Oct 29 2012
By: gwalum First Son 4 posts

Doom BFG Resolution Issue

18 replies 148 views Edited Oct 29, 2012

Hoping someone out there can help.  I bought Doom BFG last week and couldn't download it because there wasn't enough space left on the drive (9+GB free, but couldn't download a 7+GB game....go figure).  So I spent more money to upgrade the hard drive and after many days, finally got the system ready to download my newly purchased game that I have yet to play.  This time it allowed me to download it but was PAINFULLY slow - I'm talking dial-up modem speeds.  After taking over 24hrs to download I was psyched to finally get to play it.  No luck - I started the game and got prompted to download yet another update.  Fortunately, it was only 30MB so didn't take nearly as long.  Whew!  Now finally get to play!.....NOPE.  I start the game and get......NOTHING.  I tried to be patient thinking it's gotta be performing tasks in the back to start the game, so I gave it over an HOUR....still nothing.  I tried turning it off and on...nothing.  I even took a chance and deleted it to redownload.  Shockingly it download overnight instead of a full 24hrs again.  It had to work now, right?  Nope.  Same thing....nothing - no audio, no video.  So I called Sony tech support.  The first tech stepped me through booting up in safe mode and restoring the file system.  After it rebooted I noticed the resolution had reverted to 480p.  I tried to start the game anyway and BINGO...it came up!  Pushing my luck, I kept the tech on the line to make sure I could reset my reslution back to 1080i and still get the game to start....sure enough, I got....NOTHING.  Something was clearly wrong.  The tech mentioned that the back of the game cover should show the supported resolutions and that this game probably only suppored 480p.  Then she realized that I told her I had downloaded it so wouldn't have the cover to fall back on.  So I pulled up the PlaystationStore and found the info page and there it was.....plain as day it stated that the game supported 720p, 1080i, and 1080p.  By that time I was met with silence on the other end.  I asked to speak with someone else.  A supervisor came on the line and I explained to her the situation.  She said I wasn't getting 1080 because I wasn't using HDMI.  I informed her that my TV (although many years old now) did indeed support 1080i over component cables and that I am able to play GT5 in 1080 just fine.  She kept arguing with me telling me that it was the lack of HDMI that was the problem.

So now my question - has anyone else experienced this with Doom BFG (or any other game) where the game will not even start (no audio or video) when using component cables?  Keep in mind, other games work fine, as does my FIOS HD receiver.

Please help.  I'm not buying this official Sony answer.

Message 1 of 19 (148 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Re: Doom BFG Resolution Issue

Oct 29, 2012

Are your forcing the game into 1080?

Have you tried 720?

Furiously Chaosing
Message 2 of 19 (144 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Oct 29, 2012
IMO if the game is downloading that slowly, it is probably full of errors that make that download unable to run in the first place. With a FIOS connection, it should only take a few hours to download at most. Eventually you should be able to get a solid connection and be able to get a running version.

Based on your description it sounds like you have an older HDTV, and can only run 1080i resolution. From what I have seen most PS3 games don't support that resolution anymore, most of the time it is 720p on the high end 480p on the low end.

As far as "tech support" goes, as you found out their knowledge is quite limited. From my experience most of what they "know" is limited to what they can read from their computer terminals, and not much more beyond that. They are best used for people that have practically zero knowledge about how a PS3 operates...
Message 3 of 19 (141 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11154 posts

Oct 29, 2012

It sounds like the OP has a TV that ONLY does 1080i or 480p.  I have a neighbor with an older Mitsubishi Rear Projection set that has no support for 720p.  If that is the case, then Logical_Dolphin is correct.  For Doom BFG, 480p may be the only option.

In fact, I'm pretty sure all of the HD remakes of older games are only capable of 720p.

Message 4 of 19 (139 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Oct 29, 2012

Thanks for the replies, everyone.  Yes, it's an older TV that does support 720p but I've never gotten it to work with my PS3 so I just leave that option unchecked in the Display settings.  I have a projector that does have HDMI and will try that later today.  Just frustrating when the game description says it supports 1080i/p but can't seem to get there.

Message 5 of 19 (132 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8193 posts

Oct 29, 2012

gwalum wrote:

Thanks for the replies, everyone.  Yes, it's an older TV that does support 720p but I've never gotten it to work with my PS3 so I just leave that option unchecked in the Display settings.  I have a projector that does have HDMI and will try that later today.  Just frustrating when the game description says it supports 1080i/p but can't seem to get there.

Can you try unchecking 1080i and 1080p and leaving 720p and 480p checked?

Message 6 of 19 (128 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Oct 29, 2012

Yes, I've tried to filter everything except 480 and 720.  I don't get any video at all since the PS3 seems to prefer the highest resolution selected.  If I de-select 720 and leave only 480 it does work.

Message 7 of 19 (120 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Oct 29, 2012
It's probably time to upgrade your display, if you want more resolution options. HDTVs with HDMI connections are quite cheap these days, and should get even cheaper for the holiday season...
Message 8 of 19 (117 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7027 posts

Oct 29, 2012

Doom 3 does not support 1080p or 1080i and can not be forced it will down scale to 480p and will not trigger the PS3 upscaleer.

Doom 1 and 2 do support 1080p and 1080i as it runs upscaled content., 

This is why the BFG edition has all resolutions on is profile.

The problem is the launcher menu for all three games is only native 720p or downscaled 480p not 1080i/p....

Native resolution for doom 3 is limited to 720p... 

SIEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester
I use Game Capture HD II to capture and upload videos on to youtube

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

View forum in Full Desktop Power or Mobile Mode

Message 9 of 19 (111 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11154 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 29, 2012

Logical_Dolphin wrote:
It's probably time to upgrade your display, if you want more resolution options. HDTVs with HDMI connections are quite cheap these days, and should get even cheaper for the holiday season...

^^ This.

If you want a smaller display suitable for a desktop or small room, the PS3 3D display is currently selling for $180 at Best Buy (24" 1080p 240Hz LED, Active 3D).

At the other end, you can get a 60" flat panel HDTV at Walmart for under $1,000.

Message 10 of 19 (99 Views)
0 Likes