Splicer
47 posts

Re: Does Anyone Think The Vita Should be Let Go?

May 25, 2013

Crazy-Maisy wrote:

Indie market hyped up?

Well, Sony is opening up the gaming market letting people make games and actually publish them. Helping them. People make games. Just because it's Indie doesn't make it non good, and just because it's AAA doesn't mean it's really that kind of a quality game. It might, but lets put it this way, many Indie games are NOT phone games, and just because a game is on a phone doesn't mean it's not a good game either.

Everyone starts some place. An Indie developer will make the next AAA someday.

Maybe...but the facts are: 

1) The system isn't selling

2) As a result, Sony can hardly get any 3rd party support

3) Now, they (and some of those in denial) are pretending as if indie games are the answer

They don't seem to know what they want to do with this machine anymore. Before it was market as "console quality games on the go." Now, it's "indies and an overly expensive ps4 controller." I'm not sure that they even know what direction they want to go in. This thing is like a person in vegetative state at this point.

Message 41 of 128 (208 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
742 posts

May 26, 2013

Its no success but I don't think its bleeding money for Sony.

If they can maintain the current support they have now for the Vita, as in 1 first party titles per quarterly and allow the rest to bank on indies, they can maintain it.

I don't think they will invest in handheld gaming following the Vita though for next gen. Its sad to say but if they are, I doubt Vita will be BC because of the stupid back touchpad, its hemorraging money. 

I still think they could have just gone without the back touchpad. Sure its creatively used in LBP but not many other games have made good use of it and its as worthless as 3D is in the 3DS.

They should have focused on catering the Vita to a niche group while trying to make a hefty profit from the machine.

Its install base is weak, and this handheld may go down as a dreamcast.

Regardless, if they did let go of the Vita, Nintendo would have a complete control over handheld gaming. I think thats bad overall as I suspect the entire industry on handheld gaming to minimize rather than increasing.

I can't wait for the day when PSP, Vita and PSone games move onto a TRUE smart phone like device. If Sony had pushed for certain games as playstation mobile as a complete multiplatform storefront for multiple smart phones, imagine the stronghold they would hold over the gaming industry.

If the market worked, Nintendo would be forced to push their games on phones as well.

Handheld gaming is dieing everywhere except Japan. Its only a matter of time before smartphones start taking on Vita sized games and the gaming market for smartphones multiplies because of it and I hope Sony is there first to take advantage of that opportunity. 

PSMobile is half-assed and is not going to cover it. 

If they want to beat Nintendo they have to think outside the box, and one way was to simultaneously create the first ever TRUE playstation Vita phone. They might be still able to create this for the second Vita revision but it might be too little too late. 

Message 42 of 128 (190 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2032 posts

May 26, 2013

KillaCam7I3 wrote:

Crazy-Maisy wrote:

Indie market hyped up?

Well, Sony is opening up the gaming market letting people make games and actually publish them. Helping them. People make games. Just because it's Indie doesn't make it non good, and just because it's AAA doesn't mean it's really that kind of a quality game. It might, but lets put it this way, many Indie games are NOT phone games, and just because a game is on a phone doesn't mean it's not a good game either.

Everyone starts some place. An Indie developer will make the next AAA someday.

Maybe...but the facts are: 

1) The system isn't selling

2) As a result, Sony can hardly get any 3rd party support

3) Now, they (and some of those in denial) are pretending as if indie games are the answer

They don't seem to know what they want to do with this machine anymore. Before it was market as "console quality games on the go." Now, it's "indies and an overly expensive ps4 controller." I'm not sure that they even know what direction they want to go in. This thing is like a person in vegetative state at this point.

1) its selling in japan

2) Sony has tons, but most games don't get localized in U.S. becuase big name developers in U.S. go to consoles, whereas big name Japanese devs go to Portablets

3) its not, but their still fun games. you can't deny that.  (JJ and the BIgfoot mystery is an indie and it is extremely fun)

Message 43 of 128 (189 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8191 posts

May 26, 2013

ACE_GROOOVY wrote:

Long term is me having to wait until E3 to see some new game trailers. Sheez thats like 10 days away, dang. 

When I buy a game system, I put a lot of thought into it. Not only I look into what games there are right now, but what games could potentially be there in months or even years down the road. And, at least with me, it works! I bought the PS3 back when the "PS3-has-no-games" BS was popular, yet 4 years of service later the same PS3 has run for a few thousand hours and with plenty of great games down it's belt and it has definitely outlasted many more "otherboxes." Same happened with the PSP, where I lost two years worth of breaktime on the DMP games.

Now, when I bought the Vita, I expect the same. I will be getting good games over the course of the few years, and I will play the said games when I get around to them

See that? Now that's thinking long term.

But... No one thinks like that anymore, right? Everyone has short attention spans, spoiled by the amount of low-quality flash and smartphone/tablet games that provide instant gratification, and everyone is thinking what is better to have NOW rather than thinking what would be better years down the line.

And, in my opinion, that's the Vita's biggest problem.

Message 44 of 128 (184 Views)
Lombax Warrior
226 posts

[ Edited ]
May 26, 2013

i guess nintendo should let the Wii U go too. i havent played my vita for 3 weeks thats because i already played and beaten all my games. there are many games coming and PS4 is probably gonna  bundle wth vita. if they unleash full remote play. VITA will dominate this year.

<script src="http://www.gmodules.com/ig/ifr?url=http://www.google.com/ig/modules/youtube.xml&up_channel=PSVITAGAMES22&synd=open&w=320&h=390&title=&border=%23ffffff%7C3px%2C1px+solid+%23999999&output=js"></script>

Message 45 of 128 (176 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1208 posts

May 26, 2013

I just want too throw this out there, but. Isn't it possible that Sony designed the Vita with the PS4 in mind?

After all, technically it could communicate with the PS3 so much more, but it doesn't. Which is why so many think that the Vita is failing, when in fact Sony was looking at the future. And, the PS4. Smiley Wink

Just my $0.02 cents.

Message 46 of 128 (172 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
742 posts

May 26, 2013

Makuta1213 wrote:

I just want too throw this out there, but. Isn't it possible that Sony designed the Vita with the PS4 in mind?

After all, technically it could communicate with the PS3 so much more, but it doesn't. Which is why so many think that the Vita is failing, when in fact Sony was looking at the future. And, the PS4. Smiley Wink

Just my $0.02 cents.

You know what the Vita needs?

A game like Starhawk.

Actually thats what I need. Starhawk had so much of its maps in co-op left untapped. I often walk through them knowing its such a waste when prospector uses 1/50th of the entire map like Site-17.

Vita's install base would have embraced the game more and loved it more. It would have been a killer app for the system rather than being abysmal on the PS3.

Then again, I think the Vita couldn't handle it. But then I look at gravity rush which has the largest open world I have ever explored in any single game and think otherwise.

Message 47 of 128 (164 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2032 posts

May 26, 2013

Makuta1213 wrote:

Just my $0.02 cents.

while its true they couldn't, it wouldnt be worth the redesign, and if they change to much in the hardware, all current vita games won't work on it.  also, redesigning the vita isn't needed because its already slim, sharp, and only a year old.  they are making new colors which is nice, but sadly the u.s. has black and white, while japan has 5 colors and like 10 special editions...

Message 48 of 128 (162 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1208 posts

May 26, 2013

Gadirok wrote:

Makuta1213 wrote:

Just my $0.02 cents.

A game like Starhawk.

Actually thats what I need. Starhawk had so much of its maps in co-op left untapped. I often walk through them knowing its such a waste when prospector uses 1/50th of the entire map like Site-17.

Vita's install base would have embraced the game more and loved it more. It would have been a killer app for the system rather than being abysmal on the PS3.

Then again, I think the Vita couldn't handle it. But then I look at gravity rush which has the largest open world I have ever explored in any single game and think otherwise.

Yes! Starhawk on the Vita would be epic!

That, would boost sales if it got advertised correctly. Smiley Happy

Message 49 of 128 (160 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2032 posts

May 26, 2013

Gadirok wrote:

Makuta1213 wrote:

Just my $0.02 cents.

A game like Starhawk.

is starhawk really that good? because i am considering getting it because the ultimate edition is only 15$.

Message 50 of 128 (159 Views)
0 Likes