have EA be the trend setters.

As far as how is this pay to win? Well because if you didn't just buy your weapon upgrades you wouldn't have the more powerful gear and weapons, unless you legitamtely earned them. Now people that are not interested in paying for fast track upgrades have to play with everyone else that payed to have better gear and weapons - it's a form of pay to win. It's not as pay to win as some games I will give you that, but it still a form of pay to win. They have tried to tame it down so not to turn people away, but it's still pay to win and if you don't see it then take off your blinders.

I would argue in the case of COD even being able to buy extra weapon slots is a form of pay to win, that's one extra weapon loadout you have to audible to as the game goes on. The camo skins and the personalized no game altering microtransactions are acceptable, but the minute you alter game play is the minute you crossed the line.

Message 37 of 53 (422 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
270 posts

Apr 1, 2014

bf4 microtransaction does't make your aim better , so i don't see how it's pay to win.

BF3 Stats
Message 38 of 53 (417 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1480 posts

Apr 1, 2014
Like others have said you can't buy skill. Give me the first gun in any of the 4 classes and I will **bleep** on 3/4 of whatever lobby I'm playing in. Its as simple as that.
Message 39 of 53 (415 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10134 posts

Apr 1, 2014
No you can't buy skill however this is just one example of how EA is ripping off the consumer.
Message 40 of 53 (396 Views)
0 Likes