Apr 03 2009
By: Kixtart First Son 21 posts

DualShock 3 Problem ..

16 replies 74 views Edited Apr 3, 2009

I am trying to play GTA IV with a DualShock 3 controller I bought today. However, unlike with my SixAxis, a lot of the buttons are NOT sensitive at ALL. For example, instead of lightly pressing R2 to slowly accelerate I have to press it HARD and all the way down for the car to even respond, and even then it only goes about 10mph. When I aim with L2 it aims fine, but when I press R2 it doesn't fire no matter how hard I press the button.

Is there some sort of calibration I need to do? Is this a common problem? Did I just get a defective controller?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 17 (74 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2752 posts

Re: DualShock 3 Problem ..

Apr 3, 2009
most likley defective....never heard a problem with the dualshock
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 17 (74 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1540 posts

Apr 3, 2009

NikkiSixx2 wrote:
most likley defective....never heard a problem with the dualshock

http://www.youtube.com/user/mdw880
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 17 (74 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
42 posts

Apr 3, 2009
yep most likely defective, i have dual shocks and they work fine.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 17 (74 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1519 posts

Apr 3, 2009
Yeah defective mine works fine.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 17 (74 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
52 posts

Dec 18, 2012

So I know this is an old thread, but I just put in GTA IV for old times sake, and I am having the exact same problem. The R2 function on my controller. It works fine to reload when playing Uncharted, and will always draw your weapon on GTA IV, but will only shoot maybe half the time, and I have to press it really hard for it to work sometimes. Is this a known malfunction with the game controls, or the controller itself. I think it may be a defective controller, because I also have this problem sometimes when trying to change the text with R2 if typing a message (to change letters to caps I believe). Do I need to get a new controller, again? I broke the plastic casing on my first controller, and this one too (the two bottom screws), so maybe I will eventually anyway. These things are made so cheap, but are expensive. Joysticks wear out easy too. What a waste. They probably intentionally make these things super cheap, so they are prone to break and you have to buy a new one. I need to be more gentle from now on with my controllers. PS2 controllers lasted longer than these pieces of junk. My controller rattles from this broken plastic, so could this possibly be a small shard of plastic begind the trigger causing this problem?

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 17 (73 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
52 posts

Dec 18, 2012

well its definately my controller. R2 seems to be working but not 100% at all times. defective, probably faulty wiring or something. maybe i will take it apart just to check it out. but im thinking i probably need to get a different controller if i want to play GTA anymore. i wouldnt know how to fix it. anyone know how to fix this?

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 17 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3055 posts

Dec 18, 2012

take it apart and clean up the variable resistors as best as you can with alcohol 90%^ or contact cleaner and dont worry about using to much just let it dry before connecting the battery back up..have fixed several this way over the years..if it don't work still the variables are worn out and you will need to replace the controller..

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 17 (60 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
52 posts

Dec 18, 2012

thanks, il try that. i just started another thread in support. lol.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 17 (57 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3055 posts

Dec 18, 2012

i play GTA all the time..add me  psn id= kythunder and LAPD_UNIT_208

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 17 (54 Views)
0 Likes