Feb 17 2013
By: mmmitchy First Son 11 posts

Does installing through a disc require double the space like the PSN requires?

4 replies 176 views Edited Feb 17, 2013

I own a 40 GB model (will be upgrading HDD to 500 GB when I get the money), and recently got burned by buying a game on the PSN that's 21 GB and learning that it needs twice the space.

Do the discs operate the same way? I would imagine the installer would be on the disc and would only require the base amount. Can't hurt to ask though. :smileytongue:

Message 1 of 5 (176 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
31825 posts

Re: Does installing through a disc require double the space like the PSN requires?

Feb 17, 2013

mmmitchy wrote:

I own a 40 GB model (will be upgrading HDD to 500 GB when I get the money), and recently got burned by buying a game on the PSN that's 21 GB and learning that it needs twice the space.

Do the discs operate the same way? I would imagine the installer would be on the disc and would only require the base amount. Can't hurt to ask though. :smileytongue:

Disc games are just that, the game is on the disc, some data is of course transferred to the HDD when first you start the game up, this is to enable faster reading & load times etc, but to answer your question, no disc games do not need double the size like digital ones do.

BRIT-KO

Message 2 of 5 (96 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1011 posts

Re: Does installing through a disc require double the space like the PSN requires?

Feb 17, 2013
Like Brit said, installing a game off of a disc only makes it load faster. It will take less space than downloading the full game off of the ps store.
My PSN
Message 3 of 5 (76 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
8949 posts

Feb 17, 2013

mmmitchy wrote:

PSN downloaded games need twice the space only to install.  Once the game is installed, the installer is automatically deleted, which frees up the space it was taking.  When a disc game installs anything to the HDD, it is usually less than 5GB (the vast majority of games are 1-2GB), and as already stated, only to assist with load times from the disc.

Message 4 of 5 (65 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
201 posts

Feb 20, 2013
The last comment isn't true lol cause I just downloaded Vanquish and right before I downloaded it I had 30 gigs left and now I'm down to 29 so the game said it uses 12 gigs so basically the whole 12 is on my hard drive lol
Message 5 of 5 (50 Views)
0 Likes