Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sep 15 2012
By: rpgdreamer First Son 15 posts

Downloading free Plus games question..

[ Edited ]
21 replies 1165 views Edited Sep 27, 2012

So okay... I'm trying out PSN+ for first 3 months for the first time.

Got a 60GB old model. Now I've never downloaded games from PSN store before. Only manual install from retail games. Well I tried downloading a few new games but when I tried downloading Infamous 2 for free it said my HD is out of space.

So in order for me to take advantage of the free games that PSN+ offers I need a new HD or a new PS3 model? Reason why I ask is that if I'm downloading these games to my HD shouldn't I be able to play them after my membership expired?

Plus thinking long term say if I plan on getting all these free games each month... how am I going to handle all these free games on my HD? I doubt even a 320GB Slim is going to be enough in the long run.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 22 (1,165 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28632 posts

Re: Downloading free games question..

[ Edited ]
Sep 15, 2012

rpgdreamer wrote:

So okay... I'm trying out PSN+ for first 3 months for the first time.

Got a 60GB old model. Now I've never downloaded games from PSN store before. Only manual install from retail games. Well I tried downloading a few new games but when I tried downloading Infamous 2 for free it said my HD is out of space.

So in order for me to take advantage of the free games that PSN+ offers I need a new HD or a new PS3 model? Reason why I ask is that if I'm downloading these games to my HD shouldn't I be able to play them after my membership expired?

Plus thinking long term say if I plan on getting all these free games each month... how am I going to handle all these free games on my HD? I doubt even a 320GB Slim is going to be enough in the long run.

You don't need a new PS3, just a new HDD with more space, unfortunately with all the full digital downloads now available a 60GB isn't really going to cut it these days, you realy need to have a 250GB HDD & upwards, 500GB or even a 1TB HDD is probably ideal if you are thinking of downloading a LOT of digital content.

Any free games you get from PlayStation Plus are only yours to play if you remain a PlayStation Plus Subscriber, if you let your Subscription lapse the games wil no-longer be available to you, if you then re-subscribe at a later date anything you previously purchased will become available to you once again, also anything you buy at a discount, including any Avatars & Themes etc are yours to keep forever, be they free or paid for.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 22 (1,157 Views)
Lombax Warrior
194 posts

Sep 15, 2012

Yeah just pop in a new HD they made it really easy to do you dont need to pay for a new console. Or you can start a game downloading then cancle it that will unlock it as long as you stay a member you dont have to download the whole thing. Then you just delete what your not playing and download it again when your in the mood. This will save ya from haveing to put out more money but is a pain, because you have to wait for the game to download before you can play it. A game like Infamous 2 can hit 10 gigs or more though and you need to double that to get it to install I believe so with that small of a harddrive you can get by but its really not ideal. You can pick up a new HD pretty cheap and Sony did a wonderiful job in how easy they made them to switch so that would be the best option for you and is alot cheaper then a new ps3 would be. If you do decide to upgrade your HD go as big as you can because trust me you start getting all these free games and DLC for them you are going to want a big one. Hope this help

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 22 (1,151 Views)
First Son
15 posts

Sep 15, 2012

1. Ok would getting an external USB harddrive for game download works or does it need to be an internal harddrive?

2. If I'm upgrading an internal harddrive, what kind of harddrive would it have to be? A regular PC SATA harddrive would do?

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 22 (1,137 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28632 posts

Sep 15, 2012

rpgdreamer wrote:

1. Ok would getting an external USB harddrive for game download works or does it need to be an internal harddrive?

An external USB flash drive or HDD can be used for saving data, but not for downloading games directly onto.

2. If I'm upgrading an internal harddrive, what kind of harddrive would it have to be? A regular PC SATA harddrive would do?

Pretty much any laptop HDD will serve your needs.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 22 (1,125 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1283 posts

Sep 15, 2012

rpgdreamer wrote:

Get a 500GB or 1TB 2.5" 5400rpm SATA.

You wont need to spend an extra $50 on an external HDD to backup everything on your HDD since it's your first download from the PSN, unless you have anything personal on the HDD that you feel the need to make a backup of. What I would suggest is just backup all of your saved game data to the online storage that comes with Plus, and also set all of your games to automatically do that. Then set your PS3 to auto update, which should auto-patch all of your games to the latest version for you during the daily update so you don't have to do it individually after installing the new HDD.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 22 (1,122 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Sep 15, 2012

1. How do I set up so PS+ auto update and auto-patch games?

2. Can I set it so that when I play and save a game that the game would save **bleep** up to the Online Storage?

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 22 (1,116 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Sep 15, 2012

sstfamily wrote:

Yeah just pop in a new HD they made it really easy to do you dont need to pay for a new console. Or you can start a game downloading then cancle it that will unlock it as long as you stay a member you dont have to download the whole thing. Then you just delete what your not playing and download it again when your in the mood. This will save ya from haveing to put out more money but is a pain, because you have to wait for the game to download before you can play it. A game like Infamous 2 can hit 10 gigs or more though and you need to double that to get it to install I believe so with that small of a harddrive you can get by but its really not ideal. You can pick up a new HD pretty cheap and Sony did a wonderiful job in how easy they made them to switch so that would be the best option for you and is alot cheaper then a new ps3 would be. If you do decide to upgrade your HD go as big as you can because trust me you start getting all these free games and DLC for them you are going to want a big one. Hope this help

I think I might try this trick and see if it works.

I can go out and buy a Slim now but I want to see if Sony plan on releasing a really new Slim model with a small HD that will fit my needs since I can replace the HDD and get a HD that I want and install it when I buy the new Slim model. But I want to still take advantage of the free game offer while I wait if I can.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 22 (1,114 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1283 posts

Sep 15, 2012

rpgdreamer wrote:

1. How do I set up so PS+ auto update and auto-patch games?

2. Can I set it so that when I play and save a game that the game would save **bleep** up to the Online Storage?

Settings > [System Settings] > [Automatic Updates] > On

You then simply set the time of each day it updates and your Playstation will automatically do everything for you. It'll check for updates/patches, and it'll upload your Saved Game Data for the games you've set to upload. Make sure you keep it plugged in at all times so the system can turn itself on and do what it has to do.

2. Yes. Insert Game > Press Triangle On The Game > Saved Data Auto Upload > On

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 22 (1,109 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1283 posts

Sep 15, 2012

rpgdreamer wrote:

sstfamily wrote:

I think I might try this trick and see if it works.

I can go out and buy a Slim now but I want to see if Sony plan on releasing a really new Slim model with a small HD that will fit my needs since I can replace the HDD and get a HD that I want and install it when I buy the new Slim model. But I want to still take advantage of the free game offer while I wait if I can.

The days of small HDD's are behind us. The newest model, if Sony does release it, wont have anything under 250GB. You should upgrade your current PS3 HDD to a 500GB-1TB and when you get a new PS3 down the line you sell the HDD it came with and pop in the 500GB-1TB HDD.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 22 (1,108 Views)
0 Likes