First Son
9 posts

Re: Downloads from PS Store is extremely slow!

Jan 4, 2009
I also have this problem. I can play online without any lag, though.
Message 21 of 29 (216 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

Mar 18, 2010

I noticed when your playing online your download pretty much stops. you have to leave your ps3 running for hours to complete

Message 22 of 29 (216 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Apr 13, 2010

Hi guys,

I had this same issue - downloading a HD Rental i'd purchased was suggesting at least 10 hours of download time. I have a 20mbit cable connection in the UK, so realistically I should be getting around 2mb down a second.

I've just changed the PS3 to be plugged in to my router by Ethernet cable and I'm now getting 1mbps down - not perfect, but 8 times faster than before.

Hope this helps

Message 23 of 29 (216 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
586 posts

Apr 14, 2010

Yea, there isn't a simple answer to this. Way I see it, theres 6 things to consider.

1. Your connection from your PS3 to your modem. (Router config, wireless, someone else using bandwidth)

2. Your connection quality between your modem and your ISP. (Modem signal levles, service tier,distance from server,node congestion,etc)

3. The quality of your ISP (Traffic managment, bandwidth on the trunk lines, latency issues, etc)

4. The connection between your ISP and the service providers PSN purchases.(where the nearest connection is, it's capacity Vs use, maintence and network problems)

5. The connection from that provider and the PSN content servers. (Rerouted traffic, limited abilitity, etc)

6. The current load on the content itself. (How many are downloading, using, or streaming it)

You can only really control the first two factors, and even some of 2 is unavoidable. Also, the chain is as strong as the weakest link. If the bottleneck is at 3 or 4, it doesn't matter if you pay 70$ for the best internet tier. Also doesn't matter if you have a 250$ router with every setting perfect. Now, if you get 1 and 2 nailed down, and then pick the best ISP for 3 and 4...and if PSN got pay to play (that help alot with 4, 5, and 6) then alot of these problems willl go away. Just don't think it's simple.

Message 24 of 29 (216 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
944 posts

Apr 14, 2010

your isp is screwing you on speed, your configed wrong or you have high network traffic

oh and 7mbps is not that fast.

Message 25 of 29 (216 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
586 posts

Apr 14, 2010

His ISP is screwing him on speed? Realy? You don't even know what tier he subscribes to. And...::sigh:: Nevermind ::face palms::

Message 26 of 29 (216 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Sep 13, 2010

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Tell me about it

Message 27 of 29 (216 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 8, 2013

I'm getting ridiculously slow downloads (and connections to the Playstation Store generally).  It's not my internet conection, we get around 16Mbps.  We never have any problems streaming high definition fillms in 1080p on the Apple TV - at any time of the day (usually during peak time in the evening).  We pay for a premium broadband package which guarantees not to limit bandwidth.

For the first 20 minutes of downloading an 11GB game from Sony this evening it managed to download 20MB.

Message 28 of 29 (190 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
26 posts

Jan 9, 2013

Well i have also really REALLY slow download speed, i guess becouse i live in Croatia... anyway i just let the game downloading over the night if its larger then 9 gb.

"My dear Mr. Mandus, I admire your vision; I truly do. But there are surely not enough pigs in the whole of London to feed the appetite of such a machine.”
“That all rather depends, Professor, on what one considers to be a pig.”
Message 29 of 29 (181 Views)
0 Likes