Monster Hunter
35 posts

Re: Downloads from PS Store is extremely slow!

Jan 5, 2007
I've had this problem since November 22nd the day I got my PS3.

I have 5MB download/512k upload cable connection.

I have Xbox 360 sitting 1 foot away from my PS3 and I use a laptop wirelessly about 4 feet away from my gaming systems.

Downloads on the PSN are ungodly, unbelievably slow compared to downloading on my other devices.

It took me 4 hours to download the 500MB Motorstorm demo.  It takes about 10 minutes to download a file this size on my other devices.  It took me 7 hours to download the GT HD demo.  Even downloading little 100MB trailers can take upwards of an hour at the Playstation store.

I have tried everything.  I have ran a wire directly from the cable modem, tried it wired, wirelessly, tried it at different times of day and night, and it doesn't make any difference.

I've called Sony twice about this and gotten nowhere, except the last time I called I got angry because they were blaming it on everything at my end, but I told them I was tired of their excuses because IT WAS NOT ANYTHING AT MY END if my Xbox 360 and laptop and desktop PC have no problems at all downloading anything.  Only the PS3 has problems.  They finally admitted that it was probably something at their end and said they probably don't have the correct ports opened on their servers that will allow them to communicate effectively with everyone's ISP.
Message 11 of 29 (210 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jan 5, 2007
I have the same problems.  I know there is nothing wrong with my internet connection because I tried downloading the system update on both the PS3 and on my home computer using the same connection.  The PS3 was at 40% complete after 30 to 40 minutes of downloading, so I went and downloaded it using my home computer and it took 2.5 minutes. 

Currently I'm downloading GT HD and after about an hour and half I'm at only 38% download.  I did a download speed test while downloading GT HD and my computer says the download is 4.0 Mbps.  At that speed it should take about 23 minutes.

I wish the game demos could be downloaded using a computer and then uploaded to the PS3 via memory card.
Message 12 of 29 (210 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
27 posts

Jan 5, 2007
I have an 8mb connection I have my PS3 connected wireless to my router. Unfortunately where it is located I can only get 57-62% signal strength. It could be one of two things: the servers or the wi-fi card embedded into the PS3. I use my Xbox 360 and Laptop in the same location and both have faster speeds. I'll be moving the PS3 closer to the router tommorow. I hope that increases the speed somewhat. It takes me hours to download a demo.
The world will know that few stood against many

52" 46" Samsung 1080p LCD
Playsation 3 (60gig): Resistance/Fight Night Round 3/Madden 07
Message 13 of 29 (210 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
82 posts

Jan 5, 2007
I finally got my PS3 hooked up to the internets.

Downloaded a few demos and vids.  I was kinda slow, but not as slow as has been complained about here.  But it is slower than Xbox Live for me.
Message 14 of 29 (210 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3998 posts

Jan 5, 2007

Akuma147 wrote:
Downloads from the Playstation Store is extremely slow!
I've tried everything possible and nothing helps.

First, I tried with my wireless router (Linksys WRT300N) which is located about 12 feet from the PS3, so I get from 95%-99% signal.
I opened all the ports 10070-10080 TCP, 10070 UDP, and 6000-6999 UDP.  UPnP enabled.
Internet is working fine, Resistance online is working fine, but Downloading from PS store is extremely slow!
Downloading Lair Trailer 85mb and it takes about 1 hour.  Tried to download GT HD demo, and about 3 hours later, I was at 36%, so I cancelled it.

I thought there might be a problem with the wireless connection, so I tried plugging in the ethernet cable for a direct connection, but
the same thing happens, PS store is still slow.
Then I thought there might be a problem with the router, so I tried plugging in the cable modem directly to the PS3, and guess what?
Still extremely slow downloads from the PS store.

There is definitely something wrong with either the PS store or the PS3 itself.

I have a very fast connection 7 Mbps / 512 kbps on cable from Earthlink / Time Warner.

Does anybody out there have a solution?  I know there are a lot of people with slow downloads for the PS Store.

i know i have a very fast connection too but i in 5 mins it got to 1% for R:FoM demo so that will take me 4 hours and 17 mins roughly if it keeps at a steady rate
Message 15 of 29 (210 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Jan 5, 2007
OK, I have to add this. I too have noticed that the PS Store is VERY slow at certain times of the day, Example I was able to down load Tekken Dark on Sunday( 31st ) , around 10:00am  in 24 Mins/ WOW, On Dec 2nd  I tried to download Gengi it took over 2 hours after 7pm  there is probably a banwith issue because of the amount of users on the system at the same time .
Message 16 of 29 (210 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
150 posts

Jan 5, 2007
I can't even get a download,

an error occurs at some point
Message 17 of 29 (210 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 4, 2009
Same here I have Cox Internet with 10 MBPS Cable connection and only get about 200k speed from PSN. I am a little pissed about this since i went out and bought a $50 PSN card to download some HD movies. It's so friggin slow I cant even watch them as they are downloading. What really makes me mad is that I read all these post about how fast customers in Japan get. They are claiming unreal speeds like 4 MBS. Is this because they are next to the Sony Servers or what. I have noticed that sony hasn't bothered answering your post, they must not want our hard earned american money, since I will not buy anymore PSN cards for this reason. I recommened that NOBODY buys PSN cards till this get fixed.
Message 18 of 29 (210 Views)
Sackboy
554 posts

Jan 4, 2009

My old router made downloading very slow. Like 7 - 12 hours slow.

But the new one my mom got takes at least an hour or less to download stuff.

mechabuu
Message 19 of 29 (210 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3406 posts

Jan 4, 2009
I have noticed this too. All my online capable games play just fine. I always figured it was my connection. Makes sense that the PS Store does not have enough bandwith to handle all the ppl downloading from it. I have never been kicked off the PSN while downloading, so that is a plus right there.
SIG: 40 GIG PS3 owner PS3 games:Motor storm & Pacific Rift, Resistance 1&2,MGS4, Sonic Ultimate Sega Genesis Collection,Fallout 3 GOTYE and Burnout Paradise.PSN: Wipe out,Mortal Kombat II,Pain,Tekken2 and Twisted Metal 2,Syphon Filter,Castlevania Chronicles,and Destruction Derby.
Message 20 of 29 (210 Views)
0 Likes