Jan 25 2012
By: Domino_101 First Son 7 posts
Accepted Solution

Do Playstation Plus 1 year Voucher cards Expire?

22 replies 10195 views Edited Jan 25, 2012

Question: Do Playstation Plus 1 year voucher cards expire?  There is no expiration date on the card or in any terms that I have searched for.

I mean if i bought a card in store, the store scanned and got it ready for activation, but i end up not actually activating it on my system for years, it would still be ok when i did?  As long as Sony and PS Plus is still around i mean, there are no terms that say the card is invalid after 2, 5, 10 years or anything like that?

Thanks

Message 1 of 23 (10,195 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
41818 posts

Re: Do Playstation Plus 1 year Voucher cards Expire?

Jan 26, 2012

Domino_101 wrote:

Question: Do Playstation Plus 1 year voucher cards expire?  There is no expiration date on the card or in any terms that I have searched for.

I mean if i bought a card in store, the store scanned and got it ready for activation, but i end up not actually activating it on my system for years, it would still be ok when i did?  As long as Sony and PS Plus is still around i mean, there are no terms that say the card is invalid after 2, 5, 10 years or anything like that?

Thanks

I hope you don't mind me saying but that's a slightly unusual question, having said that I can't really see a reason when someone would buy a PS Plus card, or PSN card for that matter & not use it pretty much instantly, it's like why buy it in the first place, know what I mean?

Having said that, possibly excluding CA, where gift cards don't expire, I was under the impression that "normal" PSN Cards expired after 1 year, so it may be that the same rule applies to PS Plus Cards too?

Unless another Forum member can confirm or deny what I have already said I can only suggest contacting Sony customer service for a definitive answer.

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Account & billing Support -1-877-971-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri 8am - 8pm PST
Message 2 of 23 (10,195 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5113 posts

Jan 26, 2012

Brit is correct ALL playstion cards 20,50, and the plus ones are good for 12 months from the purchaased date

Message 3 of 23 (10,195 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Jan 27, 2012

That seems really weird that these cash vouchers would expire. Especially with there being no expiration date on the cards. Why would they do that? There are plenty of reasons someone would wait to activate, so all that policy is doing is creating potential headaches for their customers and possibly depriving them of what they paid for. With no warning on the card and for no logical reason I can think of. And the reason I may wait to activate is that I will possibly be out of country for a year or more soon, and even if I'm not I want to wait for another bonus month or free game offer without the worry of my cards I got as gifts becoming worthless plastic. Guess I Will have to talk to Sony customer support.

Message 4 of 23 (10,195 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
41818 posts

Jan 27, 2012

I don't think it's weird at all Domino, "normal" PSN cards have a one year validity date, it made sense to me that the same would apply to the PS Plus cards too, it's not at all unusual to have an expiration date & one year (12 months) is pretty normal.

In the same way I don't see many people buying a PSN or Plus card & then not activating it for over a year I also I fail to see all these so-called potential headaches coming to fruition, it's not like these Forums are full to bursting with complaints from people saying "I purchased a PSN / PS Plus card 12 month ago & it doesn't work when I try to activate it", in fact I don't recall a single post like this, so depriving customers of something they have paid for is a non-starter for an argument in my view.

You can of course talk to Sony CS if you so wish, I could be wrong however I don't think they'll be telling you more than i already have here.

Message 5 of 23 (10,195 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
24784 posts

Jan 28, 2012

It seems like a moot point to me. You may go away for a year? So what? Add the funds from the card to your wallet before you go. The card may expire but your wallet won't.

Message 6 of 23 (10,195 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Jan 31, 2012

In response to ne1atall you are thinking of PSN cash.  This is the PS plus forum you are in, and that is what i am referring to.  So your suggestion does not apply.  If I activate a PS plus 1 year subscription, then leave for a year without a PS3, it does not help.

Again in response to Brit-ko, all i did was ask if PS plus cards I bought are going to expire.  That is in no way an usual question, and i fail to see the point of you continuing to discuss why you think it is.  I did believe the answer may be they expire in year, and I expressed that even if its the case it seems like an odd policy.  Even if it is the "norm".  You paid for it, so why does it matter how long you wait to activate it?  How is it ok for SONY,or any company to invalidate something you paid for just because you did not use it within a certain timeframe, with absolutley NO indication of this on the product. That policy is less "odd" than a consumer waiting to use a credit for any number of reasons (forgot about it/moving/busy/waiting for a promotion to use in conjuction with it).  Another thing that makes this even worse in my opinion, is that atleast gift cards usually say they have an expiration date if they do.  Also, there is an increasing amount of legislation protecting consumers from gift cards expiring.  Laws regarding this are being passed in many states, and I believe from a consumer standpoint they are very good to have.  So i'm obviously not the only one who takes this stance on this issue.  It seems pretty pointless and harmfull to me to have gift card expiration dates, and I think SONY should align their card policies  with this trend in legislation, or at the least print: THIS CARD EXPIRES 1 YEAR FROM ACTIVATION on the card if it actually does.  But that is just a personal opinion, same as yours.

Anyway, I could do without having my question called odd, but thanks for giving what you think is the answer to it.  I still haven't gotten around to it, but I will contact SONY and get the official policy on card expiration

Message 7 of 23 (10,195 Views)
MVP Support
41818 posts

Jan 31, 2012

You asked a question & I answered it, correctly too as it so happens, but I won't be drawn into a protracted argument with you when there plainly is no argument to be had.

Have a good day.

Message 8 of 23 (10,195 Views)
MVP Support
24784 posts

Jan 31, 2012

Domino_101 wrote:

In response to ne1atall you are thinking of PSN cash.  This is the PS plus forum you are in, and that is what i am referring to.  So your suggestion does not apply.  If I activate a PS plus 1 year subscription, then leave for a year without a PS3, it does not help.

Again in response to Brit-ko, all i did was ask if PS plus cards I bought are going to expire.  That is in no way an usual question, and i fail to see the point of you continuing to discuss why you think it is.  I did believe the answer may be they expire in year, and I expressed that even if its the case it seems like an odd policy.  Even if it is the "norm".  You paid for it, so why does it matter how long you wait to activate it?  How is it ok for SONY,or any company to invalidate something you paid for just because you did not use it within a certain timeframe, with absolutley NO indication of this on the product. That policy is less "odd" than a consumer waiting to use a credit for any number of reasons (forgot about it/moving/busy/waiting for a promotion to use in conjuction with it).  Another thing that makes this even worse in my opinion, is that atleast gift cards usually say they have an expiration date if they do.  Also, there is an increasing amount of legislation protecting consumers from gift cards expiring.  Laws regarding this are being passed in many states, and I believe from a consumer standpoint they are very good to have.  So i'm obviously not the only one who takes this stance on this issue.  It seems pretty pointless and harmfull to me to have gift card expiration dates, and I think SONY should align their card policies  with this trend in legislation, or at the least print: THIS CARD EXPIRES 1 YEAR FROM ACTIVATION on the card if it actually does.  But that is just a personal opinion, same as yours.

Anyway, I could do without having my question called odd, but thanks for giving what you think is the answer to it.  I still haven't gotten around to it, but I will contact SONY and get the official policy on card expiration

You're right. I misread that somewhere along the lines with the PSN card comparisons. Sorry. Either way Brit is correct they expire after 1 year. Whether you feel it's fair or not is irrelevant. I think it's unfair also. That's irrelevant too. Many gift cards operate similarly in that they expire or lose value after a certain period of time. You're correct there and I agree that's not fair either. I'm glad laws are being passed against it. You can try to change things for everyone by contacting Sony directly. That has a slim chance at success. Complaining here has no chance of changing the policy.

Message 9 of 23 (10,195 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Jan 31, 2012

Whatever Brit-KO.  I just didn't expect to have someone telling me how odd it is that i would ask if my PS plus card would expire. I told you why i was asking, and you still were expressing how odd you thought my question was.  You said "I hope you don't mind me saying but that's a slightly unusual question"  The first time you said it, i didn't.  The 2nd/3rd/now 4th?  Its pointless and annoying.  So no, you didn't "just" answer my question. 

Message 10 of 23 (10,195 Views)