Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 07 2012
By: soldierblue First Son 1 posts

Does the plastic on the new "super-slims" still pop and click?

9 replies 176 views Edited Dec 7, 2012

My older slim has done it from day one when the system heats up and cools down, as I gather the vast majority of them do. Just curious, it's always bugged me a little and I could see myself replacing it if the new ones didn't do that.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 10 (176 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
405 posts

Re: Does the plastic on the new "super-slims" still pop and click?

Dec 7, 2012

Mine used to do that and it scared the crap out of me! Amazingly, it quit doing it when I sent it in to get the blu ray fixed. I don't know about the new ones though.

~REVOLUTION_IS_MY_NAME~
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 10 (168 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Dec 7, 2012
I have a superslim PS3 and it doesn't pop and click at all...
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 10 (164 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15440 posts

Dec 7, 2012

Neither of my PS3's do this.... then again, I don't have my rooms scorching hot

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 10 (137 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3055 posts

Dec 7, 2012

none of the 3 fatties i have do this and sometimes my woodstove drives the temp upwards of 100 degrees in the room be it for a short time but never a issue..my main ps3 i use(cechl01) is only about 12 feet from the stove as well and the fan still never even ramps to full speed with my cooling mods...

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 10 (112 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

Dec 7, 2012

Did you just yell at people for being fanboys, then admit to currently owning 3 fat consoles? I assume you have at least 1 slim in there somewhere. Sup fanboy!

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 10 (109 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3055 posts

Dec 7, 2012

NOPE...no slims in this house dude and if i did have one it would be custom made to fit in a fat body lol..only bought the cechl01 new the others were broke units i bought cheap and repaired myself..im no where near a fanboy...FANBOY

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 10 (100 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1918 posts

Dec 8, 2012

.. ^^ if your dosent i wana know what world of thermo dynamics does this.. 

ALL PS#'s do this.. the system expands when it get hot * by a little* and then as it cools down it "pops and clicks" not really noticible .. but they al do it.. the ps2 ps1 dont since they dont generate that much heat .. you know that clicking and poping your car makes when you turn it off.. thats what im talking about but to a VERY VERY VERY lesser scope.. .. mine does it on cold chilly days..  and as teh assanine above said " my room isint boiling hot" if it was it wouldent crack so ok.. did you stop going to school at 6th grade.. 

heat causes everythings molecules to expand so oncet he ps3 is off.. youl hear lil creeks n cracks but its all fine and dandy..

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 10 (88 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15440 posts

Dec 8, 2012

frogmanlego wrote:

.. ^^ if your dosent i wana know what world of thermo dynamics does this.. 

ALL PS#'s do this.. the system expands when it get hot * by a little* and then as it cools down it "pops and clicks" not really noticible .. but they al do it.. the ps2 ps1 dont since they dont generate that much heat .. you know that clicking and poping your car makes when you turn it off.. thats what im talking about but to a VERY VERY VERY lesser scope.. .. mine does it on cold chilly days..  and as teh assanine above said " my room isint boiling hot" if it was it wouldent crack so ok.. did you stop going to school at 6th grade.. 

heat causes everythings molecules to expand so oncet he ps3 is off.. youl hear lil creeks n cracks but its all fine and dandy..

Maybe in the extreme cases of a cars engine cooling off after being driven on a hot summer day you'll hear the clicking and popping....

Its not much a science as  much as it is PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.... NEITHER of my 60 or 80 Gb PS3's make any noise due to thermal expansion and contraction.  But like i said..... my room temperature stays below 70*F

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 10 (71 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
556 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 8, 2012

Depends on your room temp, unit temp etc etc

its plastic metal and screws binding them together its bound to make noise when the elements are right. ive never heard any of mine do it, but im never sitting right beside them or have a dead silent room either....im sure they do "pop" from time to time

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 10 (59 Views)
0 Likes