Apr 01 2014
By: arafeli First Son 1 posts

Digital game prices are unreasonable in Israel

[ Edited ]
6 replies 1532 views Edited Apr 1, 2014

hi

i live in israel and i bought a ps4 in the hopes that the online store will have a real prices to their games

unlike in the stores at the malls\street

but i was amazed to find out the prices where the same(israel price) even if its a digital virstion of the game and not the CD that was needed to be transported around the world  

where (as far as i know in europe and US) the price for a game is 60$\Eu in israel its 100-120$\Eu(normal game or a hipe game)

just at the week end i heared that a copy of the new metal gear solid is 30$ and in the shop i found it for almost 50$

at this point im forced to buy games from around the world, for a reasonable price and wait 2-3 weeks to get it

this prices are way over blown and Unrealistic 

any ideas\help or words of wisdom for a guy that now sorry forbuying a ps4 

Mod Edit: Edited title for capitalization and added Feedback & Ideas label. Check here for more information. Thanks! - TwistedTarantula

Message 1 of 7 (1,532 Views)
Fender Bender
2943 posts

Re: prices are unreasonable in israel

Apr 1, 2014

Hey there! I'm not familar with Israel's currency right now and how it converts to USD, but prices can vary depending on what the transfer rate is. For instance the latest price hike in Canada for the PS4 console to $450 has to do with the currency rate as 450 Canadian dollars = just a bit over 400 USD. Sony needs to have the prices set to make profit or at least break even. When they were selling PS4's for 400 Canadian dollars they were beign sold for the equivalent of $360 USD, meaning they lost 40 USD with each sale. 

However, if I read your post correctly you're saying that games over there cost the equivalent of 100+ USD? Sheesh. That stinks. I know a friend of mine in Australia says game prices are expensive there too (He says the average price is 80+ USD per game). Here's a link to a Kotaku article that tackled this subject awhile back: Monday Musings: The Price is Right?

As for why digital games are the same price as a retail copy of the game I can't really say for sure as there's multiple reasons or explanations for it. Someone else on this fine forum could better answer that particular question than me. 

Message 2 of 7 (1,518 Views)
Monster Hunter
28 posts

Re: prices are unreasonable in israel

Apr 1, 2014

scarecrowman175 wrote:

Hey there! I'm not familar with Israel's currency right now and how it converts to USD, but prices can vary depending on what the transfer rate is. For instance the latest price hike in Canada for the PS4 console to $450 has to do with the currency rate as 450 Canadian dollars = just a bit over 400 USD. Sony needs to have the prices set to make profit or at least break even. When they were selling PS4's for 400 Canadian dollars they were beign sold for the equivalent of $360 USD, meaning they lost 40 USD with each sale. 

However, if I read your post correctly you're saying that games over there cost the equivalent of 100+ USD? Sheesh. That stinks. I know a friend of mine in Australia says game prices are expensive there too (He says the average price is 80+ USD per game). Here's a link to a Kotaku article that tackled this subject awhile back: Monday Musings: The Price is Right?

As for why digital games are the same price as a retail copy of the game I can't really say for sure as there's multiple reasons or explanations for it. Someone else on this fine forum could better answer that particular question than me. 

This was actually a great response to his post. And you're 100% correct, it usually has to do with the exchange rate between currencies. But it can also have to do with certain taxes put on electronics and video games. Every country has there own special way of dealing with these things, it's one of the reasons the PlayStation 4 is so expensive in Brazil and actually costs more than the XBox One does in that same country.

Message 3 of 7 (1,509 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Re: Digital game prices are unreasonable in Israel

Sep 19, 2014
If you live outside of US u can still make a psn us account and via psn cards( amazon/ebay) you can buy games from psn us store, there are plenty of tutorials on internet on "how to do it"
Message 4 of 7 (1,302 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Nov 21, 2014

I wonder if SONY has official contacts who can shed a light on the reason.

Meanwhile SONY is loosing money because I'm not buying game with a rediculous money tag (As many others). Why we have to pay more than US & EMEA.

SONY you can make it right, please do it

Message 5 of 7 (1,147 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
165 posts

Nov 21, 2014

psn games in the uk for GTA V £54.99 = $86.05, when it's on USA walmart for $59.96 which would be in the uk £38.32 dirt cheap i wish the uk paid usa prices.

Message 6 of 7 (1,142 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1423 posts

Nov 21, 2014

These prices are unreasonable everywhere, not just in Israel, its stupid they expect you to pay full price for no box and get the game a week later then everyone else and they don't even lower their prices ever time like they do in retail. A lot of 1 year old games that are still $60, its pretty rediculous...

Message 7 of 7 (1,122 Views)
0 Likes