First Son
3 posts

Re: Does the PS3 Fan test/Cleaning mode damage your PS3 ? Rumors speculating

Jan 21, 2010
This will not damage your PS3 at all its for diagnostic purposes when the consoles are being manufactured (so I would guess) also this overrides the PS3 to force eject a disk if it did damage the PS3 why would sony put it in & by now some one would have sued them if it did damage the console (people have won over more stupid things). I think the reason they added this is cus a lot of the consoles early on use to end up with the YLOD so I think they added this as a way to force eject your disk just incase your PS3 dose brake.
Message 21 of 31 (4,448 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
432 posts

Jan 21, 2010
The rumor myth or misconception about the fan test is that it harms the system by heating either the CPU or GPU or both in order for the thermal sensor the fan uses to alter it's RPM at a rated temp.

Easily debunkable.

A)The system starts with the fan speed at 100% or above, any thermal sensor needs to read a temp(you need heat output for this to occur) in order for it to tell the fan how fast to spin. The system would have to be on well before hand in order for a substantial amount of heat to be produced.

B)It takes longer than 10 seconds for CPU's and GPU's to heat up to any degree of heat that would make a fan spin at 100% or more

C)Why would Sony implament such a feature on the outside easily accessible for anyone to try, they could have easily used a switch inside the PS3 casing if it was harmful and would void any warranty

D)If it was overheating, the system has a built in feature to shut off the system before eriversible damage does occur, infact such things are built right into the CPU's and GPU's

FieryCaptain
Coincidentally "coincidence" is the word used by people who choose to ignore subsequent events or variables that seem to follow a specific path. Amazing isn't it?
Message 22 of 31 (4,448 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Aug 10, 2010

alrught down to business, heres some background on me - i have been working with microelectronics for almost 6 years now and took advanced electronics and robotics in high school, and i have done circuit design for the past 3 years

inorder to make the fan go this fast the system is NOT OVERHEATING WHATSOEVER!

basically how it works is that the motor in the fan is controlled by a speed controller which part of the ps3's onboard systems control, so when the temperature goes up, the thermister/thermocouple detects the temperature and the ps3 tells the fan speed controller how fast to spin the fan.

when you use a "fan test/clean" mode you are telling the ps3 to overide the software that calculates fan speed based on temperature and to tell the fan controller to kick the fan up to 100% speed therefore it is IMPOSSIBLE TO GET ANY DAMAGE FROM A FAN TEST MODE PERIOD!

the most that COULD happen is the fet's in the motor controller could burn out due to use of this option which could render the fan inoperable, but so can normal use.

in other words: the fan test mode couldnt damage the system any more than running it normally.

Message 23 of 31 (4,448 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Oct 23, 2010

Well the speculation maybe right, because the fan needs as much as power as the circuit board on the system. The fan in turn uses its power from the board which means the board might have a same affect as overclocking which will damage some of the components if no cooling system is placed in. I doubt the fan will do its job

Message 24 of 31 (4,448 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
555 posts

Oct 23, 2010

i had my ps3 day one, the launch ps3 and it still works..I opened it up and not dust, well a lil but nothing major! I see some peoples ps3's they look terrible inside! PS camfrog videos and on this website pics etc!! And i game with my ps3 so much, somtimes my ps3 it runs for days etc!! I guess i have a clean house!!

PSN ID Street_Killaz.
PS3 Super Slim 1tb
PS Vita
Ps2
Ps1
PSP
Message 25 of 31 (4,448 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Oct 23, 2010

I work on computers regularly. Repairing them and building them. Also, I have taken a Playstation 3 completely apart. I can assure you, unless you are constantly doing it, the fan test absolutely does not harm your playstation 3. That being said, opening it up and using air in a can will be more effective at cleaning it out. However, I wouldn't advise that if you're still under warranty. If you are under warranty, just spray it with a garden hose on full blast.

That last sentence was a joke.

This space for rent.
Message 26 of 31 (4,448 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Oct 23, 2010

I am somewhat confused. when you run the "Test fan/clean fan" procedure your fans fires up at maximum power. This means it is sucking air in and pushing it out of the Playstation 3 system. How would that overheat the system knowing that there is cold air or temprature room air going in the PS3 to cool it down and out with the hot air?

If that causes overheating then I am guessing not only the fans turn on at maximum power but also the PS3's processor of 7 cores and other components start up at maximum which might be the cause of overheating.

I know for a fact that let's say if your PS3 turns on and there are no fans working whatsoever then that is a problem and overheating is imminent.

Someone please answer to this reply.

Thanks.

Message 27 of 31 (4,448 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 12, 2013

i have an 80gig and i can not get this to work.   the fans run pretty hard all the time so i wanna fix this before it gets too bad.   should i take it apart or is the fan test different for the 80gigz?

Message 28 of 31 (4,003 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
556 posts

Jan 12, 2013

it wont damage your system unless your system is aging or faulty in most cases, however its not a good idea to run anything full tilt over and over.

Message 29 of 31 (3,999 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Jan 12, 2013

Seriously 3 years?

Furiously Chaosing
Message 30 of 31 (3,996 Views)
0 Likes