Reply
Aug 24 2013
By: Aztec_MC Survivor 2532 posts
Offline
Accepted Solution

Does PS4 have Graphic Standards?

22 replies 388 views Edited Aug 24, 2013

PS3 had 720p standard... 99% of all PS3 games were 720p (only BF3 was 700p).

 

I was assuming PS4 would move to 1080p as a standard. There's news now that BF4 is still 700p!! The fact that some games are still deciding if they can do 1080p or 60fps is very shocking. In my Wallet's opinion, anything less than 1080p/60fps is not acceptible. 

 

You can't let a game slide, because if there's no standards, and its cheaper to make 720p/30fps games, than most Dev's will head in that direction... Standards are important, like including a Mic in every PS4 (That is Awesome).

 

PS3 with ALL of their Standards in 2006 made it a clear choice that it was worth $700, plus getting all new Theater equipment... yet, I still don't know if PS4 is worth $399?? It only has 4GB of Ram & it probably STILL doesn't have IN-GAME CUSTOM MUSIC.

 

Why jump to next-gen if you can't make a simple next-step from 720p/30fps to 1080p/60fps?

Photobucket


Monthly Subscription for Online Multiplayer is an Xbox Policy

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 23 (388 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 06/22/2013
Offline
363 posts
 

Re: Does PS4 have Graphic Standards?

Aug 24, 2013

They have confirmed playing custom music already

 

and 8gb of GDDR5 ram 4.5gb reserved for games with more accessible if needed.

 

Spend less time picking fancy colors for your words and a little more doing research

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 23 (379 Views)
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 10/08/2007
Online
4391 posts
 

Re: Does PS4 have Graphic Standards?

[ Edited ]
Aug 24, 2013

Aztec_MC wrote:

PS3 had 720p standard... 99% of all PS3 games were 720p (only BF3 was 700p).

 

I was assuming PS4 would move to 1080p as a standard. There's news now that BF4 is still 700p!!<=== debunked, creators say they are optimizing it to be 1080p by release

http://www.gamepur.com/news/11830-battlefield-4-720p-and-60-fps-ps4-are-not-final-resolution.html

The fact that some games are still deciding if they can do 1080p or 60fps is very shocking. In my Wallet's opinion, anything less than 1080p/60fps is not acceptible. <==== Opinion, some games have to to compensate for other things

 http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-23-why-need-for-speed-rivals-runs-at-30-frames-per-second

You can't let a game slide, because if there's no standards, and its cheaper to make 720p/30fps games, than most Dev's will head in that direction... Standards are important, like including a Mic in every PS4 (That is Awesome).

 

PS3 with ALL of their Standards in 2006 made it a clear choice that it was worth $700, plus getting all new Theater equipment... yet, I still don't know if PS4 is worth $399?? It only has 4GB of Ram <==== Debunked, I seriously need to update my PS4 thread with this but it's actually 6GB for games/devs + .5 for cache/page swapping, 1GB for the OS, .5GB for the recording feature. 

http://www.gamesthirst.com/2013/07/28/ps4-saves-6gb-of-ram-for-games-report/

 & it probably STILL doesn't have IN-GAME CUSTOM MUSIC. <==== Unknown but currently Music Unlimited on PS4 allows it while you play your games.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/08/20/music-unlimited-gets-amplified-on-ps4/ 

Why jump to next-gen if you can't make a simple next-step from 720p/30fps to 1080p/60fps? <==== Opinion, early adopters get a bunch of good games but down the road, just like the PS3, games are going to get better from here on out.


My opinion in red but I popped sine links to back up what I'm saying. Take a leap of faith like the 1.5 million of preordered individuals, you may be surprised :smileywink:... First gen titles look pretty good now but years of optimizing games and getting to know the console will bring fruit to better games in the future.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 23 (346 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 12/30/2011
Offline
3760 posts
 

Re: Does PS4 have Graphic Standards?

Aug 24, 2013

humans cant even see the frames

KZMProductionsGT
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 23 (338 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 07/23/2013
Offline
305 posts
 

Re: Does PS4 have Graphic Standards?

Aug 24, 2013

KZMProductionsGT wrote:

humans cant even see the frames


true and untrue

When a game starts dipping below a threshhold it becomes more noticable. Though in real life like looking at cars drive by and people walking we don't see in FPS since our brain does essentially capture every small detail but most of the time is just kinda like dumping it while in moments of intense stress and alertness can cause you to see things more clearly.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 23 (328 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 08/07/2009
Online
11441 posts
 

Re: Does PS4 have Graphic Standards?

Aug 24, 2013

KZMProductionsGT wrote:

humans cant even see the frames


That would be true for frames over 60FPS.

 

But you can see a clear distinction between 30 FPS and 60 FPS.

 

I've played Borderlands 2 on my PS3 and my PC, and the difference feels like night and day.

 

However, if I set my PC FPS to "unlimited", it doesn't make it look any better than a locked 60FPS.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 23 (321 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 12/08/2000
Online
23812 posts
 

Re: Does PS4 have Graphic Standards?

[ Edited ]
Aug 24, 2013

glaciusx25 wrote:

KZMProductionsGT wrote:

humans cant even see the frames


That would be true for frames over 60FPS.

 

But you can see a clear distinction between 30 FPS and 60 FPS.

 

I've played Borderlands 2 on my PS3 and my PC, and the difference feels like night and day.

 

However, if I set my PC FPS to "unlimited", it doesn't make it look any better than a locked 60FPS.


It's actually not "frames per second", it's the rate at which the image is refreshed. The human eye can't distinguish anything above 24 frames per second until it's slowed to the the rate at which the human brain can perceive the images. The following film was shot at 5,000 frames per second, and slowed to 24 frames per second;

 

 

What you see on your computer screen is because the refresh rate of the image does not match the refresh rate of your monitor. so what we should be referring to is not "frames per second", but refresh rates. Yet like many things these days, the defintion has been mangled on the internet, to mean something that it doesn't.

 

In 1873 a man named Eadweard Muybridge wanted to prove a horse at full gallop, did in deed have all four legs off the ground. So he setup 24 camera in a line at a race track, and rigged them to fire as the horse passed by. A process that took all of one second.  When he developed the photos and flipped through them in succession, he noticed that if he flipped them at a steady rate, they produced a  "moving" image.

 

These are the actual photographs;

 

 

It wasn't long after that the nickelodeon was born (no, not the television network). People in hotel lobbies, bars, and theaters would pay a nickel, turn a crank, and watch a short presentation on a photographic flipbook.

 

Ever since then, 24 frames per second has been essentially the standard for all motion picture filming, editing, animation, and other mediums. The fact the video games came a long hasn't changed this, and I doubt that the human brain has evolved that much over the last century and a quarter to give humans an added layer of visual accuity.

 

What happens in many games is an age old problem called "slowdown". It's where all the visual elements can not be rendered along with all the other game information at a fast enough rate, to produce a fluild image. This is something that they seemingly can't seem to solve as games get bigger, louder, and more visually impressive.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 23 (309 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 06/08/2013
Offline
3508 posts
 

Re: Does PS4 have Graphic Standards?

Aug 24, 2013

KZMProductionsGT wrote:

humans cant even see the frames


You should play Fallout New Vegas. :robotlol:

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 23 (305 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 11/13/2009
Offline
409 posts
 

Re: Does PS4 have Graphic Standards?

[ Edited ]
Aug 24, 2013

I'm only going to say this one more time to you CaptainAlbator. Hopefully you will actually read it this time. Just because 24 FPS has been the standard in motion picture doesn't mean that it's the limit that the human eye can distinguish the difference in FPS. Do you really think that Muybridge, or anyone else at the time knew what the limits of the human eye were? 24 FPS most likely became the standard because it was fast enough to look fairly smooth to the audience but didn't require too much film. The human eye is much more complex and capable than you think.

 

I know I'm wasting my time though. You posted the same exact argument last time. You're still using the high speed cameras in your argument, which actually works against you. This is not some conspiracy to make consumers buy electronics they don't need. If people cannot see a difference beyond 24 FPS, then why the heck would companies waste money developing products that go beyond that number? Why has 30 been the standard in TV? Why are companies creating 60 and 120 Hz TVs and moniters? Once again, the standard does not mean the limit.

 

 

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 23 (274 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 12/08/2000
Online
23812 posts
 

Re: Does PS4 have Graphic Standards?

[ Edited ]
Aug 24, 2013

smoothboarder540 wrote:

I'm only going to say this one more time to you CaptainAlbator. Hopefully you will actually read it this time. Just because 24 FPS has been the standard in motion picture doesn't mean that it's the limit that the human eye can distinguish the difference in FPS. Do you really think that Muybridge, or anyone else at the time knew what the limits of the human eye were? 24 FPS most likely became the standard because it was fast enough to look fairly smooth to the audience but didn't require too much film. The human eye is much more complex and capable than you think.

 

I know I'm wasting my time though. You posted the same exact argument last time. You're still using the high speed cameras in your argument, which actually works against you. This is not some conspiracy to make consumers buy electronics they don't need. If people cannot see a difference beyond 24 FPS, then why the heck would companies waste money developing products that go beyond that number? Why has 30 been the standard in TV? Why are companies creating 60 and 120 Hz TVs and moniters? Once again, the standard does not mean the limit.

 


I'm using the same argument because it's been PROVEN. So far the only thing backing your claim is "it's true because I think it is, and it's different because it's video games". You say the argument works against me, so explain how it does, and "it just does" or "I think it does" doesn't qualify it.

 

Just because something we have proven BEFORE the advent of video games doesn't mean it's become irrelvant since. There are scientific principles that date back to ancient Rome that are still employed today in the fields of engineering and architecture, oh but those didn't have the benefit of a plumber jumping over barrels, so those must be obsolete now. I don't think it's a conspiracy theory, however in my opinion this is something that the "gamers" and the gamer conoscenti WANT to believe because it makes them seem like they are more enlightened than the general populace. As if they are saying "We can tell the difference and you can't". And I preface my remarks by saying what we are actually referring to are REFRESH RATES and not "frames".

 

Nowhere in your statements are anything even approaching historical evidence, or scientific data. If you want to disprove me, then present some SCIENTIFIC DATA, instead saying "you're wrong because you are". Now it's on YOU. Show me the scientific evidence, and I will GLADLY review it.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 23 (265 Views)