Gaming Beast
1916 posts

Re: Does Anyone Think The Vita Should be Let Go?

May 26, 2013

JuanMdP wrote:
And Tearaway will utilize it too and knowing MM we both know it won't feel gimmicky. But that's what? 5 games out of 100+? Can you honestly say that without the back touch panel the experience on those games would have felt compromised? In paper, the back touch pannel seemed like a good idea, I mean, more possibilities. Hell, certain android / iOs games like the Chaos Ring series could have been brought to the PSV and be played without compromise. It was an idea full of potential that nobody invested on~.

But in practice? The use of it to simulate the L2/R2 in PSOne emulation is cumbersome and overall, in the games that use it, they don't add much. Some games have tried to map patterns to it (fighting games) but the results are less than optimal given that unless you are using grips, you probably touch the back panel by accident~.

Now, cheap as it sounds, the cost of the PSV could've been slightly less without it and much like it happens with the 3D in the 3DS, I really don't think that the system would've suffered without it. But that's just personal opinion~.

But speaking of Tearaway, I honestly do not think the game could have been made without the back panel. I attended a great Tearaway talk at GDC, so I may have a bit more inside knowledge, but it was really designed with the back touch in mind from the start and one of the main reasons it's a Vita exclusive.

Yes, one game doesn't justify the inclusion of a feature, but you have to remember that this was something totally new and thus takes time for developers to fully adopt. Prior to the Vita's unveiling, no game developer ever even considered "back touch" in the design of their mechanics. It's going to take developers to think differently - which thankfully is something Media Molecule has always done.

Message 71 of 128 (150 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
250 posts

May 26, 2013

Nope. Having the Vita is one of Sony's major advantages over M$. If they dropped the price and keep their promise about all PS4 games being playable through Remote Play, It will sell more.

PS1~PS2~PS3~PSP~PS Vita~Dreamcast.
-Killzone Mercenary Beta Tester
Free userbars
Message 72 of 128 (149 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

May 26, 2013
The marketing should be towards the commuter. The people who travel to work by bus,plane,train,etc..

Price point is a difficult thing,seeing the tech you get and the capabilities. A growth in games is coming via E3 and with remote play and gaikai coming i can see sales spiking. The eco system is there its up to us to take advantage.

I'm sure SONY has some suitable bundles coming. I for one would like to see a PS4/Vita/PSmoveEye bundle this holiday. I would gladly pay 600 for that combo.
Message 73 of 128 (147 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

May 26, 2013

Agree, these thing should go at $200 at most with no further cost aside from games.

Message 74 of 128 (146 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
173 posts

May 26, 2013

It's a great little piece of tech. They really should support it more. At least come out with a new model so I can get it Smiley Happy

photo 2224291_zps9f29b322.jpg
This is mah signature. It is a noice signature.
Message 75 of 128 (141 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2536 posts

May 26, 2013
Why do you need / want a new model? The current one is perfect as it is. Most people could say is that it doesn't have some form of included memory for storage but that'd only ramp up the price~.
Message 76 of 128 (137 Views)
Survivor
2444 posts

May 26, 2013
I would say the current one is perfect as is, but it would be nice if they released a slightly bigger one with bigger buttons.
its frustrating how small the buttons are just to make room for the big screen. The screen may be amazing and all but its already a big device I wouldn't mind it being bigger so I could get some bigger buttons.
This is just my opinion but I know theres others out there and a few among my friends agree. I know I have pretty big hands also but they just seem way too small (the buttons, the d-pad and the analog sticks).
Message 77 of 128 (130 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2444 posts

May 26, 2013
And I don't think Sonys gonna give up on the vita, just like they didn't when the ps3 was released.
You know? That other game console they released, that was really costly at first, and didn't have a lot of games/support...
Message 78 of 128 (128 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
47 posts

May 26, 2013

GnomeWizard wrote:
And I don't think Sonys gonna give up on the vita, just like they didn't when the ps3 was released.
You know? That other game console they released, that was really costly at first, and didn't have a lot of games/support...

Oh, that old thing? You mean the flagship system that comes from a line of successfull systems? Naw...I was talking about the other thing that is failing miserably in an already over-crowded market and has shown little to no life.

Message 79 of 128 (119 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4073 posts

May 26, 2013

JuanMdP wrote:
... The back touch panel is the most useless thing ever too~.

Adding to the list ... Little Deviants. Yes, it's NOT a bad game. It shows off what you can do with all the gimmicky features, but it's not just that, it's a fun game. I've seen others review it like it fully a gimmick and that's all. I haven't played through the whole thing, I have been busy with other things, but one day I'll pick it up again and it'll be a ton of fun again. It's great for challenging friends too.

Treasures of Montezum Blitz. A free to play game, you can spend money on it, but you don't have to. Back touch adds to it when kickout mode is on. This is a game that has other versions out there on the pc & mobile marketplaces. TOM Blitz is the slickest version I've seen, it's pretty, fast, rewarding, and limiting if you don't spend money on it (which is a good thing to ride it free and not waste so much time and money)

Message 80 of 128 (116 Views)
0 Likes