Treasure Hunter
6932 posts

Re: Do you leave your PS3 plugged in?

Sep 11, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

BRIT-KO wrote:

Brink-2-Chaos - Sorry but I disagree, power surges are not the cause of YLOD.

BRIT-KO

I have to disagree with you.

I have seen my cousings PS3 YLOD in front of my eyes on a power surge. 5 minutes later it was raining cats and dogs.

When I used to fix PS3's (reflows and cleanings), I would get a few PS3's in that have YLOD from power surges as well. 

The odd part is that you would think replacing the power supples would do the trick.... nope. A reflow was needed.

Not to say that its a common occurrence, but its not uncommon at the same time.

Grey, I think the PS3 would have failed regardless. If it needed a reflow the power surge didn't cause it. It may have made it sooner but it was going to fail without the surge but it wasn't the surge that truly caused the YLOD.

You should always have electronics on, minimum, on a surge protector. If you have the $$$ get a UPS.

Troll, flame or be offensive:Trolling and flaming is when you deliberately make offensive or provocative comments with the aim of upsetting another user or prompting an angry response from them.We will remove posts or threads which are found to be insulting, harassing, threatening or non-constructive and overly negative. We reserve the right to immediately delete any posting or suspend any user at our sole discretion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRTN97XEASQ
Message 21 of 41 (164 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1465 posts

Sep 11, 2013

i left my first ps3 in my car for a summer day ...he was a good ol boy

photo 4uxeSNX.jpgIn Me

Message 22 of 41 (162 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1006 posts

Sep 11, 2013
oh yeah, isnt there many threads on how to prevent ylod? unplugging isnt on any of them (unless they mention a thunderstorm). basicly, keep vents clean, give it time to cool off after long uses and things like that. but for the ps3 slim and slime and light, they have less cases of ylod so you shouldnt worry.

The-White-Wolf-Sig.jpg

Message 23 of 41 (136 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16827 posts

Sep 11, 2013

SHANE523 wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

BRIT-KO wrote:

Brink-2-Chaos - Sorry but I disagree, power surges are not the cause of YLOD.

BRIT-KO

I have to disagree with you.

I have seen my cousings PS3 YLOD in front of my eyes on a power surge. 5 minutes later it was raining cats and dogs.

When I used to fix PS3's (reflows and cleanings), I would get a few PS3's in that have YLOD from power surges as well. 

The odd part is that you would think replacing the power supples would do the trick.... nope. A reflow was needed.

Not to say that its a common occurrence, but its not uncommon at the same time.

Grey, I think the PS3 would have failed regardless. If it needed a reflow the power surge didn't cause it. It may have made it sooner but it was going to fail without the surge but it wasn't the surge that truly caused the YLOD.

You should always have electronics on, minimum, on a surge protector. If you have the $$$ get a UPS.

You cant really say that for sure. just more speculation

Furiously Chaosing
Message 24 of 41 (132 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

Sep 11, 2013

Geofrodo.jpg

Message 25 of 41 (128 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
45 posts

Sep 11, 2013

Thanks for the tip. I guess it's been programmed into me since I've owned 3 360's now and the RROD always rears it's ugly head. I'm heavily invested in video games in general and just want to make sure everything can last as long as it can.

Atari 2600, NES, Super NES, N64, Wii, Gameboy Advance, Sega Genesis, Mega Drive, Sega CD, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PS Vita

"Wonder why your life is screaming? Wonder why we're Humans Being?

photo daec859e-bed4-420a-8ce4-132c23840589.jpg

Message 26 of 41 (124 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1050 posts

Sep 11, 2013

Yes it was designed to be on for 10 years. Smiley Surprised

Seriously though I have unplugged it for cleanings, vacuuming vents and so forth.

It's good to cut power to your electronics as it gives it a good reboot.

I do it with my router, PC, cell phones ETC......

Courage is saddling up, even though your scared to death.

Atari 2600, ColecoVision, NES, Genesis, Saturn, Sega CD, PS1, PS2, PS3 (2), DS, PSP, 360, PS4, VITA
Message 27 of 41 (122 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1748 posts

Sep 11, 2013

My PS3 has a Power Switch in the Back of it, so I never have to worry about that so called Red Light, 

that I keep hearing costing a Fortune a Year to leave on... Supposedly it's all by it's self is 1 million 

Volts of Electricity over the course of 1 Year, or it's something like that... 

With the power switch in the Back, you can now turn that off, & save so much Electric, & Money, 

so my PS3 is actually saving me Money... & yet it is a Fat Model, ^_^ 

To be honest, it's about the same, I think when your using the PS3, your actually saving mode with a Slim, 

however when your not using the PS3, a Fat Model actually saves you more Money, so in the end, 

both Consoles save about the same ammount of Money... 

And by this, i'm only talking about if your Fat PS3 Over Heats oter wise your actually saving more, 

which isn't the case with all Fat PS3... My old one never Over Heated, but this New one does... ~_~ 

Am I wrong? @_@

Hey, Yo, Waaaaazzzzuuupp!!! .................................................................................................................

Playstation 4
Too much Networking, & Socializing, but yet not enough Gaming... ~_~
Not My Style!!!

Get Your Portable ID!
Message 28 of 41 (113 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4522 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 11, 2013

Brink-2-Chaos wrote:
however Power surges seem to be the leading cause of YLOD from what ive seen ive had a friend whos YLOD'D 4 times due to Power surges

And why didn't he get a battery backup / UPS after the first time?

Message 29 of 41 (262 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
571 posts

Sep 11, 2013
Mine is always plugged in but I turn the power switch off on the back. I'm probably just paranoid, but I figure it also helps save my electric bill and bit. Smiley Happy
- Eric

Message 30 of 41 (262 Views)
0 Likes