Oct 26 2013
By: KillerIsJed First Son 7 posts

DualShock 4 Unboxing, First Impressions and HD Close-ups; In action on various PS3 games (UPDATED)

[ Edited ]
15 replies 420 views Edited Oct 26, 2013

UPDATE: Here is a video of me playing various PS3 games with the controller: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaCyTalq750

So I picked up the DualShock 4 yesterday at my local Gamestop (Columbus, Ohio) and had some time to mess around with it.

I made an unboxing / impressions / close-ups video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOneRRzcg0Q

Since then I've had some time to play using it on PC and on PS3. First off it isn't really plug and play on the PC. Some games it will work with okay, others you need to configure it or use a program to trick Windows into thinking it is an X360 controller.

On PS3 it mostly works other than motion controls. I played a bit of KillZone 3 (up until the first pointless motion control objective) and then some of 3D Dot Game Heroes. 

While in the unboxing I thought the triggers felt nice, now I'm not so sure. The way your fingers lay across the L2/R2 buttons is quite different than the PS3's DualShock 3. On the DualShock 3 your finger tips mostly lay across the broader triggers. 

On the PS4's DualShock 4 the triggers are a bit smaller and dip in concave. Your fingers naturally lie in this dip, but it causes your index finger to be further up, closer to the first knuckle, which causes you to have to use most of your finger to press the button instead of just tips. Basically you have to use the muscles in your index fingers, instead of just your finger tips.

I'm going to give it a few more days and try holding it a few different ways to see if it feels more comfortable, but I've never had an issue like this with any other controller in the past, they just seem to fall naturally into place. My index fingers hurt a bit right now, and I only played for maybe 2 hours tops...

If you have any questions or comments, I'll be glad to try to answer them. I do plan on trying it out on more games later today.

Also, I took some shots of me licking the DualShock 4 before Jessica Chobot could beat me to it. Those can be seen here: http://imgur.com/gallery/N3hLN

Message 1 of 16 (420 Views)
Fender Bender
3334 posts

Re: DualShock 4 Unboxing, First Impressions and HD Close-ups; Trigger Issues?

Oct 26, 2013
You combed your hair just for that video didn't you
Image and video hosting by TinyPicHEAVY WEAPONS GUYImage and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 2 of 16 (415 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Oct 26, 2013

Hahaha, nah, I always look that way (except for when I wake up or after 'business' of course).

Message 3 of 16 (395 Views)
Fender Bender
3334 posts

Oct 26, 2013
Lol appreciate the time telling us your experiance.

Can't wait for a demo kiosk so I can get my hands on one.
Image and video hosting by TinyPicHEAVY WEAPONS GUYImage and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 4 of 16 (390 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3598 posts

Oct 26, 2013

Love the controler but no cable omg!  Thanks for the info now i will know to pick one up with the blue controler i want.

Getting Older doesn't mean it's GAME OVER
My PS4 Games of 2016: Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted 4 SE, No Man's Sky SE. Also: PlayStation VR
Message 5 of 16 (367 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 26, 2013

i dont think colored controllers will be put out for a while.

Message 6 of 16 (314 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3825 posts

Oct 26, 2013

I like the pics of you licking the controller

KZMProductionsGT
Message 7 of 16 (311 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
30 posts

Oct 26, 2013
How accurate are the analog sticks when playing shooter games? Is it more precise than the 360 controller? (I only own a 360 at the moment.)

Thanks.
Message 8 of 16 (302 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Oct 26, 2013

AbsenceOfFaith wrote:
How accurate are the analog sticks when playing shooter games? Is it more precise than the 360 controller? (I only own a 360 at the moment.)

Thanks.

I'd say they feel about the same, if not a smidge tighter. They feel great.

Message 9 of 16 (294 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
30 posts

Oct 26, 2013
Thanks. I was scared it would be less precise because Sony decided to shorten the analog sticks. I have FPS Freeks on my 360 controller which heightens the sticks, allowing for more precise movements.
Message 10 of 16 (241 Views)
0 Likes