Highlighted
First Son
9 posts

Re: Does anyone bother buying/renting movies on PSN?

last month

i will not buy digital movies, there is absolutely no way possible they can convince me they will be around forever. When 4K TV's first came out, Sony had a 4K media player which cost a few hundred dollars. guess what? that service is no longer in existence. i have a 4K tv and there is an app for buying/renting 4K movies from Sony. no thank you.

now, however, through PSN i will rent movies and pay a dollar extra for it to be in HD. They have some odd ball movies that other places dont get. for example, the Attack of the Titan live action movies. i rented those and liked them.

now just about everyone responding to this post keeps talking about Netflix and Amazon, remember, he asked about renting/buying from Sony PSN.....

Message 31 of 40 (199 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3644 posts

last month

BRIT-KO wrote:

@Patchex

Patchex wrote:

BRIT-KO wrote:

@BatmanDarkKn7ght

Never!

BRIT-KO

Really? Never? @BRIT-KO

BRIT-KO

LOL That was Cute...

@BRIT-KO May I ask why you do not buy or rent on Playstation? You actually have not given us your views or a reason why...

PopcornKeith wrote:

i will not buy digital movies, there is absolutely no way possible they can convince me they will be around forever. When 4K TV's first came out, Sony had a 4K media player which cost a few hundred dollars. guess what? that service is no longer in existence. i have a 4K tv and there is an app for buying/renting 4K movies from Sony. no thank you.

now, however, through PSN i will rent movies and pay a dollar extra for it to be in HD. They have some odd ball movies that other places dont get. for example, the Attack of the Titan live action movies. i rented those and liked them.

now just about everyone responding to this post keeps talking about Netflix and Amazon, remember, he asked about renting/buying from Sony PSN.....

@PopcornKeith

Sweetheart, nothing is forever, not even Diamonds... 

Actually with the new Pro Ps4 and PSVR, 4K is back... coupled with support for those 4k TVs... yet as a friend of mine pointed out we can not even see the kind of resolution close to 4k, no where close... 

Now the reason for a 4k tv and such abilities, (as far as I can think of anyway, and if I am wrong someone please correct me... ) is for things like a Movie screen or a Tv that need to be seen far and wide... Like a huge public viewing. Say you have a tv that can read that 4000 pixels per square inch, yet the system only sends 480 pixels per square inch... the picture will be very blurry, yet if the 4000 pixels inside of one inch can read every color difference, you will see ever color tone difference in that section. Great for huge displays for mass showing or screens. Like a Movie theater or outside Event Screen. 

I personally do not think I have rented or bought anything in HD because PS3 is not really HD... I think some might be in 1080 p, (I think that means 1080 pixels per square inch...) yet the Ps3 typically sends out a 720 or 480 signal... in other words buying hd on ps3 is kinda a waste... 

As for your comment about renting from Amazon and Netflix... 

when  posted I talked about all in referance to each other... 

I actually made some mistakes in my post so I will try and fix them here... 

My first movie bought was not for my children... I went back and checked my history and my first one was Hellboy II, and I remember why I rented it... It was a Promo... plus with all my Blockblockbusters gone, I could not just go and rent a movie... (plus I was boycotting RedBox and Netflix at the time... and had not yet discovered how convienient Amazon was... and is... )

I do not pirate, so I needed to find a way to get content I wanted on my PS3... (at the time I was very weary of online purchasing... ) Hellboy II was actually the very first digital Movie I ever bought... It was wierd, because I am kinda against Digital for fear like you ( @PopcornKeith) that they will not be around forever... 

My next purchases were because the items I was looking for were hard to find and pricy on Disk, esspecially if I did not like them... (Like Samuri Shamploo, and Ghost in the Shell the tv Series... (I had seen Samuri Shamploo a long time ago on Adult Swim, and I owned the original Ghost in the Shell movie subed...) 

These were kinda expensive if I remember correctly, yet for 1.99 I could try out things I might not have in my area... Plus I did not buy cable so I do not have access to TV like Most... (I do not care much for TV anymore... I only ever watched some channels, like Cartoon network-Adult Swim... Cooking Channel, Animal Chanels, History channels and PBS free channels. And I do not think the cost associated with my particular choice in telivision is worth the content. Plus I do not care to much for commercials.) 

The First Video I bought for my children was not a Disney Movie... It was Furngully, and the VHS had eaten their Tape... (there was a great price on it.... 4.99)  I was still using VHS at the time... When I worked at Blockbuster they stopped making VHS, (I bought huge collections of kids movies at the time for under 50 cents each then)  which is primaraly what I grew up with, sadly like Cassette tapes they could be damaged easily... Digital copies that can be carried over to any system you purchase is a great idea... it not only elliminates the Damage factor it also almost Eliminates the Carbon footprint that the plastic and magnetic stips contain. Which is why I thought I would try the Digital... 

Sadly This is a very expensive way to go it seems even if there are some good deals... Amazon Prime, Netflix and Redbox are as right now for me, are the least expensive and accessable ways for me to watch movies or rent them and rent games... Although Redbox no longer seems to offer ps3 games, maybe because no one is making them anymore. 

photo NewVLR-1.jpg
Message 32 of 40 (184 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
164 posts

last month

Rent yes, buy no.

While we have Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Crunchyroll, sometimes there are new releases (for rent) that we want to see, and we don't necessarily wat to wait to see if Netflix or Prime evenually get them.  My wife and I don't get out to the movies much, so there are usually a few releases each year we'd like to see, but don't get a chance to.  In these instances, we're happy to rent.  We have lots of incoming bandwidth, so it's a super quick and easy way to watch a new release.

(I will note here that PS Video is usually our second choice, I find here in Canada that Apple's iTunes store is usually $1 cheaper, and streams just fine to our AppleTV).

I don't buy movies on such services, however.  If it's something I love so much I'll watch it more than once, I want it on BluRay.  BluRay has a much higher quality, and sometimes offers DTS audio.  I also prefer 3D BluRay when available -- that doesn't even seem to be an option in PS Video on the PS4 that I can see.  You also often get the advantage of an included "digital download" version, so you get the best of both worlds.

My discs will continue to work years from now.  Videos bought through an online service rely on that service's DRM servers permitting you to watch them, or even allowing your old hardware to connect to them.  My BluRay player will continue to function for the foreseeable future.  They can't take that away from me.

Yaz.

Message 33 of 40 (173 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
44282 posts

last month

@Patchex

Patchex wrote:

BRIT-KO wrote:

@Patchex

Patchex wrote:

BRIT-KO wrote:

@BatmanDarkKn7ght

Never!

BRIT-KO

Really? Never? @BRIT-KO

BRIT-KO

LOL That was Cute...

@BRIT-KO May I ask why you do not buy or rent on Playstation? You actually have not given us your views or a reason why...

It's simple really, at least to me, basically I already feel that I have enough, probably too many actually, choices to give me what I want, If I choose to I can rent/buy from my cable TV provider, Netflix, Amazon Prime etc, having said that, although I am a big movie fan, I do not buy or rent from my available choices listed above either, I don't need or want to own a movie, I just personally see no point in doing so.

BRIT-KO

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_300x50_002B.jpg

Customer Service Available Mon-Fri 8am - 8pm
General Enquires - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Account & Billing Support -1-877-971-SONY (7669)

Live Chat Available Mon-Sat 6am-10pm PST & Sun 6am-8pm - LiveChat
Message 34 of 40 (158 Views)
Fender Bender
3644 posts

last month

BRIT-KO wrote:

@Patchex

Patchex wrote:

BRIT-KO wrote:

@Patchex

Patchex wrote:

BRIT-KO wrote:

@BatmanDarkKn7ght

Never!

BRIT-KO

Really? Never? @BRIT-KO

BRIT-KO

LOL That was Cute...

It's simple really, at least to me, basically I already feel that I have enough, probably too many actually, choices to give me what I want, If I choose to I can rent/buy from my cable TV provider, Netflix, Amazon Prime etc, having said that, although I am a big movie fan, I do not buy or rent from my available choices listed above either, I don't need or want to own a movie, I just personally see no point in doing so.

BRIT-KO

That makes sense Brit... I can understand that... I personally like to support the people making movies when and how I can by buying/renting them rather then relying only on services like Amazon and Netflix... I hope when I do purchase Movies or series that I really enjoy that some of the money associated with my purchases go to the folks who acted and produced as well as the camera Grips and Stage hands pockets. I hope that is how it works. I am not sure honestly if it does... yet I do wish to see more movies and shows in the future for us... and this I hope helps us to see that in the future. Same is true for Games... I do buy alot of used games that are old because the pricing is good, however I do pay for Plus every year and now buy some digital and pre Ordered  or current Game Disks in hopes to keep our Game companies and Developers in buisness... 

photo NewVLR-1.jpg
Message 35 of 40 (125 Views)
Big Daddy
13175 posts

last month

Patchex wrote:
 I hope when I do purchase Movies or series that I really enjoy that some of the money associated with my purchases go to the folks who acted and produced as well as the camera Grips and Stage hands pockets. I hope that is how it works.

Related image

All those people were already paid.

Message 36 of 40 (119 Views)
Fender Bender
3644 posts

last month

CMCSAVAGE wrote:

Patchex wrote:
 I hope when I do purchase Movies or series that I really enjoy that some of the money associated with my purchases go to the folks who acted and produced as well as the camera Grips and Stage hands pockets. I hope that is how it works.

All those people were already paid.

I do not doubt that they already got a pay check, seeing that it was put out on the market... Yet if people like me do not buy them to help support the projects of movies and games then the next installments of similar movies and games might not be possible... which is why piracy is not a victimless crime. 

photo NewVLR-1.jpg
Message 37 of 40 (109 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

5 weeks ago

you have to leave Netflix out of the equasion, Netflix is a streaming service, you can still rent DvD's i think, but you can not buy any movie from Netflix

Message 38 of 40 (65 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3644 posts

5 weeks ago

PopcornKeith wrote:

you have to leave Netflix out of the equasion, Netflix is a streaming service, you can still rent DvD's i think, but you can not buy any movie from Netflix

Actually you can buy movies from Netflix, same as Redbox. If you keep it too long, or sometimes they will offer to let you buy a rental disk if they are cycling some of them out due to the age of the Movies release. 

photo NewVLR-1.jpg
Message 39 of 40 (58 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
31 posts

5 weeks ago
I do the psn demos for games but I dont rent movies.
Message 40 of 40 (44 Views)
0 Likes