Jan 11 2013
By: Jack-the-Reaver First Son 1 posts

Digital gaming backward compatibility

9 replies 152 views Edited Jan 11, 2013

This may sound like a dumb question, but being that ps1 and ps2 game can be played if bought digitally on the PS3 would buying PS3 games digitally on the PS3 matter in terms of being backward compatibility on the PS4? 

Message 1 of 10 (152 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Re: Digital gaming backward compatibility

Jan 11, 2013
No one knows that yet, since Sony hasn't officially stated that what PS4's capabilities are yet.

The current rumor is that Sony is going to use that gaming streaming service they purchased to allow all digital games purchased on PSN to be streamed to Sony gaming devices that normally wouldn't be able to play these games on their own...
Message 2 of 10 (142 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
16065 posts

Jan 11, 2013

Well, if you have a PS3, then why are you worrying about it?

Furiously Chaosing

I get you so horked up

Message 3 of 10 (130 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1042 posts

Jan 12, 2013
I think is safe to assume the PS4 is capable of running PS3 games bought on the store. If not the first model that comes out, surely after the PS3 start losing fame.
Message 4 of 10 (120 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jan 12, 2013

Arkthur_us wrote:
I think is safe to assume the PS4 is capable of running PS3 games bought on the store. If not the first model that comes out, surely after the PS3 start losing fame.

No it is not. The PS4 is rumored to use a CPU & GPU totally different than what the PS3 uses, making it not BC with PS3 games. Since the X720 is rumored to also not be BC, I think it levels the playing field quite a bit...

Message 5 of 10 (112 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
162 posts

Jan 12, 2013

Well i see it like this, Sony just disabled PS2 backwards compatability to make money off digital PS2 versions so 

PS3 can "At least im sure " read PS2 format dvds its just Sony disabled the ability to play those games to make money. Come on a HDD and a DVD even a CD and Bluray are the say Mediums they can both store content and DATA. I personally dont see how Sony even gets away with this i mean Software Emulation is possible these days i even have emulators on my PC none required a mod chip or any software update.

I dont know i personally do think its possible to emulate PS2 games on a PS3 sony might just have a special code to disable PS2 Emulation.

SONY IS GUILTY OF: "False Advertising" and Undisclosed dishonest business practices

HomeStuck "Main" - PlushyPillow "PS PLUS ONLY"
Message 6 of 10 (94 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1042 posts

Jan 12, 2013

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

Arkthur_us wrote:

No it is not. The PS4 is rumored to use a CPU & GPU totally different than what the PS3 uses, making it not BC with PS3 games. Since the X720 is rumored to also not be BC, I think it levels the playing field quite a bit...

Wouldn't they lose money with this? My point being, when people start moving to the PS4, they will stop selling PS3 titles on digital format because the PS4 cannot run them? Well, I guess people will try to keep both consoles, but still, the PS3 titles market would reduce in my opinion. Giving the chance to new generations of gamers to play Uncharted or Assasins Creed on a PS4 is (to me) what makes sense, and money.
Message 7 of 10 (77 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jan 12, 2013

HomeStuck_ wrote:

Well i see it like this, Sony just disabled PS2 backwards compatability to make money off digital PS2 versions so 

PS3 can "At least im sure " read PS2 format dvds its just Sony disabled the ability to play those games to make money. Come on a HDD and a DVD even a CD and Bluray are the say Mediums they can both store content and DATA. I personally dont see how Sony even gets away with this i mean Software Emulation is possible these days i even have emulators on my PC none required a mod chip or any software update.

I dont know i personally do think its possible to emulate PS2 games on a PS3 sony might just have a special code to disable PS2 Emulation.

The fact remains that the PS3 required PS2 hardware on the PS3 motherboard to be able to play PS2 games at all. PS2 classics that you can buy on PSN, are recoded to play on the PS3 and are not emulated at all...

Message 8 of 10 (65 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jan 12, 2013

Arkthur_us wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

Arkthur_us wrote:

Wouldn't they lose money with this? My point being, when people start moving to the PS4, they will stop selling PS3 titles on digital format because the PS4 cannot run them? Well, I guess people will try to keep both consoles, but still, the PS3 titles market would reduce in my opinion. Giving the chance to new generations of gamers to play Uncharted or Assasins Creed on a PS4 is (to me) what makes sense, and money.

Again these are just rumors, but Sony may be using that gaming streaming service they purchased to be able to stream any digital purchased game (ps1,ps2,ps3)  to the PS4, so as long as your internet connection is strong you will be able to play and it won't matter if the system itself is capable of emulation.

There is also another rumor that Sony will sell an add-on plug-in that will make the PS4 able to play PS3 game. 

We will just have to wait and see...

Message 9 of 10 (64 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
162 posts

Jan 13, 2013

SCCREW EM!! im not giving them a dime of a PS2 game i already own just to play it on a PS3 the only thing that pissses me of is the lack of PS2 Emulation dude you have to wake up it sure as heck is possible to play PS2 games Sony is just being greedy scamming us

SONY IS GUILTY OF: "False Advertising" and Undisclosed dishonest business practices

HomeStuck "Main" - PlushyPillow "PS PLUS ONLY"
Message 10 of 10 (48 Views)
0 Likes