Lombax Warrior
96 posts

Re: Does PS3 Slim Overheat?

Aug 30, 2009
On the return slip from the repair facility they said that the fault was overheating but I take what I said back because it does represent other faults as well.
Message 21 of 62 (219 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1472 posts

Aug 30, 2009

Monsignor wrote:

lou61166 wrote:

Monsignor wrote:

el27uk wrote:
It's not large enough for them to recall them but my 60GB and lots of my friends have all YLOD'd and I think that it's large enough to be something for people to worry about.

YLOD is a general hardware failure and doesn't necessarily mean overheating.  Technically, very few PS3s have actually overheated, and most of those were a result of user error. 

That is pathetic to say it is user error with no facts to back it up,go back to sleep.

The facts that I reference are in the treads that the OP admits to having their system in confined spaces.  I don't intend on digging them up for you.  

well Einstein mine overheated,and it is in the open on a tv stand,you do not know,and any facts you dig up will not give anybody a full overview why they fail.all i know is they are ticking time bombs.

Message 22 of 62 (219 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8603 posts

Aug 30, 2009

lou61166 wrote:

Monsignor wrote:

lou61166 wrote:

Monsignor wrote:

el27uk wrote:
It's not large enough for them to recall them but my 60GB and lots of my friends have all YLOD'd and I think that it's large enough to be something for people to worry about.

YLOD is a general hardware failure and doesn't necessarily mean overheating.  Technically, very few PS3s have actually overheated, and most of those were a result of user error. 

That is pathetic to say it is user error with no facts to back it up,go back to sleep.

The facts that I reference are in the treads that the OP admits to having their system in confined spaces.  I don't intend on digging them up for you.  

well Einstein mine overheated,and it is in the open on a tv stand,you do not know,and any facts you dig up will not give anybody a full overview why they fail.all i know is they are ticking time bombs.

Sounds like someone is a little bitter an electronic failed on them.  Let me give you an example:

My PS3 just suffered from the YLOD just last week.  It showed it's ugly self and was proceeded by a blinking red light.  According to forum goers like yourself and even the manual, this represents overheating.  However, the YLOD appeared just seconds after I turned on a system that had been sitting off for 12 hours.  Kinda tough to overheat a cool system in two seconds with a working fan, don't you think?  Well, it turns out that I had a bad HDD.  It was replaced and my system has worked flawlessly since.  Far too many people see that blinking red light (or the yellow light) and jump to the worst conclusion.  So when people hop on the forum and talk about their YLOD, it's funny, because of bunch of people like you come out of the wood work and immediately point their fingers at overheating.  And you'll even do this after the OP has mentioned that his PS3 had not been on for several hours.  I see this far too often, so I frankly don't care what you think or believe.  The amount of PS3 that suffer from actual overheating is shadowed by things like power supply and drive failures.   

Message 23 of 62 (219 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
71 posts

Aug 30, 2009
I have left my slim on for three days straight. the body is slightly warm but the system hasn't shut of or overheated. Seems like a little trooper to me.
Message Edited by dragonkingtatsu on 08-30-2009 09:38 AM
dragonkingtatsu
Message 24 of 62 (219 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1118 posts

Aug 30, 2009

DirtyOFries wrote:

BPatches701 wrote:

Monsignor wrote:

iggy116 wrote:
Hi everybody I was thinking about upgrading to the ps3 slim, but i remembered than back when they made the ps2 slim the system got really hot and it bodered me so i was wondering if the *NEW* PS3 slim overheats too.

Gettin "really hot" doesn't necessarily mean it's overheating.  If you are feeling hot air coming out of your system, then obviously the cooling system is doing it's job.  

Yeah why do so many people think something is wrong just because it gets a little warm on the outside. Of course in such a tight space you are going to feel the heat more than your big concrete block system.

Not only that...but it's like....NEWSFLASH: ELECTRONICS GET HOT

The heat's better out than in.

Water is wet electronics get hot and now you can "upgrade" to a system that does less then previous models. What are they teaching kids today. 

Message 25 of 62 (219 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
181 posts

Aug 31, 2009

Here is a detailed video review where heat is examined on the Slim as well as other things:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyZOD1A2k3k

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYvR9H3vcd0

--- http://www.youtube.com/user/PS3slimComparison
Message 26 of 62 (219 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Aug 31, 2009

I just love the posts that say "it couldn't have overheated because it happened just after being off for several hours".  What people don't understand is that the PS3 actually gets HOTTER just after you shut it off before it finally cools down.  When you shut off the unit, the fan is cut off, too, making the temperature rise until the residual heat starts to lessen from the unit being off.  It is ENTIRELY possible for a PS3 to have a YLOD problem after being turned off for several hours and have it happen on startup.  What's more significant is how long the unit was in use and how hot it was *before* you turned it off.  The best way to turn off the system, by the way, is to stop what you're doing and leave the XMB on for 10-15 minutes and THEN shut it completely off.  This will leave the fan on but let the unit cool at the same time because you're not using it for anything.  Try this in a car if you don't believe me.  The temperature rises first then gets cooler when you turn it off.

PS: My 60GB PS3 had a YLOD after sitting all night that occurred on startup.  I watched the guy take it apart to reflow the solder and mine HAD overheated.

Message Edited by chelieguy07 on 08-31-2009 06:47 AM
Message Edited by chelieguy07 on 08-31-2009 06:48 AM
Message 27 of 62 (219 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
37 posts

Aug 31, 2009
Sorry to seem like Im beating a dead horse but...

It is suppose to run warm to hot. It is an electronical device. Keep in mind it is smaller than your 60s, and 80s and also made with a different material which holds heat differently. Everyone, please just enjoy your Slim. Just relax, quit being hell bent on trying to find something wrong it. Its like some people just sit in front of it and and are tediously looking for a problem instead of just enjoying a game or watching a movie. Our old VHS players got hot. Our CD players get hot, Our DVR's get hot!! When you're surfing the web etc on your cell phone for a long period of time, guess what? It gets hot!! C'mon people. Im not trying to flame anyone. I just want you to put in presepective of whats going on. Its an electronical device, its completely normal for it to be hot.  Stop worrying!!  DONT SWEAT IT! ( No pun intended) Thats what warranty is for. 

Message 28 of 62 (219 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
40 posts

Sep 2, 2009

It's no biggie if you can afford it.    I still have my original 60gig running flawlessly.    Thing is CRAZY loud though.    I barely play PS2 games because im scared of the DVD killing my BR drive.

Now I got a nice quiet tiny little thing.

Vidi well, little brotha, vidi well.

Get your Portable ID!
Message 29 of 62 (219 Views)
0 Likes
dme
First Son
5 posts

Nov 5, 2009

I haven't had any problems with my slim so far... but they haven't been out that long. I would have said not to worry about any problems, but my old 60GB just got the YLOD. It was out of warranty, so I had to pay $150 for a replacement (that problem can't be repaired; they send you a knew system). I ended up buying a Slim and decided to sell the replacement system. I got the replacement back... and out of the box it had the YLOD. It's unbelievable. Thank God that Sony gives us a 90 day warranty on repairs or replacements.

My point of saying all this: everyone saying the YLOD is simply from overheating or something the user does, be quiet. Those may be able to cause the YLOD, but aren't the only ways it happens. Anyway, it realy shocked me when my first system got it... so imagine my feeling when the replacement had the EXACT same thing right out of the box. Thankfully I had the Slim to keep me going.

And no, it wasn't the same system that they had returned. It had a different serial number, etc.

Just always get the longest waranty possible. That goes for anything, though.

Message 30 of 62 (219 Views)
0 Likes