Feb 14 2012
By: Ming_Dragon Wastelander 842 posts

Do you think the Vita will experience over-heat issues?

13 replies 850 views Edited Feb 14, 2012

I was talking to some of my buddys at work, and they didnt believe the PSV can actually have almost equilivant PS3 graphics. When I told them it for surely did,

they guarenteed that the PSV may have problems with over-heating in the future.

Do you think that may be the case? I mean, Sony has never had massive problems berfore (not like the 360's RROD), but is this a possibility? Is the

hardware really powerful enough to withstand constant gameing (as they promote) each and every day?

Thoughts? comments? concerns?

Message 1 of 14 (850 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12391 posts

Re: Do you think the Vita will experience over-heat issues?

Feb 14, 2012

Ming_Dragon wrote:

I was talking to some of my buddys at work, and they didnt believe the PSV can actually have almost equilivant PS3 graphics. When I told them it for surely did,

Do you think that may be the case? I mean, Sony has never had massive problems berfore (not like the 360's RROD), but is this a possibility? Is the

hardware really powerful enough to withstand constant gameing (as they promote) each and every day?

keep in mind devices are made to withstand some heat.. so yea the vita may get warm to the touch after a long session of play...  doesnt mean it would overheat...  but of course it wouldnt hurt to turn the vita off for a rest once in a while

>

Message 2 of 14 (850 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
94 posts

Feb 14, 2012

Ming_Dragon wrote:

Not concerned at all. Mobile processors are a lot different than non-mobile processors. They are made smaller, run cooler, and don't take as much power to operate. This is partially why your dual-core desktop needs a couple of fans for cooling but your dual-core phone does not. Same concept applies to the Vita. Things are smaller so they do not produce as much heat.

Message 3 of 14 (850 Views)
Wastelander
842 posts

Feb 14, 2012

Makes perfect sense to me, thanks for clearing that up.

And I hear the vita is quad core. Scary i'll have a little handheld device as powerful as my PC. XD

Message 4 of 14 (850 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
33 posts

Feb 14, 2012

Ming_Dragon wrote:

Makes perfect sense to me, thanks for clearing that up.

And I hear the vita is quad core. Scary i'll have a little handheld device as powerful as my PC. XD

It's not nearly as powerful as your PC, unless your PC is an old netbook. But still very powerful

So excited though! 11 more hours!

Message 5 of 14 (850 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
217 posts

Feb 14, 2012

The Vita runs pretty fine without giving off too much heat. It's interesting to note that before the Vita we see today, Sony were working on a prototype that's much more powerful than it is now. Due to the powerful performance, it suffered from extreme heat and ate batteries like there's no tomorrow. As a result, they had to downgrade and underclock it so it'll function better without sacrificing too much performance.

It should be able to work just fine for long period of gameplay, and if it gets warm, that's normal. ^^

Message 6 of 14 (850 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
178 posts

Feb 14, 2012

i remember when me and my friend first got monster hunter freedom unite we played 16hrs on a saturday and my psp got a little warm but it didnt get hot like my ps3 after 5hrs of play

Message 7 of 14 (850 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
595 posts

Feb 15, 2012

Vita has a mobile processor which dosent use as much power as the ps3 cell processor so it wont overheat

Message 8 of 14 (850 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11374 posts

Feb 15, 2012

I have my iPhone 4S in an Otterbox Defender case, and during my speed tests ('To 3G or Not to 3G' thread) it was getting warm enough that I could feel the heat through the case.

Yes, mobile electronics can get hot, and the Vita likely will heat up, but I doubt it will get hot enough to cook itself.  Still, if it gets too hot to hold comfortably, it's probably time to give it a rest, anyway.

Message 9 of 14 (850 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
47 posts

Feb 15, 2012

Remember too that the battery life is clocking in at 3-5 hours depending on what features you have enabled. It's not a marathon machine.

Just doesn't seem to have enough time to get cooking, plus the above posters' technical information seems sound.

Viva la Vita!

Viva la Vita!
Message 10 of 14 (850 Views)
0 Likes