Jan 06 2010
By: RecoStar Sackboy 503 posts

Does the PS3 Fan test/Cleaning mode damage your PS3 ? Rumors speculating

30 replies 36565 views Edited Jan 6, 2010

Im really trying to get some clarification here., I figured someone from are community might be able help fill me in on what this actually does to the PS3. 

Im a little confused over what that feature actually is, not trying to be condescending, its just been described as either being a "Fan Test" function or  "Cleaning mode". 

So what is it ?  to test your PS3's fan or to clean it.

I have heard that the  "Fan Test/Cleaning mode" feature actually harms your PS3.

Heres a  link  to a guy who says that he did the Fan test/cleaning and three blinking lights came up, so he called Sony and they said it was overheating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Oo7nfUuFB4&feature=PlayList&p=D94E9AF8E9974CC2&playnext=1&playnext_f...

Here is a link of a guy explaining why he believes that it in fact does NOT hurt your PS3.

There are  Youtube links out there saying it does hurt your PS3 but I thought this guy made some valid points about why it doesn't, what do you guys think ?

here's the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tpihE7vIpA&feature=related

Yes, I know a couple links to some Youtube videos is hardly solid evidence over weather it does or doesn't do damage to your PS3 but just doing a quick Google search will pop up links leading to forums or videos of people protesting it does and doesn't damage your console. So there's a lot of confusion here that I was hoping i could get cleared up. I have always found the PS3 community the best place to go for any information on the PS3.

Biggest reason why I want to know if it does damage your unit is because I want to try it out. : P

P.S   thanks for reading my wall of text

Message 1 of 31 (36,565 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5251 posts

Re: Does the PS3 Fan test/Cleaning mode damage your PS3 ? Rumors speculating

Jan 6, 2010
When you do this your are intentionally overheating your PS3. In fact you are frying your motherboard.
Message 2 of 31 (36,565 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
503 posts

Jan 6, 2010

Ray186 wrote:
When you do this your are intentionally overheating your PS3. In fact you are frying your motherboard.

Such a strange feature to have on the system, I thought for sure it would serve some kind of usefull  purpose. So many people are calling it the "Fan Test" or "Cleaning Mode" that i thought it was a normal function the PS3 had and is perfectly safe.

Message 3 of 31 (36,565 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2306 posts

Jan 6, 2010

RecoStar wrote:

Im really trying to get some clarification here., I figured someone from are community might be able help fill me in on what this actually does to the PS3. 

Im a little confused over what that feature actually is, not trying to be condescending, its just been described as either being a "Fan Test" function or  "Cleaning mode". 

I have heard that the  "Fan Test/Cleaning mode" feature actually harms your PS3.

Heres a  link  to a guy who says that he did the Fan test/cleaning and three blinking lights came up, so he called Sony and they said it was overheating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Oo7nfUuFB4&feature=PlayList&p=D94E9AF8E9974CC2&playnext=1&playnext_f...

Here is a link of a guy explaining why he believes that it in fact does NOT hurt your PS3.

There are  Youtube links out there saying it does hurt your PS3 but I thought this guy made some valid points about why it doesn't, what do you guys think ?

here's the link

Yes, I know a couple links to some Youtube videos is hardly solid evidence over weather it does or doesn't do damage to your PS3 but just doing a quick Google search will pop up links leading to forums or videos of people protesting it does and doesn't damage your console. So there's a lot of confusion here that I was hoping i could get cleared up. I have always found the PS3 community the best place to go for any information on the PS3.

Biggest reason why I want to know if it does damage your unit is because I want to try it out. : P

sony said that doing the "fan test" can damage the GPU so it might not be a good idea to do it. the 40 gig ps3 are the easiest to do so on, but on other systems where they say to turn it upside down, that method is definately harmful for the ps3 and you should not attempt. the fan test basically forces the system to overheat, which in turn lessens the life of the ps3. you might here people say they do it all the time but, i guarantee they won't be saying that when their ps3 dies.

Photobucket
Message 4 of 31 (36,565 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5251 posts

Jan 6, 2010
Message 5 of 31 (36,565 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
503 posts

Jan 6, 2010

MrJenkins6390 wrote:

RecoStar wrote:

here's the link

sony said that doing the "fan test" can damage the GPU so it might not be a good idea to do it. the 40 gig ps3 are the easiest to do so on, but on other systems where they say to turn it upside down, that method is definately harmful for the ps3 and you should not attempt. the fan test basically forces the system to overheat, which in turn lessens the life of the ps3. you might here people say they do it all the time but, I guarantee they won't be saying that when their ps3 dies.

Im glad I came here for some clarification because there's a lot of speculation out there over what in fact it does.  If you read threw some of the Comments made on the Youtube links ,beside's being ridiculously crude and funny, you will see that some people are doing this every day before using there system. Many are very adamant that it does clean the system, Not saying there right, just seems strange for a feature likes this to be so easily accessible but it in fact will damage your system. Im wondering if it may have something to do with diagnostics testing your PS3.When it's sent into for repairs they might have it  hooked up to a CPU or hardware designed to signal off errors that can be detected when this feature is being run. more speculation.LOL 

Still know one seems to know what this feature is for. 

Message 6 of 31 (36,565 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
179 posts

Jan 6, 2010

MrJenkins6390 wrote:

RecoStar wrote:

here's the link

sony said that doing the "fan test" can damage the GPU so it might not be a good idea to do it. the 40 gig ps3 are the easiest to do so on, but on other systems where they say to turn it upside down, that method is definately harmful for the ps3 and you should not attempt. the fan test basically forces the system to overheat, which in turn lessens the life of the ps3. you might here people say they do it all the time but, i guarantee they won't be saying that when their ps3 dies.

I don't think so, How could the GPU overheat the Second the mode starts.  The Fan Test Forces the Basic Functions to work.  It doesn't load the OS, and that is why you can eject the Disk after you get a YLOD.  This is like saying that the PS2 old model will get the Disk Read Error if you position the PS2 upright.  It is a Myth and doesn't cause a problem.  Also since the YLOD is solder Joint Cracks, then if the GPU was detached then the Fan test would not work since people say it Forces the GPU to Overheat.  If that was the Case then it would not overheat as the Fan Would be cooling off the Heat sinks. I say with confidence that this rumor is False and wont cause harm to the PS3.  I usually Gut the PS3 to clean it out, But that"s just me.

Jakthebomb,

Message 7 of 31 (36,565 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
503 posts

Jan 6, 2010

I don't think so, How could the GPU overheat the Second the mode starts.  The Fan Test Forces the Basic Functions to work.  It doesn't load the OS, and that is why you can eject the Disk after you get a YLOD.  This is like saying that the PS2 old model will get the Disk Read Error if you position the PS2 upright.  It is a Myth and doesn't cause a problem.  Also since the YLOD is solder Joint Cracks, then if the GPU was detached then the Fan test would not work since people say it Forces the GPU to Overheat.  If that was the Case then it would not overheat as the Fan Would be cooling off the Heat sinks. I say with confidence that this rumor is False and wont cause harm to the PS3.  I usually Gut the PS3 to clean it out, But that"s just me.

Your input is very much so valued and seeing that most of what your saying makes perfect sense its hard to dispute. These are some of the many valid points people are making about the "Fan Test/Cleaning Mode".

Disputes like,

Why would Sony put it there if it was harmful,

If the fans is working at faster speeds then how could it cause the console to over heat, and many ,many more.

It would be great if there was a link somewhere with an official statement from Sony clarifying this feature and what it actually does. Most that dispute that it does or doesn't hurt your PS3 have yet to provide any link to an official statement made by Sony saying clearly what it does. Looks like were all in the dark here on this one, Unless someone came give some more reasoning into why it may or may not hurt the PS3.

Message 8 of 31 (36,565 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
503 posts

Jan 6, 2010
We need Mythbusters for this on..LOL
Message 9 of 31 (36,565 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2306 posts

Jan 6, 2010

jakthebomb wrote:

MrJenkins6390 wrote:

doing it on the 40gigs might not be a problem, but doing it on any other system is forcing it to overheat. so why overheat the system if you don't need to? as far as doing it on 40 gig systems, why risk it. it is already obvious that there are factors that can end the life of a ps3 short. if it was an essential function, sony would have it on all the ps3's. maybe the term of it describes why sony implemented it on the 40GB systems. it was a test

Photobucket
Message 10 of 31 (36,565 Views)
0 Likes