Aug 22 2012
By: zadranzai21 First Son 10 posts

Does the Vita take any micro SD card?

[ Edited ]
36 replies 200644 views Edited May 26, 2014

and if so do they work exactly as the playstations vita memory card? i mean if i get it from another company would it be less efficient? 

Mod Edit: Added a cap to title, and added label. Click here for more information on labels

Thanks!   ~lovely1rainbow

Message 1 of 37 (200,644 Views)
Lombax Warrior
152 posts

Re: does the Vita take any micro sd card?

Aug 22, 2012
no other memory card is avalible for vita. you must purchase one if sony's specially made memory cards just for vita.
Message 2 of 37 (200,643 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1018 posts

Aug 22, 2012
They are expensive btw
Message 3 of 37 (200,639 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1392 posts

Aug 22, 2012
no you must use the sony brand ones sold for the vita
Message 4 of 37 (200,633 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
339 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 22, 2012

Nope, Sony purposely made overpriced memory sticks with small gigs on them. The 32 gigs is being sold for 80-90 bucks online(still overpriced for not that much space. I have an 8 gig one for like 30 bucks plus tax and I keep filling it up constantly with games and I deleted all my movies off it. Small memory sticks but expensive pricing for such little space. 

16 gigs model can be found online for around 40-47 bucks now adays. Either way its not like these memory sticks are all that big at all. You can't keep much content on them if you want movies and games plus the price is ridiculous. I own a 2tb harddrive I paid for 99 bucks online. Yeah I know that is bigger in size but that just shows you how much they overcharging. Plus if you go online and look at memory sticks in general you see that they are much cheaper than what Sony's con memory sticks are charging. I think the overpriced Memory sticks probably hurt the vitas sales especially since they're not even that much memory. 

PSP and Ps vita games take between 1-3 gigs up on memory stick depending on which games you get. 

SanDisk 32GB SDHC Flash Memory Card (SDSDB-032G-B35)

is being sold online for about 20-21 bucks on amazon.... Propierty memory sticks are so sony doesn't have competition which is kind of a monopoly in my opinion which I find sickening that they're allowed to do that. 

Message 5 of 37 (200,619 Views)
Monster Hunter
35 posts

Aug 22, 2012
Why can't they just let us use a normal SD card on the Vita?
Message 6 of 37 (200,597 Views)
Lombax Warrior
152 posts

Aug 22, 2012
cuz of idiots like wololo. sony needed there own for security reasons.
Message 7 of 37 (200,594 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
400 posts

Aug 22, 2012
Plus they couldn't charge whatever they wanted then. Sony thought proprietary memory would make them a bunch of cash. Instead it's killing Vita and digital download sales.
Message 8 of 37 (200,585 Views)
Monster Hunter
40 posts

Aug 22, 2012

There is no proof of it killing digital sales as Sony doesn't release sales numbers for the playstation network.

Message 9 of 37 (200,583 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8202 posts

Aug 22, 2012

DaPikmin wrote:
Why can't they just let us use a normal SD card on the Vita?

It's probably because of consistency.

SD Cards are sold in Speed Tiers, ranging from Class 16 (fastest, most expensive), Class 10 (Fast, Costs a little less than 16) and ranging down to Class 2 (Very cheap, Very Slow data transfer). By making their own Memory Cards, they can ensure that the transfer rate of the memory cards are consistent and don't fall below a specific standard. Now, people *love* cheap, so when they get a Vita and it supports MicroSD, they will most likely go for cheap Class 2 MicroSDs on eBay.

So why this matters? Because data isn't loaded into RAM all at once, and digitally downloaded games make heavy use of the memory card. And, if you go for something that has a low memory card speed, data may not stream fast enough from Memory Card to the system, causing long load times, stuttering cinematics, stuttering music, texture pop-in, framerate slowdown, lag and so on.

Does these technical issues sound familiar? That's what Skyrim for PS3 faced on some consoles. Due to hard disks of differing Ps3 models having different transfer rates [1], the Virtual Memory scheme Skyrim used on PS3 collapsed on itself during heavy load on consoles shipped with slow hard disks[2]. A developer stated that the slower hard disks of some PS3 consoles gave them headaches. [3]

Unfortunately, people won't blame their Class 2 MicroSD, they'll blame the Vita for the glitches caused by said MicroSDs. So yeah, in an interest of maintaining one standard, MicroSDs are not supported.

Sources:

[1] http://www.ps3devwiki.com/wiki/Harddrive#Model_info

[2] http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-can-ssd-upgrades-boost-ps3-performance

[3] http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ps3-hard-drive-upgrade-guide

Message 10 of 37 (200,582 Views)