Highlighted
Jul 21 2012
By: sudoku99 Lombax Warrior 67 posts

Does this count as "well ventilated" for my PS3?

[ Edited ]
7 replies 442 views Edited Jul 21, 2012

I'm designing a wooden TV table where I'm going to have a compartment specifically for my PS3 measuring 55cm x 46cm x 22cm (L x B x H).

The two sides, top, bottom and back will be all enclosed with wood, whilst the front only will be always open.

Are these measurements I mentioned above enough to cater as good ventilation for my PS3 to avoid it from becoming overheated (leading to a possible YLOD) or should I think of inserting a 12cm x 12cm axial box fan at the back of the compartment to blow out the hot air inside?

Any suggestions/solutions are appreciated.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 8 (442 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
392 posts

Re: Does this count as "well ventilated" for my PS3?

[ Edited ]
Jul 21, 2012

Honestly I would never put it into any enclosed area. The warm or hot air can just circulate around inside.  Even a fairly big enclosure still will recirculate the same air that the PS3 is blowing out. Your just better off putting it out in the open on top of something as opposed to inside of it. Also a box fan will just stir up dust and dirty up the inside of your PS3 faster than it normally would.

Baptism's of Fire
Photobucket
Message 2 of 8 (437 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Jul 21, 2012

What some people have done to their entertainment centers, whether store bought or built, is in some areas where they had components they were worried about overheating, is they wired up a few large computer fans on the back of them to evacuate the hot air coming from their devices. And some have wired them to a variable resistor type control knob to adjust the speed at which the fans operate so they could "tune" the amount of air they moved either by the sound volume of the fan or by how hot something is getting

Furiously Chaosing
Message 3 of 8 (433 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
67 posts

Jul 21, 2012

Shall I make the fan suck out the hot air from the inside or vice versa (i.e. make the fan blow air inside the compartment where I have the PS3)?

Message 4 of 8 (422 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
128 posts

Jul 22, 2012
Just put it on a table with some beer bottle caps under the system to help move the air around and under the system. Works great for me.
Message 5 of 8 (395 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
67 posts

Jul 22, 2012

So, if I make (1) the fan suck out the hot air from the inside of the compartent AND (2) elevate the system to help move the air around and under the system, will it be enough to cater for as good ventilation for my PS3?

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Message 6 of 8 (366 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5047 posts

Jul 22, 2012

sudoku99 wrote:

So, if I make (1) the fan suck out the hot air from the inside of the compartent AND (2) elevate the system to help move the air around and under the system, will it be enough to cater for as good ventilation for my PS3?

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Theoretically, it should work. But if it were me, I'd still not put it in an enclosure of any type, just to be safe.

If you're dead set on putting it in any type of enclosed space, I'd use a pc type fan like you're thinking, but make sure the fan you buy has a higher CFM (cubic feet/min.) than the ps3's internal fan to help ensure you're exhausting enough hot air from the area. (I have no idea what CFM the ps3's fan is, but Google is your friend). Smiley Wink

Good luck Smiley Surprised

Message 7 of 8 (349 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
32 posts

Jul 22, 2012

I would never suggest enclosing the PS3 console. Keep it in an open, well ventilated area.

Message 8 of 8 (322 Views)