Apr 28 2013
By: DustyBottoms Hekseville Citizen 282 posts

Does this game exist?

8 replies 176 views Edited Apr 28, 2013
I am looking for a certain type of game and need your help. I have been growing tired of the general efforts of this generation. Seems every game is a open world sandbox, cutscenes heavy interactive movie, or a FP shooter.... You get the idea.
I am craving a 2D side scrolling, or top down action adventure with with RPG elements. Lots of items too collect, and great graphics. Any ideas? I am thinking something of the Castlevania type if game comes to mind....
Message 1 of 9 (176 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

Re: Does this game exist?

Apr 28, 2013

It's not quite like Castlevania, but I'd recommend checking out Guacamelee!

It's super fun and has some light RPG elements, in that you do collect items to upgrade your character (health and stamina), as well as coins to purchase some new combat moves and such.

Message 2 of 9 (174 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
282 posts

Apr 28, 2013
Thanks.. I saw that game. It's a shame there aren't more game like Faxandu anymore.
Message 3 of 9 (168 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4403 posts

Apr 28, 2013

DustyBottoms wrote:
I am looking for a certain type of game and need your help. I have been growing tired of the general efforts of this generation. Seems every game is a open world sandbox, cutscenes heavy interactive movie, or a FP shooter.... You get the idea.
I am craving a 2D side scrolling, or top down action adventure with with RPG elements. Lots of items too collect, and great graphics. Any ideas? I am thinking something of the Castlevania type if game comes to mind....

You also might be want to check out "Costume Quest" and/or "The Cave."

Both are on PSN.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 4 of 9 (162 Views)
Lombax Warrior
104 posts

Apr 28, 2013

i suggest little big planet Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 9 (154 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13633 posts

Apr 28, 2013
Look through the PSN store. There are a ton of games there that should fit what you're looking for.
Message 6 of 9 (148 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
282 posts

Apr 28, 2013
Only issue with the ps store is you don't really get gameplay previews. It's just a short description.
Message 7 of 9 (126 Views)
Welcoming Committee
4403 posts

Apr 28, 2013

DustyBottoms wrote:
Only issue with the ps store is you don't really get gameplay previews. It's just a short description.

If a game description peaks your interest, and does not have a gameplay preview on the store, just look for one on the web.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 8 of 9 (117 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Hekseville Citizen
275 posts

[ Edited ]
May 2, 2013

DustyBottoms wrote:

...Hmm  This might hit or miss.

If you have access to a PS2, or if you have an early-model PS3 that’s back-compatible, one game that can meet your needs half-way is a little-known (or little-remembered?) sleeper called Drakan 2: Ancients Gate. 

(by meet your needs “halfway”, I mean it is NOT a top-down or 2D scroller,…it DOES have a “shooter” style over the shoulder feel).

(by “sleeper” I mean few players found out about it because it’s prequel was a PC-only game---both had GREAT reviews, but the “drakan” title just never got an audience in the console-gamers world.)

It "feels" more immense than Final Fantasy games only because the paths (quests) are in an order that YOU choose, and don’t know till you’re on it if that path is just a quickie-dangerous favor for a villager, or a bone-breakin’ long journey that leads you up to an important Boss you really wish you’d gotten more items and know-how for before you've now accidently gotten yourself caught meeting him.

It’s not as immense as I imagine Warcraft may be, because unlike that kind of RPG, Drakan 2 keeps you on ONE person’s personal issues, one person's maturing, fact-finding, skill-sharpening, and item-swapping.

Items are ABUNDANT!! (you won’t be able to brag that you found them all without a walkthrough cheat).  Juicy items and weapons are often in places you may NEVER happen across (dropped in the bottom of a nothing mud-puddle during an anonymous hero’s death in a nameless cavern, on a trip you didn't even have to take to progress in the game).  One warrior gave his life with such honor, his tomb and sword are hidden behind a wall you don't even know is a door, and are given no clue there's a stone-collecting code to open the wall...WHAT an arse-kickin' sword too. 

Metal weapons must be cared for…even when resharpened by the better armorers, their steel bodies WILL eventually break, and you've destroyed a weapon that took so much to find.  Many of the cool weapons even had Names (think, Lord of the Rings).

SOME items are so oddball, if you thought it was something too comical and passed it up the first time you saw it in the smithy’s shop---you WON’T ever see it hanging in the store again if you later find out how apparently powerful that goofy thing is!!

It blends some magic, from individuals who can throw your blackbelt fanny in the dumpster with just 4 moves…to those who are just punks touting a stolen fire spell or two and use it make the rest of their rabble afraid of them.

It’s patient (you WALK realtime through every place, or ride your partner/mentor when you can), so you can wear yourself out.

It’s Semi-linear.  SOME paths you MUST go on (there’s too much at stake, or the taste of revenge just can't be turned away from).  Some paths are accidental, not even hinted on any map, give no promises, result in no rewards except beating on a troll Smiley LOL.

One downside:  A single Drakan 2 memory card-save eats TONS of card data.  Without cheating with a walkthrough, you are never sure you visited everything when you “finish” the game, so MULTIPLE saving of game progress is VITAL.  The old PS2 memory cards filled up fast when I played this game---you just get afraid to ERASE a save cuz you don’t remember where you found half the special weapons you accumulated! 

But I can honestly say it is the ONLY video game ever, that hooked me into staying up all night once, and sleepwalking through my college classes all next day.  NO OTHER game has made me do that...hmm.

The old critic-reviews may still be on the Net, so check if you want.  I don’t remember a bad review.  But like I said…games with PC origins don’t always gather Console fans.

Robot wink

Sad goodbyes and a Universe of good wishes to the 49, especially to CCP Eterne...
Because no story or character (not even an Eve character) can have a life without writers and publishers.

I'll miss your contributuions, Eterne.
Message 9 of 9 (56 Views)
0 Likes